Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 21:29   #1

C. Plath Sextant $799

Sextant-Brass micrometer sextant manufactured by C. Plath, Hamburg, Germany, October 31, 1972. No. 57162 Book 37485 Serial No. 13. Original Attest Certificate (included) shows it to be “free of errors for practical use”

This instrument is considered to be the finest sextant made. All of its sea time was in an airtight, waterproof plastic case (included) and it is in PRISTINE “as new” condition without any corrosion.

The instrument has 7 flip down/up sun filters (to keep you from wearing a pirates patch from a burned out eye) and a night-light. The battery (not included) is placed in the handle.

It comes with two cases. The yellow, hard plastic, waterproof one for taking it to sea and the original locking wooden box with securing clasp. It includes a small solar battery calculator (no guarantees made for this) and the original cleaning brush as well as a metal container of desiccant.

In all my sailing life I have used “dead reckoning” and chart plotting because I often found that in time of trouble when the electronic navigational instruments were out of battery or had a corroded wire or scrambled software, etc.

With this sextant the only thing between you and knowing where you are is your ability to take an accurate sight and reduce it properly. There is nothing to wear out or run down. If you take a twilight or night sight you don’t even really need the light on the sextant, it is just a convenience to read your mark, you can also read it with the red light at your nav. station or use a flashlight or candle.

The cases have my names written on them in magic marker ink. This is also a "collectors item" since they are no longer manufactured and unfortunately fewer and fewer people know how to use them as they place their life in the hands of an electronic instrument, probably made in China.

I strongly suggest that the buyer buys insurance on this item.

Capt. (civilian off shore Master’s License-retired) Thomas Ewing
Asking $799.00 obo+Shipping. (Don't know how much shipping cost, we'll contact P.O when someone is interested. Please PM me for any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sax.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	16899   Click image for larger version

Name:	cp3.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	16900  

Name:	tcp.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	16901   Click image for larger version

Name:	cert.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	16902  

Name:	cp4.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	16903   Click image for larger version

Name:	cp5.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	16904  

Old 18-08-2010, 15:57   #2

Hello, is the sextant still for sale, and if so, would you be prepared to sell (and post) to Australia?

Cheers, Peter