Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2015, 13:16   #1

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
A most difficult decision.

Two months ago my wife and I moved on to our Down East 45 schooner, BRITANNIA, with the intention of cruising the Bahamas directly after this hurricane season is over.
Two weeks ago I slipped in the saloon. My left leg went under me and snapped in three places, along with a total dislocation of the ankle. The crack was like a jib filling.
I now have two plates securing the bones and I’m told I might not walk properly for a year. I don’t know if I will be able to even move around on board for some months. I will be 73 next April.
After considerable sole-searching and discussion we have regrettably come to the conclusion that she will now be too much for us, even though everything has been designed for short handed sailing.
We have been renovating BRITANNIA for five years and completely transformed her into a beautiful brigantine schooner. She is the feature boat in eight pages of this months edition of Cruising Outpost magazine. She is a unique little square rigger.
There are a few things which need attention, including fitting a brand new digital color radar, but nothing a normal owner of a boat like this can’t complete or get done, Then she is ready to go—anywhere.
BRITANNIA is lying in Titusville, Florida. My price is $150,000 US.
At the moment I’m recuperating at my daughter’s house in Hickory, North Carolina. We might not be back in Florida for some weeks.
Every aspect of the restoration, equipment and specification is on my website, Schooner Britannia, renovation of a Brigantine Schooner.
All sails are new and roller furling, including the square sail.
I ask anyone interested to PM me, or contact me direct through my website.
This is the very first for-sale posting, and I will be placing her in other avenues over the next week or two. At this stage I’m not inclined to give her to a broker.
I have nothing to hide and will be honest with any serious capable buyer. But please, if you don’t have the money, don’t get involved. This decision has been hard enough as it is, without added frustration.
Old 31-10-2015, 13:38   #2

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: A most difficult decision.

Very sorry to read that post. I feel for you fellow mariner. Your boat is an absolute beauty and were I in the market I would strongly consider. I will have a cast about and see who might be interested. Aye, S.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 31-10-2015, 17:50   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Jolly Roger, I am very sorry to hear about your injury. It must have been an incredibly difficult decision to let Britannia go. She looks beautiful. By the way I did enjoy your article on your square sail in Good Old Boat magazine. I hope you will keep sailing if only through your writing.

S/V B'Shert
Old 01-11-2015, 07:41   #4

I thank you both for your kind comments, it has not been an easy time.
I would urge everyone to be very careful on their boats. Nasty accidents can happen, even to the nicest people...
There is a silver lining: I now have a handicapped tag, so we can park much nearer everywhere.
I am hoping someone will be impressed from my website with the extensive improvements and innovations we have incorporated. Although I always realized the rig might frighten some people with its seeming complexity, although it really can be sailed by two, (non handicapped) people.
BRITANNIA would make a fabulous family liveaboard, having three air conditioned cabins, two showers and a bathtub. It would also make a unique charter boat, with its cabins, its romantic schooner rig, and of course the square sail.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:00   #5

Sorry for your accident. Just spent some time at your web site. An amazing boat! I hope you heal quickly.
Best,
Old 01-11-2015, 08:18   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Beautiful boat! I wish I had $100 for every time I have heard someone say "my doctor told me I wouldn't be able to ... and he was wrong!!!" I could buy your boat with the proceeds.

Odds are you will be back to normal before you sell with intensive physical therapy, so keep the price appropriately high.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:47   #7
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Sorry to hear the news.

On the positive side, in a year, perhaps you can buy another boat and continue your journey.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:46   #8

“Odds are you will be back to normal before you sell...”
I know it is said the two best times are when you buy a boat and when you sell it. But I think I shall be very, very sad if I do happen on a quick buyer, because I will never know if Azul’s prophesy will fulfill.
Although, I’m getting along famously according to the surgeon, “for my age,” (doesn’t one always like to hear that), I am far from content in my own mind.
Even though they expect me to be back on my feet in about a month, he stressed I must be very careful not to strain the ankle again.
That’s not a very good scenario for living on a boat, and we weren’t even moving when I slipped.
As regards buying another in a year or so. Where would I find such a boat as I have built over the past five years? And even if I had the youth, I couldn’t build one, because the total refit cost exceeds my asking price.
Sorry fella’s, I guess I’m just feeling sorry for myself at the moment.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:52   #9

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I can only imagine your sense of loss. You poured yourself into that beautiful boat and made her suit your needs. Now this injury. I guess your only real mistake was getting a year older each year.

S/V B'Shert
Old 01-11-2015, 13:10   #10

Sorry to hear about your injury. Things happen for the strangest reasons.
Hang in there and do your best to get back to what you like to doing. The physical therapy should do wonders.
Maybe you should consider taking a crew with you for the first six months or so. That way you could recover and still enjoy the adventure. Just an idea. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers

Sailing Forum
Old 01-11-2015, 14:07   #11

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Surgeons tend to provide pessimistic prognoses in order to manage patients' expectations. Four to six months is a more optimistic timeframe if that helps perspective.
Old 01-11-2015, 14:44   #12

I hope you are right Sanibel sailor. I don’t have to see the doc’ for another four weeks, and I told him I will be walking into his office on my own.
I had thought about crew, and BRITANNIA is certainly big enough. Unfortunately, we don’t actually know anyone who could take the time off, even for a month. I’ve crewed for other people, both professionally and socially, and I didn’t much like it. So I wonder how long someone would last with me? Anyway, it’s too early for that at the moment.
If I can’t sell her I would now definitely have to have a bow thruster, which is another eight grand up the spout.
I’ll just have to wait and see, but the trouble with sitting round with your leg elevated is there’s far too much time to think.
Old 01-11-2015, 14:53   #13

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Very sorry to read your story and your need to sell.

She's a beautiful looking vessel. I hope things improve greatly for you.
Old 01-11-2015, 14:57   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

All I'll say is emotions reign supreme now, wait until they settle down, don't make a rash decision now. I was going to say, wait until your logic side is doing the thinking, but there isn't muck logic in a boat is there?
Is there a season for boat selling? I think there is and Id wait until then to list so it's a new listing, right at the best selling time.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-11-2015, 15:01   #15

Major bummer Jolly. One never knows and maybe you will come back as strong... and not have a buyer but have a renewed passion for the journey. Oldies face decreased physical capabilities as their wisdom reaches new heights. I wonder if you could find a third younger crew which might not be as intimate but maybe more prudent. I've don't offshore single handing but would no longer tackle due to age even though I have a good idea of what I would be up against. Even with two passages can be difficult.

I vote for you enlisting a strong young crew at least for some of the passage making. And pay! Why not? Really small change compared to all the prep expenses for the journey.

Good luck on a full and speedy recovery.