Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 13:23   #1

Apprentice Sewing Machine

Anybody that has a Apprentice Sewing Machine available for sale.....please contact Peggy at misspft@aol.com
Old 04-09-2013, 17:29   #2

Re: Apprentice Sewing Machine

Hey Peggy,

A good place to look for used machines are thrift stores, consignment shops and places like the Salvation Army. Here in Beaufort SC, these types of stores have good older metal machines for between $25 and $40 dollars. They would be suitable to sew Sunbrella canvas and would do light sail repair. A couple of years ago we bought a nice older White metal and cast iron machine in a cabinet at the Salvation Army for only $25 and it was a good machine for general use and would sew through about 6 layers of Sunbrella. Also, check craigslist for sewing machines - there are lots out there for sale. If you want to do more serious sewing, you will likely need a machine with a walking foot and more power and "oomph" to get the needle through the fabric. Our big machine is a Sailrite LZ1 that we have owned now for 14 years and it is still going strong. We just sewed a mainsail this past winter with it.

Hope this helps

SvSerengeti
Old 04-09-2013, 18:17   #3

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I highly recommend a machine with a walking foot for canvas work. I also recommend that you consider purchasing a machine with a servo motor or upgrade to one unless you have experience using a commercial machine. And yes, a used machine will save big bucks but make the right one your first purchase.
Old 04-09-2013, 18:24   #4

O.K.

Sorry, but I just realized that "Apprentice Sewing Machine" is a model of sewing machine made by Sailrite. Thought you were looking for a "beginner" machine, thus my earlier reply. Hope I did not take your post in the wrong direction.

Good Luck.

SvSerengeti

Tags
paracelle, sewing machine