Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 03:47   #1

Bottom End Perkins 4107 Engine

I am looking to buy components to the Perkins 4107 engine, chiefly the lower end. Coincidentally, I tinker with old tractors and one I have is spewing heavy smoke for 3-4 minutes before calming down. Not sure, offhand, if this is sleeve wear or some other leaking component like valve seals or sleeve O-rings.

Would appreciate any and all communications directed toward solving my need, thank you all.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:03   #2

Boat: Custom, Ketch, 50 - N'Ice
Re: bottom end Perkins 4107 engine

Howdy,

Try these folks (in England). They sell parts for the Perkins diesel (4-107) such as filters and the like. Have not tried them for mechanical but I would think they do since the tractors had the same Perkins engine (just not marine ver) in them...
Offers@farmingparts.com
also...
https://heavydutykits.com/Perkins/Re...linder-Engines
AND...
Perkins 4-107 rebuild kit?

and, WESTERBEKE ENGINES OF THAT ERA WERE PERKINS BLOCKS.

Ron
Old 11-09-2013, 05:26   #3

Boat: Cornado 25

Had 4-107 in my old boat, and swapped out to a 4-108 due to the fact 4-107 castings (cranks, rods, etc) are no longer manufactured. Trans Atlantic Diesel (TAD) bought up all the new-old-stock from most dealers, and now charges (in my opinion) unreasonable prices for them. This was all back around 2004 or so.

Rings, bearings, seals etc are still readily available. Most external parts (injector pumps, injectors, manifolds, etc) are interchangable between 4-108 and 4-107. Only real difference in the 2 is that the 107 is a wet sleeve motor, and the 108 is a dry sleeve. Some parts eg: 108 pistons can be used with some machining. All in all, if you can replace with a 108 you will be better off in the long run.

When my 107 crashed (rod through the crankcase web) Bryan Lowe at BritishMarine-USA located in Alameda Ca was a HUGE help. Sent a single used piston and rod after tearing down a used engine to pull it out. Also a wealth of info about cold patching a wet-sleeve engine casting, parts interchange etc. Great guy and really knows his stuff. I ended up getting my crank into a local machine shop where they built up the trashed journal with weldment then turned the crank to spec. Cheaper than a new (used) crank. Not the best fix, but got me 1200 miles to where I could replace the engine with a 108.

As to your tractor, sounds like time to rebuild the injectors. As they wear, you start getting drops of fuel instead of a fine mist, and the engine cannot burn them totally so you get smoke. When the engine reaches operating temperature the problem is no longer visible, but is still there. Pull the injectors and take them into the local diesel shop to get them "pop-tested" they will put them on a machine which shows the pattern under operating conditions. If it is a common diesel, injector rebuilds are not expensive and will eliminate the smoke and the engine will start easier under cold conditions.

Hope this helps.
Cap' Couillon
Old 11-09-2013, 11:34   #4

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

You did not state your location. If in Florida I can recommend RPM Diesel Service in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. Excellent work and prices also. The front service counter personnel were great to work with.
Old 11-09-2013, 15:32   #5

Boat: Custom, Ketch, 50 - N'Ice
Re: Bottom End Perkins 4107 Engine

Where in Ft Lauderdale? Are they near the waterfront ?
Old 11-09-2013, 16:15   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Not knowing where yall are at, let me suggest Motor Wearhouse in Sacromento Cali. They have stuff you would not believe, when I did bizz with them I had a shop with proper tax stuff, but Im sure you can get someone to help ya out with them ! I got eveything from rods to gasket sets for perkins from them !They also carry rings in small oversizes, to save slightly worn cylinders! supriseing what ya can do to fix these old girls if ya don't mind a little work!!
Old 06-11-2013, 18:48   #7

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer

Did you ever find the parts you're looking for? I have an entire 4-107 short block. The head was cracked. I used the starter and alternator on my engine.
Old 07-11-2013, 14:56   #8

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by northiceman View Post
Where in Ft Lauderdale? Are they near the waterfront ?
They are located off the New River on the west side of I-95 on Million Dollar Mile Row. They are about 2 or 3 blocks west on the north side of the road.
Old 07-11-2013, 15:12   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Just maybe if you only get oil smoke (blue) and not unburnt fuel(whitish) smoke, it may be as simple as valve seals, usually dirty injectors will cause an engine to knock excessively especially when cold, I've cleaned injectors with both Techron and automatic transmission fluid. Since your a tractor guy you'll understand, I had an old JD310 Backhoe that was so bad that at idle it only ran on two cylinders, I was going to pull the injectors and have them rebuilt but was talked into trying a couple of bottles of techron in a tank of fuel. It worked. Took a few hours but she cleaned right up and ran fine from then on.
Tranny fluid works because it apparently has a lot of detergent in it
Old 07-11-2013, 15:40   #10

Try Foley Diesel, they have rebuid kits for 107 and 108's with pistons and sleeves etc. Not sure if they have cranks etc though.

Tags
engine, perkins