Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2015, 09:04   #1

Any Windvane

Hello all,

I am doing a solo trip from Canada down to Australia this upcoming season and looking for a windvane to put onto my Alberg 30. Being on a bit of a tight budget I was hoping to find a secondhand windvane that would work with my boat, that is in good enough shape to do said trip.
Thank you!

andrew
Old 19-06-2015, 09:17   #2

Re: Any Windvane

East or West coast? I would probably put an ad on Craigslist anywhere along your route down the coast. It seems I see a lot of Monitor vanes etc just sitting on unused boats in marinas here on the west coast. A little prodding maybe one could be yours.

Old 19-06-2015, 09:20   #3

Todays job is posting wanted adds. I recently got a monitor from a neighbouring town, but was from 82 and needed a lot of work to be ready to handle big open water.

Also West coast.
Old 19-06-2015, 17:41   #4

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Minney's Yacht Surplus in Costa Mesa, California had a used Monitor that appeared in good condition for sub-$2k recently. I'd give them a call, if nothing else they might have some leads.

MINNEY'S YACHT SURPLUS - WE MAKE BOATING AFFORDABLE
Old 22-06-2015, 09:05   #5

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor
Any Windvane

Best on the market for an Alberg 30 is the Cape Horn. New they are around $3400 new. Yves gave me a 10% discount for ordering early and waiting a bit longer to produce. Mine worked like a champ. Unbelievable actually in all kinds of winds and points of sail. I've heard lots of cautionary tails about used monitors. Often requiring expensive rebuilds with parts that aren't readily available. monitor has apparently changed their design over the years a number of times, with different parts used in various older models. Check their web site for their own warning notice about older units.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
wind, windvane