Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2012, 11:00   #1

Boat: DeFever 49 RPH "Mermaid Lil" in U.S.; Zijlmans Eagle 43 "Mermaid Lil" in Europe
ACR 406 RapidFix EPIRB (internal GPS)

ACR Model 2744 RapidFix 406

ACR Global Fix internal GPS Emergency Positioning Indicating Rescue Beacon (E.P.I.R.B.) with mounting bracket. With the internal GPS the fix is virtually instantaneous…not waiting for multiple passes of satellites to determine your position. Battery needs replacement due to date (approx. $200), although it still works and tests with the existing battery. Stored dry and inside since new (inside a pilothouse). With ACR bag.

$225 plus postage.

Contact me at: scubeinc@bellsouth.net with any questions or picture request.
Old 23-02-2012, 07:24   #2

Re: ACR 406 RapidFix EPIRB (internal GPS)

Hi
How old is the Eprib and also do you know where you can get the new battery from?

Thanks Jess
Old 23-02-2012, 08:42   #3

Boat: DeFever 49 RPH "Mermaid Lil" in U.S.; Zijlmans Eagle 43 "Mermaid Lil" in Europe

Jess,

ACR manufactured it 0404. I found this website that provides location finding for battery service centers. Just enter you zip code and it will pull it up. Find a Battery / Service Provider / Cobham - Beacon Solutions. I have found quite a number of places via a Goggle search, with prices spanning quite a range. $250 seems like a good price (ACR EPIRB Battery Replacement Service).

The EPIRB was bought new at West Marine and was mounted in the pilothouse of my DeFever 49. Never saw any weather at all and is in like new condition. I have the owners manual and also an ACR storage bag in addition to the mounting bracket.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask either at scubeinc@bellsouth.net or via this Forum's private message.

Thanks for asking.

Pete
Old 23-02-2012, 09:17   #4

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Is it this one?;

ACR 406 at Landfall Navigation for $425

Old 23-02-2012, 10:37   #5

No. You pulled up an EPIRB that does not have internal (built-in) GPS. The primary difference is the speed of emergency notification. An EPIRB without a built-in GPS requires several more passes of the satellites to be able to pinpoint your location. The built-in GPS models send your lat/lon information along with the emergency signal. Not only does it make it more accurate with the initial signal, but current drift obviously can keep changing your position....and with the built-in GPS it will continiously send your lat/lon. The ACR's with built-in GPS have a mfg suggested retail price of around $1200, but usually are discounted to around $700.

So, once you replace the battery you will end up saving around $200 by purchasing this one.

Pete
Old 23-02-2012, 12:01   #6

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Re: ACR 406 RapidFix EPIRB (internal GPS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidLil View Post
No. You pulled up an EPIRB that does not have internal (built-in) GPS. The primary difference is the speed of emergency notification. An EPIRB without a built-in GPS requires several more passes of the satellites to be able to pinpoint your location. The built-in GPS models send your lat/lon information along with the emergency signal. Not only does it make it more accurate with the initial signal, but current drift obviously can keep changing your position....and with the built-in GPS it will continiously send your lat/lon. The ACR's with built-in GPS have a mfg suggested retail price of around $1200, but usually are discounted to around $700.

So, once you replace the battery you will end up saving around $200 by purchasing this one.

Pete
Thanks, the comps I was pulling up on this model were all coming up 'no longer available' so I was looking for the price. Looks like it will be a good deal for someone, good luck with the sale.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:21   #7

Hi Pete

Would you take a offer on this item?

Cheers Duncan
Old 10-03-2012, 13:12   #8

Sure. You can email me direct at scubeinc@bellsouth.net

Pete

Tags
epirb, gps