Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2014, 19:32   #1

Send a message via AIM to russeasby Send a message via Yahoo to russeasby
Cape Dory 36 in Panama

Cape Dory 36 Lady Pauline
1984, hull #117

Asking price $55,000.

I can be contacted either via "Private Message" on this message board, or by emailing me directly at russell@ladypauline.com

I have been living aboard and sailing Lady Pauline full time for 10 years. I have recently purchased a larger boat to continue my adventures on and Lady Pauline is now for sale. I have spared no expense in upgrading and maintaining her as a serious oceangoing passage maker, you will find many things you will not find on any other CD36.

The boat is currently located in Bocas del Toro, Panama. A great starting point for your own cruising adventure either in the Caribbean or Pacific, or a fun delivery back to the US.

Details:

Cockpit:

Custom made radar arch with bimini top, 316 stainless, integrated into pushpit. About 500w of solar panels with a BlueSky MMPT controller, this is enough to keep the batteries fully charged in the tropics with the fridge running and several hours of computer use per day (today for instance was entirely overcast all day and I am posting with the batteries at 12.6 at midnight). Pole for a wind generator is also integrated, no wind generator is included as I removed the noise machine a few years ago.

Custom hard top dodger, had laid fiberglass top on 1.25” stainless supports, you can stand on it. Space for more solar if desired. Canvas side windows have makrolon AR2 windows (rigid polycarbonate). LED white and red lighting that is switched on inside the companionway.

Very nice teak destroyer wheel, came with the boat when I bought it but have not seen another CD with this kind of wheel so I assume a previous owner added it, much nicer hand feel and less fatiguing then the standard destroyer wheels.

Richie compass on pedestal is new in 2013! Was going to have the old one rebuilt and stumbled on the exact same compass brand new on a west marine clearance table for less then a professional rebuild cost.

All canvas is Sunbrella "Linen" color. There is a 2 piece sunbrella awning, mast aft and mast forward.

Rigging:

Standing rigging replaced in 2005 by Chesapeake Spars in Annapolis. New Schafer jib furler 2005, New pro furl staysail furler 2008. Staysail boom is removed and tracks for traditional sheeting on cabin top. Main boom upgraded to a Selden boom with far superior reefing system and rigid boom vang, works very well with the NorthSails stack pack. All running rigging is setup to be usable from the cockpit, but mast operation is still possible as well. Main halyard mast winch upgraded to a Lewmar self tailer, main sheet winch in cockpit upgraded to a custom ordered bronze lewmar self tailer. Rope clutches for all lines in the cockpit. There is also a Tides Marine StrongTrack installed on the main. All blocks have been upgraded to new Garhaurer blocks. New garhauer line control traveler.

Ground tackle:

Bow sprit and bow pulpit both new in about 2010. New bowsprit is solid burmese teak, and considerably thicker then the CD original. Two bronze Spartan bow rollers. Lofrans Project 1000 windlass. Primary anchor is a 45lb Rocna (made in Canada, not one of the problem China made ones), with about 200’ of 5/16 G4 chain and 100’ of line. Secondary anchor is a 33lb Bruce with 75’ of 5/16 chain and 150’ of line. Fortress stern anchor on pushpit.

Electronics:
Raymarine ST60 Wind, Speed (2005) and ST60+ Depth (2012)
Raymarine E80 Chartplotter (2005) with mast mounted radar.
Raymarine X10 Autopilot with ST70 control head and Type 1 linear drive (2010).
ACR Nauticast Class B AIS transponder with dedicated antenna on radar arch.
ICOM M710 SSB
Uniden VHF

Electrical:
Recent major rewiring.
New Bluesea DC panel.
New Bluesea AC ELCI panel.
4 New Trojan T145 batteries with a trojan battery watering system (very nice!).
Xantrex 40amp Battery charger.
Xantrex 1800 Inverter, hardwired with automatic switching (plugged into shore power, all 4 110 outlets run off shore power, away from the dock all outlets run off of the inverter automaticly).
Lifeline AGM starting battery.
Lifeline AGM windlass battery in v berth.
Xantrex LinkLite battery monitor.

Lighting:
Bow nav lights are new (2012) LED, stern light and steaming light are incandescent.
Combo LED tricolor/anchor at masthead, not currently functioning (short tripping the breaker, suspect chafed wires at mast exit up top).

Interior:
Solid teak (not veneer!) cabin sole, 3/8” thick teak and maple over top a subfloor of coosa composite and marine plywood. Currently no finish on it, but will be putting a finish on it after moving onto the new boat. Sole completely opens on hinges with locking latches, for complete access to the bilge, also new access hatches by mast and in v berth, these are all very nice to have and not on factory CDs.
Custom cabinetry in the v berth above the beds, greatly increasing storage for cruising.
Custom cabinetry in galley above sink.
Quarterberth is converted to storage with a removable seat back for a proper nav station seat. Can quickly be converted back to a quarter berth.
New upholstery in saloon and nav station in 2014. v berth currently has no foam or upholstery, but instead lee clothes for storage of sails and other bulky items.
Headliner in need of painting, I intend to paint it before sale though.
All interior dome light fixtures are LED, not just replacement bulbs but top of the line Sensibulb new fixtures. Dimmers on all lights, and nav station, galley and head are both red and white.
Frigoboat 12v refrigerator with keel cooler AND air cool (so it can run when hauled out or switch on the air cool fan when in really warm shallow water for better efficiency). Variable speed controller to maximize efficiency. Entire fridge has been insulated with 2" of polystyrene board in addition to foam added to the "air" insulation of CDs original design.

Engine:
Volvo D2-40 new 2009. 2500 hours.
110 amp alternator.
PSS dripless shaft seal.
Hurth transmission in need of rebuild, I have the rebuild parts and will be pulling the transmission and rebuilding it prior to sale of the boat.

Sails:
Mainsail new 2005, but pretty worn out.
Yankee jib in good condition, needs new UV cover (sunbrella to do this is on board and I plan to replace the UV cover before sale of the boat).
Staysail excellent condition, also needs new UV cover (same deal as above).
Asymetrical spinnaker in sock, lightly used.
Drifter, very good condition.

Windvane:
There is currently a monitor wind vane installed on the boat, but that will be coming with me to the new boat. However the new boat has an wind vane">Aries wind vane in working condition that I will be including with Lady Pauline, uninstalled (will gladly help install it).

Air conditioner:
Cruisair 12000 BTU air conditioner, new 2012, then replaced under warranty entirely new in 2013. Has reverse cycle heat. Spare circulating pump and spare control box (from warranty replacement, they sent me everything new and let me keep spares off the old and a spare pump is a very nice and expensive part to have).

Cosmetics:
Exterior is painted with 1 part polyurethane, Interlux bright side. Its not a fancy awl grip job, typical Cape Dory gel coat crazing is visible through the paint. Teak is in “transition”, some of is it redone with recent Cetol natural, some is old peeling varnish that I was slowly transitioning to cetol as the sun did the stripping for me.

Boat had a full bottom barrier coat done with West System before I bought it, over 10 years of owning it I have found about 4 blisters which I ground out and filled. Rudder typically has a couple blisters each haul out which I grind out and fill(haul outs every 3 years). Overall I would consider this very good. Current bottom paint was put on 2 years ago and is still doing well.

Photos (more to come soon!):

Old 29-12-2014, 14:52   #2

Boat: Looking for the right boat
Re: Cape Dory 36 in Panama

Nice boat! what are you replacing it with?
Old 29-12-2014, 18:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trautfel View Post
Nice boat! what are you replacing it with?
Thanks! I bought a Tayana 42.
Old 29-12-2014, 19:28   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Cape Dory is a beautiful boat. But I understand the move up to the Tayana 42. We love ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30-12-2014, 11:57   #5

Boat: Ericson 34

Hi ! I've done Panama-Marquesas islands** in my C&N 31 & I think your Cape Dory is perfect for sailing the Pacific Good luck !

** I then sailed French Polynesia, Hawaii & Vancouver
Old 18-01-2015, 20:13   #6

Price reduced to $50K (I do not see where to edit the original post).
Old 24-02-2015, 21:31   #7

Boat: Seafarer 34 CB

I have personally been aboard this boat and it is truly stunning. Photos do not do it justice. Rigged to circumnavigate should you so choose. And I'll gladly skipper or help crew her up to the states.

Tags
cape dory, Panama