Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2011, 21:37   #1

Boat: 1975 ODay 27
Assistance (Dis)Qualifying Online Boat Listings

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this paid request. I didn't know where else to put it.

I am looking to hire someone as a short-term (a few hours probably) consultant as I go through a list of Catalina 30s along the east coast.

I have a budget in mind for the boat and I'm looking to see which of these listings (seen here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...thkey=COzctpYB) would be most worth looking into.

I know online listings don't tell you a lot but I'm looking to make the list of candidates smaller by ruling out some listings and identifying listings that deserve a closer look.

Please let me know how much per hour you would like and hopefully we can get started!

I really appreciate any help and expertise you can offer.
Old 22-05-2011, 22:40   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien - 35ft
Send a message via Skype™ to cyclepro
Re: Assistance (dis)qualifying online boat listings

You might want to try Robert Perry - he has a consulting service that exactly caters to your needs:

Robert H Perry Yachts Designers Inc. - CONSULTATION SERVICE

Good luck
Old 22-05-2011, 22:48   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

If your restricting yourself to Catalinas, the listing on line 137 is a Dufour. Nice looking boat though.
Old 22-05-2011, 23:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepro View Post
You might want to try Robert Perry - he has a consulting service that exactly caters to your needs:

Robert H Perry Yachts Designers Inc. - CONSULTATION SERVICE

Thank you very much for the link! His price is not cheap but I imagine his assistance would go beyond pruning this list. I will keep it in mind and thanks again!

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
If your restricting yourself to Catalinas, the listing on line 137 is a Dufour. Nice looking boat though.
That was in there by mistake, but a very nice boat indeed!
Old 23-05-2011, 03:31   #5

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34

Some questions that might help you narrow down your list:

What are your goals and ambitions for this boat? How do you expect to be using it? Where will you be sailing it? Are conditions normally light air or heavy air? Is draft or bridge clearance a consideration?

Tall rig vs. standard rig?

Shoal draft vs. wing keel vs. standard keel?

if you're based in Maine(?) do you really want to travel to Florida to look at a relatively ubiquitous 30 foot boat? Consider the costs of travel to see the boat and of delivering the boat back home.

How handy are you? Do you want a project boat (because you like working on boats and it gives you an opportunity to set your boat up exactly the way you want it), or do you want a boat that is pristine in condition and is "turnkey" ready to cross the Atlantic (or whatever)? What is your budget?

Hope this helps,

Tim
Old 23-05-2011, 11:52   #6

Thanks Catamount,

I will just being coastal cruising and some island hoping down to the Bahamas when able. Nothing that goes against the capabilities of the boat or my future self.

I live in Maine, yes, but will be living on the boat so I will go anywhere to get it. My goal is to end up in Florida regardless of where I start.

I'm looking for a boat in fairly ready to go condition. Some internal work is fine or a warning that I need to replace X within 6 months is also acceptable. I do not want a project boat nor anything ready to cross the Atlantic. Just a good buy for a simple liveaboard/coastal pocket cruiser.