Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:24   #1

Bluewater Circumnavigation Capable Sailboat 50K

I'm looking for an equipped, bluewater capable sailboat somewhere in the 35-42' range. Either side of $50K.

Focused on center-cockpit and/or aft cabin for those long days and weeks at anchor. Prefer something that has 'done it' and is near turn key. I'm located on the east coast of the US and would anticipate a November 1 departure for this part of the world but may consider boats lying elsewhere.

Likes- monohulls, solar, wind, generator, watermaker, two cabin, fiberglass, steel, dinghy, dinghy davits, 10-15hp outboard for dinghy, full keel, autohelm, cruising sails, safety gear.

Not really interested in - catamarans, trimarans, over 42', wood, lake or bay boats, expensive boats, price undisclosed, scammers, boat shares, project boats.

Let me know what you might have or might know of. I try to scan eBay and Yachtworld weekly but sometimes don't always see everything.

I'm located in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Thanks! Mike
Old 12-06-2012, 14:37   #2

Boat: Jack Kelley Peterson 46
Re: Bluewater Circumnavigation Capable Sailboat 50K

Good Luck with that Mike.
Old 13-06-2012, 04:44   #3

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Mike,

I think that what DrDog was trying to say is that you will probably have to double your budget for the boat you are looking for.

I have a 39 ft Camper Nicholson center cockpit ketch with everything that you list except for the generator/solar/wind and it would cost you 100K to get something like her.
Old 13-06-2012, 05:58   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah31

Mike,

Contact this other Mike at k9mlw at yah** dot com. His boat "Shakabrah" is turnkey and on the east coast.

He has a VERY well taken care of Pacific Searcraft Mariah31 (Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31 Review : Bluewaterboats.org) that he just put up for sale. He is in the army and they are moving him inland. He is truly a great craftsman and I've seen many pictures of work he has done to upgrade this boat. It is only 31', but I own one myself and it is VERY spacious.
Old 13-06-2012, 06:14   #5

The Pacific Seacraft looks nice but is not a center cockpit and therefore lacks the aft stateroom.

Additionally, "Under sail she’s generally considered a slow boat, expect to clock regular 100 mile days in the trades with well set up canvas. She’s at her best on a reach, with 14-18 knots on the beam, expect a solid 6 knots. However with the wind from behind, her tub-like underbody and shoal keel doesn’t do much to reduce rolling motion which can get uncomfortably large." I can somewhat live with a little slower but was looking in that 35'-42' range to get away from that 'uncomfortably large rolling motion'.

As for the budget response, I know there's a boat out there that can be found for around $50K more or less. If I double the budget it may mean I can't leave until 2016 or later and I want to leave this Fall!

Thanks for the input all!
Mike
Old 13-06-2012, 06:46   #6

Boat: Catalina 34

How about this Brewer Pacific 43? She's a bit over your budget, but it's a buyer's market so who knows?

Or maybe a Whitby 42?
Old 13-06-2012, 06:53   #7

An aft cockpit boat can have a decent aft cabin. And in your preferred under 42' size range, center cockpit boats tend to have issues with interior space, IMO. I am very familiar with the KP44, center cockpit. It has a large engine room, under the cockpit. Large engine room on a blue water cruiser is good, because you can add a generator, and have plenty of working room for maintenance, etc. But that large engine room detracts from other space. I own a 38' Beneteau, aft cockpit, and it has at least 85% of the interior space that the KP44 has, including a very usable aft cabin, for one sleeping, a little tight for two.

The Beneteau will be for sale soon and might meet your needs. It is a Beneteau Idylle 11.5, 1984, currently on the hard in Connecticut. I don't have an asking price yet, but it will not exceed $50k.
Old 13-06-2012, 07:03   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Let's see....Not in your neck of the woods and not an aft cabin.
Anyway, I have my Allied 39 Ketch for sale. Asking $46,900.
Allieds are proven circumnavigators and are not slugs in lighter winds.
The Allied 39 is pretty much a 2 person boat in that there is no quarter berths. There is the V-berth for calm weather sleeping and the drop down table into a double berth in the main salon and a single settee for sleeping.
All of the spare space is dedicated to storage. Lot's of storage for long passages.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...pit-83227.html
Old 13-06-2012, 08:01   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I think a problem will be finding a boat at that price that is 100% ready to go. In my opinion I've never seen a boat for sale that is ready to sail away as is, especially on a serious offshore passage.
Old 13-06-2012, 09:14   #10

Boat: Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I think a problem will be finding a boat at that price that is 100% ready to go. In my opinion I've never seen a boat for sale that is ready to sail away as is, especially on a serious offshore passage.
I agree. We all define "ready to go" differently. Even if a particular boat is safe, we all have our preferences for how we want it outfitted (solar, versus generator, versus wind, etc.).
Old 13-06-2012, 10:32   #11

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Hello Mike,
Not quite sure what "lake" or "bay" boat means but these 2 are on a lake and you'll keep some money in your pocket to upgrade them;
FOR SALE: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus - 35

or

1972 Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -

Rassy's are ..well Rassy.

Cheers,
JJ
Old 13-06-2012, 18:28   #12

Boat: Catalina 350

It's near impossible to post a link from An iPad, but in marina del Rey ca, there is an islander 36 for sale that has been round once. "intrepid" last time I saw it listed earlier this year it was59k and it has all the bells and whistles for that price.
Old 13-06-2012, 18:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert
It's near impossible to post a link from An iPad, but in marina del Rey ca, there is an islander 36 for sale that has been round once. "intrepid" last time I saw it listed earlier this year it was59k and it has all the bells and whistles for that price.
It's quite easy to post a link from an iPhone--must be easier on an iPad.

In any event, I'm skeptical an Islander 36 is ready to go 'round again without a pile of restoration and upgrade $$$. I can't imagine anybody finding something they consider turnkey at any price, let alone for $50k.

The OP clearly hasn't thought out what he wants or needs before slipping away.
Old 14-06-2012, 06:52   #14

I've given plenty of thought and time to what I want and I fully realize that finding true turn-key may not be possible. However, near turn-key is possible and near $50K is possible as some of these suggestions demonstrate.

Probably not interested in a Beneteau as I don't believe they are proven enough for bluewater passage making. The HR35's are a decent boat - both would take some work to outfit them properly but in the offering price perhaps there is room to make it all work. The 43' in the BVI's I may have seen from afar but didn't investigate. Definitely might work. Someone mentioned the KP44 and I looked at one in Annapolis and deemed it too big for what I need/want.

Posting on this forum allows me to get input from others as well as possibly consider boats I might not otherwise consider. I can hire a broker and they may focus only on Valiants or Tayanas because that is a favorite of theirs or they are reps for the company. On CF I can get a feel for what others like/dislike about various vessels.

Keep the ideas, thoughts and suggestions coming!
Mike
Old 14-06-2012, 07:53   #15

By the way, the Islander 36 is almost what I am looking for less the aft stateroom. An older boat but one that was refitted extensively in 2008 for Zac Suderland to go around. Now that Zac is back the boat is for sale but the solar and the liferaft and the motor and the lifelines and the rigging and on and on were all replaced more or less in 2008 before he left. Essentially a nicely overhauled boat that would need some additional upgrading for my needs and wants but not so much that I couldn't sail away in a few months happy with what I have and making other improvements and doing other maintenance, repairs and replacements while anchored in some buggy, mosquito infested lagoon while my friends think that all I am doing is lounging on a white sandy beach with a sun-downer in my hand.

Tags
circumnavigation, sailboat