Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2010, 04:42   #1

Barient 23 or Suitable Replacement

I had the unpleasant task of having to destructively remove a Barient 23 two speed self-tailing 40-to-1 power ratio wench.

Fortunately, I was able to grind the aluminum capstan from top to bottom and pry it open just enough to finally pull it off. most of the wench parts are in good condition (I did grind at the base of the winch at first out of complete ignorance)

My understanding is that replacement parts are pretty damned hard to come by for this +20 year old model of winch. If I were to seek parts to rebuild, I would need the capstan, bearings and possibly the retainer clip thingie.

My inclination is just to replace the winch entirely. I'm a big fan of keeping that which works (the Barient 23s have been on the boat since day one). So... I'd prefer to obtain another barient 23 and have some replacement parts.

That said, I realize that searching the world for a single Barient 23 is probably a fairly futile task (but if you have one in good condition you're willing to part with, by all means, speak up)

Accordingly, I am seeking a winch with the following characteristics (listed top to bottom in order of importance):

- self-tailing

- two speed (low speed can be as low as 15 -to-1; I'll accept 30-to-1 for the higher speed... a little higher or lower on either ratio is fine)

- similar footprint and bolt pattern (no more than 140mm diameter base with 6 bolts)

I'd prefer aluminum to chrome or stainless (install will be on a galvonicly challenged metal boat; I suspect that the aluminum against stainless bearings against brass spindle had something to do with the rapid rate of decay, but I should probably stop blaming chemistry for a lack of a proper maintenance regime.. still, I've never thought of a winch as a big, low capacity battery before...).

Let me know what you have... I'm going to buy in the next week or two.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Hutton-Arco has Barient Parts (they bought the tooling)

Go ➥
HUTTON-ARCO Yacht Winches
.arco-winches.com/products/spares

Tags
barient