Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 12:21   #61

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Re: A most difficult decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Thanks Tayana42:
I’m hedging my bets on that, and not doing anything more about a sale until we get back to Florida.
As regards my articles; I have installed some things which may be considered unusual, (if not downright wacky), but that’s what makes them interesting.
Nobody has bought my hot-tub article yet, but other things, like the dinghy hoist winch, over-the-top blocks and the square sail system, have all been a nice bit of extra revenue.

Not to mention the eight pages in Cruising Outpost, which would be my best sales aid if I need it.

Stuff like this really does help sell a boat.

If titanium, your implant is most likely commercially pure alloy, although some Ti6Al is used. If Stainless, it is 316L.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:25   #62

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jolly,

See if you can get your surgeon to have his/her administrative assistant phone or e-mail the company who made the plates: someone there should be able to inform you what alloy (if in fact it is an alloy).

My thoughts on this are that since your body is a relatively stable temperature, the thermal coefficient of expansion will be irrelevant to you as a user. At least, I have not been able to feel a difference between my old s/s and new titanium implants.

Ann
Old 08-11-2015, 12:53   #63

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek question, only relevant when I’m allowed to get into my hot tubs. I don’t even know if a hot tub will be beneficial to this type of injury, but I’m sure swimming will be.
Old 08-11-2015, 19:02   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I have been broken enough times to be the baling wire and duct tape kid. That just means I'm slower and make funny noises when I move. Plus, I get to have a maniacal laugh when a new pain shows up.

Eric I am crying with laughter here (in sympathy), because I am in the same boat. But in my case it also includes superglue and accelerator spray (every First Aid Kit should have those two - and plenty of antiseptic wipes - I'd have lost the index finger on my left hand without them, after being hit by a flying sharp object in a hurricane, but with the young lad assistant managing not to faint while holding things together - he was a real good kid, and is now a real good young man - I superglued it all back together, using accelerator spray to build up layers into a finger splint - it's our scars that define us I think lol!).

Jolly Roger if you find the gash is slow to heal, maybe try some honey on it? My buddy Ron had a real bad time with Warfarin after a heart bypass operation, his blood was way too thin, and the Dr were trying to get him to take even more blood thinners, even though his numbers were fine, to the point he had big holes in his feet you could see the bones in (a real mess). Nothing was getting his feet healing, and the Dr's started talking about amputating his feet, which was why I told him to use honey on them with a dry dressing on top. Heck by then he didn't have anything to lose (only his feet).

It took 10 days for his feet to heal, the Dr's couldn't believe it, and they now use honey for the same situation, believe it or not (my father had a honey dressing put on his ankle last week, which was a nice surprise, and all dressings are off as of today).

Old Ron still has his feet firmly affixed to his ankles, 3+ years later. So if things start getting a bit bad, it can't hurt to try it.

But as the old saying goes, laughter is the best medicine (even if it hurts to laugh), so start watching some of your favourite comedy films and stand up comedians, stuff like that?

A speedy recovery to you, and anybody else that needs a speedy recovery.

eta: Oh and +1,000 on the swimming. It takes about a month of dry heat for me to be able to get into the water, but once in, progress is rapid.
Old 09-11-2015, 17:35   #65

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

All we really have is today and a hope for tomorrow. Might as well try to smile and move forward.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 21-11-2015, 12:57   #66

To all the nice CF members who responded to this post: I thought you might like an update.
Yesterday I was told by the surgeon to get off my butt and start to walk again! Evidently the bones have joined together faster than expected and I can start to put weight on the leg.
So I’ve had my first day of staggering about with crutches.
Tomorrow the world!
We’re still not certain about our feelings for BRITANNIA. We will wait and see how we feel when we get back on board, in a weeks time.
I have had two inquiries, which must have come through the website, because I haven’t yet advertised her anywhere else.
I haven’t been totally idle these past few weeks either, and have had two more articles about the boat accepted for publication early next year.
Best wishes for Thanksgiving. JR.
Old 21-11-2015, 13:13   #67

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Happy to hear you are on the mend. Continued recuperation and moving on your own will make the world brighter. Sun light looks awfully nice reflecting off the water.

S/V B'Shert
Old 09-12-2015, 23:53   #68

I have now been back on the boat ten days and slowly finding my footing. My leg is mending, but my wife and I don’t feel we can handle our boat on our own just yet, so I took the advice of many of you and placed a post for “crew” to the Bahamas in January/February for a few months.
We had plenty of replies and interviewing next week with a few couples who sound suitable.
We have never had anyone on any of our boats who have lived with us for any length of time, and these people are unknown to us—as we are to them.
We are not paying wages, and expect some expenses sharing which we hope to agree on.
Still, I think it advisable to have some sort of written agreement, even for what the expenses are—fuel, food, marinas. etc?
Does anyone have a “crew contract” or a list of things which should be agreed between us, which they could PM to me?
I’m particularly wondering about terms of termination, in case things don’t work out.
Thanks in anticipation. JR
Old 10-12-2015, 01:09   #69

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

Hi JR, we have used crew contracts since 2004 (vetted by my Law School at the time). Can send in a day or so. Currently I'll on board lol cheers Lea

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-12-2015, 05:07   #70

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

As for early termination:

I had a crew member who was very very good. He wanted to leave the boat early to meet his girl friend for a party in Argentina about half way through our trip. I offered to buy his plane tickets, should he stay through the end of the trip.

I believe that should you decide to terminate the employment of crew before their expected leave date, a similar arrangement would be fair.

Good Luck and I'm glad you are still sailing.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:07   #71

Nice update JR.

Keep on, keeping on.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:13   #72

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I have never had unknown crew but I think each case is different. In this case you need them more than they need you for this trip. I can't see wanting them to do almost all the work then asking them to share expenses for fuel and boat running. With the inability to do this trip yourself I would just be looking for the right couple and wouldn't worry about expecting them to split the cost of fuel etc.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:49   #73

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Best wishes on your recovery. I have two bad knees and I find I am stronger and in less pain in the summer, when I am on the boat all the time, than the winter. The boat both forces me to use my knees more and gives me good handholds so that my legs are not carrying all the load. I had my first knee operation when I was 14 and this "boat therapy" has held true for the last (cough cough) 40+ years. Use your handholds and use your leg. I also swim nowadays all winter, so the transition in the spring is less painful.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:57   #74

Very, very wise words! I think the author of this topic could follow them. Know what I'm saying.