Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2012, 07:04   #1

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32
Aries windvane for rebuild only $475.00!

Aries windvane in Annapolis.
This unit is in need of a rebuild. It was completely rebuilt approx.. 8 years ago and has been stored for the last 6 years.
Vertical shaft is not completely frozen, although it is very stiff.
The main frame casting, (no.50 in the aries part list) has some cracking around one of the mounting brackets which would need to be welded when rebuilding the vane. The stainless steel mounting brackets (for a Westsail 32) are frozen in place and would need to be removed by a machine shop. There are two other small cracks also to be welded. A qualified welder could take care of these repairs with not much effort or expense. A qualified welder will render this unit as good as new.
Welding estimates should run around $125.
Machine shop estimates including disassembly of unit runs around $200.

Rudder included.
2 Vanes in very good condition.
Bushings and all other parts used in the rebuild are virtually new as they have had very little use.
Overall condition with the exception of the cracks to the main frame, is very good. See photos for detail.
If you’re willing to put in the time and effort, this could be a good functioning unit for a very reasonable price. Once this Aries is rebuilt you’ll enjoy many years of trouble free use.

Rebuilding hints for the Aries Vane Gear - Standard Model.

Located in Annapolis. Local pickup preferred. Buyer to pay for shipping otherwise. Paypal or cash only.
$475.
Old 25-04-2012, 08:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Aries windvane for rebuild only $475.00!

hello, why did it crack like that ?what type of metal is it that needs to be welded?can the parts be bought new that need welding..I saw one on a boat like mine so I know it will fit, is there some type of hardware that goes with it other than what was shown in photos? thanks DVC
Old 25-04-2012, 09:15   #3

It's cast aluminum and it cracked from water getting inside of it and freezing.

Although the parts cannot be bought new, the restoration from a competent welder will render it as good as new.

All control lines would need to be added, at a very minor cost, and the mounting hardware for your particular boat, which you can have fabricated by any marine metal shop. (Unless you have a Westsail 32 in which case the hardware is already attached.)

Any other questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.
Old 25-04-2012, 16:50   #4
Marine Service Provider

I would like to have it if I knew more about how the alterations would affect it if at all.............Does anyone out in the great CF know if it would be an accepted form of repair,as I am not sure myself and no offense to the OP whatsoever,I just dont know...DVC
Old 25-04-2012, 17:53   #5

Speaking from experience there isn't any way in hell that a "qualified" welder will be able to repair these cracks for $125. They will first have to be ground out so that weld material can get to the bottom and after welding the inside bearing surfaces will have to be refinished. $125??? What planet are you living on?
Old 26-04-2012, 15:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nial View Post
Speaking from experience there isn't any way in hell that a "qualified" welder will be able to repair these cracks for $125. They will first have to be ground out so that weld material can get to the bottom and after welding the inside bearing surfaces will have to be refinished. $125??? What planet are you living on?

Geez….love your tone, Mr Hubris….
Where to start…A little bit of experience, just like knowledge, is a scary thing. I don’t know where you get your info, or what your actual “experiences” are, but before you go spouting off at the mouth, you should at least have some idea of what you’re talking about.
Posted below is an estimate I received this morning from a “qualified” welder. Not only does the price include all of the grinding and heli-welding required, but also includes the removal of the mounting brackets. WOW!, All that right here, lo and behold, on planet earth. Also posted, are photos of a repair job done to a friend of mine’s Aires, 5 years and two Atlantic crossings ago. (Note the close up of the critical spot of the $60. weld)
Just because you’re used to getting ripped off, (your “experience”) doesn’t give you the right to discourage other people from pursuing a project that is not all that complicated or expensive. If I were you, I would take that “experience” back where you got it from and ask for a refund, cuz ya certainly didn’t get what ya paid for…
Don’t go running around accusing someone of being untruthful or ignorant, when you don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.
Don’t you have anything else better to do than trying to kill the “can do” American spirit? What are ya, a commie?
Old 26-04-2012, 16:11   #7
Marine Service Provider

Ok the Commie part sold me, I will take it.Please PM me and we can talk about logistics..I dont think the other guy meant any harm...I have a swim ladder on the rear ,do you think the wind vane can really be used as advertised for a ladder? I live in NC but I am in Fla 4 days a week until my boat has a refit(hard to leave and drive right now )could you mail it for a nominal fee,... pretty please? DVC
Old 28-04-2012, 11:05   #8
Marine Service Provider

Hey are we still going to make a deal?i would like to have the windvane if still avaliable... a friend of mine thinks he can fab another part as he has a very modern machine shop and makes all of my aircraft parts and thinks this would be an easy fix... thanks, Daryl
Old 28-04-2012, 20:15   #9

Daryl, send me your zip code via PM, so I can work out the best shipping costs possible. Thanks, Will
Old 08-05-2012, 15:08   #10

Boat: Westsail 32

Is the vane still available?
Old 08-05-2012, 20:12   #11

I believe the Aires is once again for sale, unless Tropicalescape contacts me by tomorrow evening with his shipping and payment info. If I don't hear from him I'll send you a PM. Thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 16:54   #12

Aires is still for sale.
Old 09-05-2012, 17:09   #13

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nial View Post
The planet where welders work for $10 an hour. It needs more than just welding.
Old 09-05-2012, 20:57   #14

Another live one.. I guess reading comprehension is not one of your strong points. If you were to actually read (and comprehend) my listing you would take note of the welding estimate (see pic's. That should be easy for you), as well as the stated fact that the unit is in need of a complete rebuild. I have clearly represented the condition of the Aires (as the asking price reflects), and the problems that must be addressed to return it to good solid working condition.

I was not directing this listing to people like yourself, that might find a project such as this overwelming. If your not scared to get your hands dirty, and do some of the work yourself, then this rebuild can definely be accomplished using the estimates that I have provided.
Old 16-05-2012, 12:24   #15

Boat: Tayana 37

PM Sent.

cheers,

Matt

Tags
aries, aries wind vane, windvane