Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2013, 15:20   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 47.7
Calling Cat Owners! Sonic Sillette Cat Drive 2 Lower Leg / Props

I recently replaced the lower leg on a Prout cat I purchased.

The old Sonic / Sillette Cat Drive 2 Lower Leg assembly has been neglected quite a bit and shows some corrosion. However, it had no problems making the 100NM trip home and I saw little emulsification in the lube oil when I drained it. The cavitation plate was broken at some point and a replacement bolted on the top. Unit is still sealed, just the back part of the plate was broken (see pics).

Props show corrosion as well and should probably be re-worked if used as a primary. They're 12 spline and about 14" I think...I can look for numbers on them if required.

$500 for everything pictured. At $2500 per lower leg assembly and $300-$500 per prop I think this is a decent deal for someone with the time to refurb or use as a spare set. Anyway, let me know if I can take any additional pics or answer any questions.

Thanks!
-Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1297944640.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	58305   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2007092592.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	58306  

Name:	image-2472781440.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	58307   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1310287667.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	58308  

Name:	image-1967761675.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	58309   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2137556808.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	58310  

Old 01-04-2013, 12:47   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Calling Cat Owners! Sonic Sillette Cat Drive 2 Lower Leg / Props

wow, if that is $3000 new to replace; I can see why no one uses them anymore!
Old 01-04-2013, 13:04   #3

Still standard gear on the Gemini and PDQ Cats. Design hasn't changed with the exception of a switch to a 17 spline shaft...which is why these props aren't useful to me as spares. Guess I could use the leg as a spare if I was motivated enough to tear it apart and swap in a 17 spline shaft from Sillette.

Which reminds me, I'll sell the props seperate for $200 if needed.
Old 01-04-2013, 17:23   #4
Marine Service Provider

Never seen a pdq with them and Gemini has ditched them as well. Certainly a good idea back in the day, but now? a new Yamaha 9.9 high thrust $2800
Old 01-04-2013, 17:50   #5

Gemini 105Mc cats are still produced with the Sonic Sillette Cat Drive 2, just talked to them a couple months ago (Gemini Legacy has gone the dual engine route). All the Prouts other than the dual engines got them, and I've seen PDQs with multiple outdrive legs (if not Sonic, maybe Yanmar legs, but same concept).

Agree outboards are great for cost and simplicity, I carry one for backup propulsion. But I wouldn't blue water cruise with one, hard to avoid the cavitation in a large following sea, i.e. crossing bars. Rather operate on diesel than flammable gas. Also, hard to beat the reliability, charge capacity, and torque of a fresh water cooled, 8000+ ophour diesel.
Old 01-04-2013, 17:55   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BareProductions View Post
Gemini 105Mc cats are still produced with the Sonic Sillette Cat Drive 2, just talked to them a couple months ago (Gemini Legacy has gone the dual engine route). All the Prouts other than the dual engines got them, and I've seen PDQs with multiple Sonic outdrive legs.

Agree outboards are great for cost and simplicity, I carry one for backup propulsion. But I wouldn't blue water cruise with one, hard to avoid the cavitation in a large following sea, i.e. crossing bars. Rather operate on diesel than flammable gas. Also, hard to beat the reliability, charge capacity, and torque of a fresh water cooled, 8000+ ophour diesel.
Never ever ever seen a PDQ with a sonic drive leg. Either outboard or saildrive, never sonic drive. Guess I could be wrong..... Please prove it.
Outboards are great for bluewater if they're positioned correctly and also a great advantage if the boat sails well.
Old 01-04-2013, 18:03   #7

There was a cat next to the Prout I bought with two outdrive legs under it. Maybe it was something other than a PDQ, or some kind of strange refit...
Old 01-04-2013, 19:08   #8
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BareProductions View Post
There was a cat next to the Prout I bought with two outdrive legs under it. Maybe it was something other than a PDQ, or some kind of strange refit...
Don't get me wrong. I'd rather have a Sillette drive than a saildrive. Better to be able to pull it out of the water while sailing.
Old 07-04-2013, 18:47   #9

Boat: Prout, Snowgoose, 37

Do you have the tiller for this unit? If so, I'd be interested. Jim
Old 07-04-2013, 19:05   #10

Jim,

Sorry, just the lower leg assembly, not the upper assembly or tiller.

-Chuck
Old 07-04-2013, 19:11   #11

Boat: Prout, Snowgoose, 37

Thanks for the quick reply, I need to find one. Hope you like your Prout, I love mine. Jim
Old 09-10-2013, 07:40   #12

Could use the advise of the group. I have a 35 Snowgoose. Someone did a fairly well handled addition for mounting twin 25 HP 4 stroke Yamahas. Diesel is gone and the fuel tank resides there as the built in tank needs resurfacing.

The boat also has 500 lbs of battery bank mounted in the rear cockpit storage bins. I can move the batteries forward to help the balance. I do have significant cavitation issues that require hand on throttles and getting the nose back down will make it worse. The twin Yams weight about the same as a 30hpdiesel and leg but are set 2-3 feet farther back messing up CG again.

Options:
1. go back to diesel and a leg that tilts up out of the water.
2. Go to smaller lighter outboards. The Yam 15 that come in xtra long come to mind addressing some cavitation and weight.
3. Figure out how to resurface the inside of the original fuel tank and remove the auxiliary 28 gal tank that sits in the engine compartment. Helping with weight redistribution.

SO, in a pinch would 15hp push? Assumes one won't start.
Any issues with moving the bateries forward other than long cable runs?

one other issue. the nacelle tends to get water in it under way. the boats is lower in the stern than it should be and we get plumes up through the floor drains...sounds like a whale breach. Pretty sure the nacelle is getting the water through the cockpit. any ideas on source or fixes.

Thanks,
Brent
Old 09-10-2013, 08:02   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

you might try different pitch propellors before changing the whole setup,ie reducing the pitch will reduce cavitation,and give more torque,and should allow you to run on one engine when motoring longer distances.

the drain in the nacelle,aft of the fuel tank i just threw a small hand towel down there,which stops the water spurting up,but would remove in conditions where liable to get swamped
Old 10-10-2013, 12:07   #14

Converting back to diesel and outdrive leg sounds pricey!

I would think 2x 15HP would push it fine, esp with high thrust props. I broke down bringing my Snowgoose back from the purchase location and did an alongside tow with a 15HP inflatable. Still made 3-4kts after I got it moving (calm water).

I'd be interested in seeing pics of your outboard setup if you have any you can post or PM me! Are they both mouned to the back of the necelle?

Have you already de-weighted your bows? I read somewhere Prout put a couple hundered pounds of ballast up there to compensate when they started installing a lighter diesel.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:30   #15
Marine Service Provider

Twin 9.9 high thrusts with 25" shafts are the standard power on many 32-36' cats. M