Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2012, 00:03   #1

Aluminum Sailboat (12-15m)

I am looking for an aluminum sailing yacht for long-range cruising/passage making. Insulation is required.

Ideally the boat would have an enclosed pilothouse (with additional helm inside) and a lifting keel. Single-handed sailing must be possible (possibly with some minor modifications).

Length: 12 meters to not over 15 meters LOA (i.e., about 38 to 49 feet; LOA must not exceed 15m).

I would consider a steel boat if the steel is in top condition with all the right coatings and spray insulation documented by a well-regarded manufacturer.

Ideally the boat would be located in East/Southeast Asia. If not, an owner/broker willing to help with getting it there (whether by sailing it or helping to arrange for transport) would be a hugely beneficial.

Budget: preferably not over US$150,000. I might go up to 30% higher for the right boat, but this would have to include delivery to East Asia. (I realize the limitations of this budget.)

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old 17-11-2012, 06:50   #2

Boat: Rhodes 32
Re: Aluminum Sailboat (12-15m)

I think this one is close to your recs (budget / location are the obstacles).

2000 Fair-Dinkum Antarctic Custom Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 24-11-2012, 08:35   #3

I'm in the market for the same type of boat with the same budget but looking to buy here in the US, Canada, or Mexico. As I've found there are very few (if any) well insulated aluminum boats with an enclosed pilothouse in the 40-50 foot range for under $200k.

Of the 4 things I really want: aluminum/enclosed pilothouse/insulated/sub$200k I have yet to find a single boat that meets those 4 criteria. I'm thinking now of expanding my search to include boats without an enclosed pilothouse and then adding one.

-Todd
Old 24-11-2012, 08:44   #4

Boat: Cal 2-27

have you looked for Brent Swain boats? He has a fairly popular 36 that I know of. I think most people build them in steel, but you could build in Aluminum if you want. You could probably build it in aluminum before you find one that meets your criteria available.
Old 24-11-2012, 08:51   #5

Boat: Boereal 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Jordan View Post
I think this one is close to your recs (budget / location are the obstacles).

2000 Fair-Dinkum Antarctic Custom Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
If this boat is still on the market buy it if it surveys OK. That is the deal of the year, beg borrow or (steel) for it. Probably would have to put another 60 to 75 K into it but still cheap and she is a real blue water cruiser.
Old 24-11-2012, 22:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuss View Post
I'm in the market for the same type of boat with the same budget but looking to buy here in the US, Canada, or Mexico. As I've found there are very few (if any) well insulated aluminum boats with an enclosed pilothouse in the 40-50 foot range for under $200k.

Of the 4 things I really want: aluminum/enclosed pilothouse/insulated/sub$200k I have yet to find a single boat that meets those 4 criteria. I'm thinking now of expanding my search to include boats without an enclosed pilothouse and then adding one.

-Todd
I have almost reached the same conclusion. The type of boat that you and I want does exist, but not in our price range. Indeed, such boats are almost common in the Netherlands.
Old 27-11-2012, 02:32   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Maybe this one?

Van De Stadt 40 Aluminiu..., 1995, Price EUR 99.500, Used Sailing boat For sale, Dinteloord Netherlands
Old 27-11-2012, 02:37   #8

Boat: Swarbrick M27 27ft
Lantau, pm me your email address and ill send you through a link for a boat being tendered in Sydney by the government. You might get it cheap... It's fully fitted out for blue water etc and ready to go I believe.

Cheers

Ben

Tags
sailboat