Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 12:12   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO
Buying first sailboat

I have been looking to buy my first sailboat and have even made an offer on one. My criteria has morphed a little since my search started and my price for the boat has dropped as I realize after looking at many that any boat I buy, even new, I will have to add things to make it what I want.

My basic requirements are a minimum of 2 cabins and 2 heads, able to sleep 6 in a pinch. That kind of puts the boat in the 38 to 45 foot range. I want a diesel engine with at least as many hp as feet and prefer 1.5 to feet. I want a sturdy boat. Preference is somewhere along the East Coast and Virginia to Florida is even better. I will go further or even to the Islands for a good value purchase.

Some would like to haves: As close as possible to single handed sailing. So in mast furling would be nice, but all lines to cockpit would work. Things that add value to me would be Solar panels and wind generator. Nice dinghy and outboard. Newer standing and running rigging, newer sails, multiple sails, low hours on engine, generator, nice electronics, arch for davits and panel mounts, Bimini and dodger, and the more inventory of must have items like fenders and lines and cutlery and spare parts and sailing stuff the better.

I will consider a newer production boat, 2000 and up, Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Hunter, and others. But first choice would be a solid full keel boat 1990 and up, Island Packet, Gozzard, Hallberg Rassy, Sabre, and many others. Every ad I read calls their boat a blue water cruiser, but most are not.

My budget for the boat is 50K for a production boat and 60K for full keel boat if it has at least several of the things that add value for me. I could go a bit higher if it had them all. I am a cash buyer and am able to buy now. I will do a survey of any boat I purchase.

Does any one have a boat for sale that meets this criteria? Know of a boat for sale that does?
Old 02-09-2015, 10:53   #2

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: Buying first sailboat

You seem to know what you want, all of which is pretty standard for a proper blue water cruiser, and it certainly reduces the screening. But you don’t say much about the condition you expect it to be in, and just because it may be post 2000 does not mean it will be in good condition in your price range.
I’m also doubtful if your budget will be enough to pick up a forty or so footer of that age, with new sails, etc., etc., unless it needs work to bring it up to scratch.
As it’s your first sailboat, are you ready and able to do this work?
You should certainly have a survey, but be aware it is not guaranteed to discover all faults. Surveyors will rarely go up the mast(s), and in the case of the boat I bought five years ago I found I needed a new mast head on one mast.
My boat meets all your criteria and more, but if it was for sale it would be twice your budget.
Anyway, the very best of luck in your search, and welcome to the idealists club.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:07   #3

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

I know there are deals out there, but when I punch your footage and price into my calculator, I come up with a much older boat than you are considering. For example, 1990ish Island Packet 38s are currently listed around US$140,00 on Yachtworld.

And while the HP per foot doesn't sound too bad, at 1.5 HP per foot sounds more like you should be looking at motor sailors.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have learned to never say never but based on my experience, the odds would be about zero that you would find something like a 38-45' Island Packet, Halberg Rassy or similar quality boat in good condition, equipped as you want for $50-$60K. Even finding a production boat that fit the same criteria would be a very long shot.

You mention two cabins. Would a forepeak and main cabin qualify or are you looking for two cabins in addition to the main cabin? If so, that will limit the options quite a bit. In that size range the great majority of the boats with that option are center cockpit layouts, especially in the lower end of the range. Once you get over 40' there are a few boats with one or two cabins under the aft cockpit and one or two with aft cockpit, aft cabin layout like the Pearson 424.

Maybe look at a Morgan Outisland 36. Possibly the roomiest 36' boat every built. Has a large aft cabin and can easily sleep six (if four of the six can sleep double). Solid boats, shoal draft, decent performance except close to the wind and would fit your budget.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:50   #5

Thanks for the input. I have identified several Morgans in the 41 foot range that fit, but most are 80"s vintage. Doable but not best. I found one IP that would work, but missed it by a few days. And there are many production boats that meet the criteria. I am also looking at boats 40% above that price range planning to offer something less then asking price. And if it has most or all the items I want I will go up to 90K. 60K is my target as I know I will spend another 30K before I am done.

And I believe I can do a lot of the work myself. Probably not all, but most. I would not attempt to do new standing rigging, but I would not hesitate to rebuild the engine. I am comfortable I could do and and all electronics work and all electrical work. Any cleaning and painting, installing an arch, or new lines and chain. I probably wont do all that if I feel I can hire competent people for different pieces as I want to start sailing more as quickly as possible.
Old 02-09-2015, 13:52   #6

Yes, it definitely can be done, and if you keep looking you can find bargains, for one reason or another, but you have to remain open minded.
I traveled to Mexico, Seattle (twice), Nassau, and up and down the eastern seaboard before I found my boat only 200 miles away in Fort Lauderdale. Which, after a serious haggle, I bought at well below market price per foot.
Just don’t let it burn a hole in your pocket.
Old 02-09-2015, 15:35   #7

Jolly Roger. I see you in Titusville. Once I get a boat I will be keeping it someplace between there and Ponce Inlet. Looking for a Marina that has a short distance to the ocean, minimum or no bridges and reasonable rates. If you have found any, let me know. One I called had a year and a half (their optimistic view) waiting list.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:51   #8

I’m only in Titusville because it’s the quickest to my house in Orlando. There are three marinas in Titusville, and about another six between here and Cape Canaveral outlet. Don't know anything about the marinas north of here.

Tags
buying, sail, sailboat