Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 18:42   #1

Buying off hardstand

I'm travelling tomorrow to look at a couple of yachts. One is well maintained/ frequently sailed and floating in a marina. The second has been on the hardstand for 2 yrs (but is higher spec on paper and significantly cheaper...owner has alzheimers and family are selling his yacht)
What hidden issues may I need to pay attention to that impact on 2yrs standing in the yard?.. obviously a survey will be done once an initial decision is made..

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-05-2016, 09:25   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Buying off hardstand

Two years on the hard may have been tough on the impellers. They may be dried out and brittle. Hopefully, the engine oil and oil and fuel filters were changed when it went on the hard. They really should be anyway before the engine is run after two years.

The boat may or may not have been well-maintained even before it went on the hard. You will certainly want to run the motor. The engines will have to be run as part of any good survey and the boat should be run on the water at least. They can be run on the hard but that takes more prep than a surveyor will do. And the owner would have to authorize and pay for this prep.

Batteries may be toast - house and starter.

Water in tanks may be bad.

Holding tank pumped out?

Be sure and run all water pumps - fresh and raw water.

Check zincs in engine heat exchangers and elsewhere.

I would get a separate engine mechanical survey. Not a part of most surveys unless specified. Often done by a mechanic. Some surveyors will do if qualified and experienced. Good to get an oil sample sent off for testing.

Look in the bilges carefully to see what has been left in there.

Look for mold everywhere. If the boat was not vented correctly and dehumidified for the local climate it may be a big problem. Smell will tell ou a lot when first going on board, especially if not opened prior to you getting aboard.

Good luck. You may have a good find, or not, and may get an excellent deal.

Probably other things to check I haven't thought of. Of course you will check sails and rigging conditions. And look at hoses and hose clamps. And open and close all thru-hulls to make sure they are operational - before sea trial. And keep open the ones needed for the sea trial.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:30   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've seen boats on the hard stored well and remaining in excellent condition. The cautions cited above are well stated, but there's just no telling without the inspection.
Old 09-05-2016, 17:54   #4

Boat: Sabre 38

Checking the engine is the big thing that is the difficult thing to do with the boat out of the water.

I purchased my boat on the hard without having run the engine. My offer reflected that I didn't know what I was getting.The boatyard owner had her purring when I came to move to the new marina. Turned out well for me but it could have gone poorly.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro

Tags
buying, hardstand