Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2010, 07:53   #1

Boat: Allied Princess 36' Ketch
Avon 8-Man Ocean Liferaft - 2007 Mfr. Date - Excellent Condition

I'm selling an Avon 8-person Ocean liferaft with a 2007 manufacture and purchase date, in excellent and unused condition. The raft is current through this year on the 3-year service periods recommended by the MFR. The raft is in a white fiberglass valise with rubber feet for deck mounting, but does not include any permanent deck mounting hardware. It has been kept below decks except for one short period since purchase by the P.O. of my boat, and was only purchased to satisfy offshore racing regulations for the Regatta De Amigos in 2007. The valise seems to be in good condition to my eyes and has never in my care or handling been dropped nor does it show signs of abusive handling. In fact I've hardly moved it from its position on the cabin sole except to briefly stow it in the v-berth for some maintenance work.

*** Includes the 24-hour personnel pack ***

New is ~$4k. Recertification is ~$1k.

Asking $2500 + shipping, or you pick it up in Houston, TX.

Photos upon request.
Old 30-06-2010, 07:38   #2

Boat: Allied Princess 36' Ketch
Price is negotiable, and I'm willing to discuss a trade for things such as a 4-man liferaft of similar quality.
Old 30-06-2010, 08:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I think your asking price is pretty high. I would not expect to get more than 50% to 60% of the street price new MINUS servicing cost, for a raft which is near to its servicing date.

I have two liferafts -- both four-man Avon Oceans. I would love to part-exchange one for a six-man or eight-man one. But mine are in England and you're in Texas so I doubt that shipping them back and forth across the ocean makes much sense.
Old 30-06-2010, 10:10   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I'd suggest:
If the new price is $4000 and the recert is $1000...consider that the rafts have a ten year service life before condemnation or major repairs are likely. Split four grand over ten years, and the raft devalues $400 per year, ignoring the certification costs. You're asking $2500 plus $1000 recert, a total of $3500, versus $4000 for a new one that's warranteed and hasn't devalued yet.
The ten year life expectancy and heavy recert costs are why used life rafts often sell cheaply compared to new ones, I'd also say $2500 is too steep.
Maybe a dealer or certification shop would take it in trade against a newer (or recertified) 4-man for you? (Which could also reduce any sales tax on the new purchase, that's often worth 6-8% on top.)
Old 07-07-2010, 04:44   #5

Hello Sailor,

Just interested in knowing how much time you have spent in a raft??

Cheers & Beers,

J

Tags
avon