Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2013, 16:15   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Catamaran: Cautionary Tale for Wannabe Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Those would certainly be optimistic prices for a 20 y/o charter cat. Have not really been following the market since I made other plans, but one sold here 18 months ago for 100K and I was close to a deal on one (FP 42 only now) for 75K that needed one engine replaced 20 months ago.
I would think those unusually low prices and not representative of the boat in the market in general.

You REALLY need to change that font color on your signature line.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 14-06-2013, 16:48   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

This looks like a good price to me Boatguy, show me another 42 ft production cruising cat, fully equipped for world cruising with a new dinghy, fresh bottom new 15 hp yamaha, new batteries, full solar, watermaker, all electronics, even a washing machine for even close to this price. This cat sounds like it is ready to go. Sorry to give you a hard time BoatGuy but show us some deals or retract your statements. I'll bet they find a buyer within a month.
Old 14-06-2013, 17:01   #18

Jane:

As Jimmy Buffet sang "Down in the Tropics they come and they go". Good thing that you realized this boat ting is not for you. Best to move on but, you gave it a go and I'm sure had some good experiences to look back on. Living on a boat is not for everyone things tend to break a lot more and having not one but two engines to maintain to me is just plain nuts! But, I'm a monohull guy. Sounds like you will be so happy when you sell that boat. Just as happy as the person who buys it from you. Both of you will be able to move on with the next part of your life and the next dream.

Good luck
Old 14-06-2013, 17:11   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Price seems about double what these boats have been selling for. I guess maybe less is broken than one might expect?
I guess that would put the value of your homebuilt cat at the low to mid teens? Sure there are absolute dogs out there selling for low prices but are they all dogs?
Old 14-06-2013, 17:56   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

My apologies. It's clearly worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
Old 14-06-2013, 18:47   #21
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
My apologies as well. You are doing what most of us don't have the guts to do, building your own boat. I've got a lot of respect for that and hope it turns out to be your dream come true.
Old 14-06-2013, 19:19   #22

Quote:
Bwahahaha

Good luck Jane Joy! I have enjoyed your blog from time to time and appreciate your honesty and sense of humour. 2 years is a good long adventure, no shame in moving onto the next one!
Old 14-06-2013, 19:36   #23

As someone aspiring to the cruising lifestyle, it is interesting to hear the contrary point of view. As someone who has made a relatively successful career in sales I must agree with the rest that you're strategy here might not be the best.

To start things off, I'll give you $50k and 2 first class tickets to anywhere in the world. I'm in Virginia, but could meet you down there next week...
Old 14-06-2013, 21:35   #24
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

This boat is loaded! Get a life, DanDanDan, you cannot afford this boat! Be patient JaneJoy, you have a great sounding boat and are out of the hurricane zone. I'm sure there are some serious buyers on this forum who have done their homework. Just look at some of the features posted on their website:
2 38 hp Yanmar engines
1540 amp hour AGM house battery bank, new in 2012
654 w solar (2012)
6 kW Northern Lights generator in sound-proof cabinet
Magna 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/ charger
Balmar high-output Alternator (on starboard engine) with ARS-5 regulator
Raymarine E-120W multifunction display with charts for Caribbean, S. America, S. Pacific, and Indian Ocean (2011)
Raymarine autopilot with new P70 control head (2013)
AIS 250 receiver
Radar (Raymarine RD418D 4 kW digital Radome scanner) (2011)
Vitrofrigo 2 drawer DC refrigerator (2012)
Drop-in Engel 40L fridge or freezer (2012)
Engel MR040F-U1 portable fridge or freezer (2012)
Force 10 oven with broiler (2013)
Sunbrella bimini with dodger (2012)
Cruisair air conditioner in Salon with a Dometic Breathe Easy air purifier in-duct model (2012)
Sea Recovery Aqua Whisper mini 170 DC watermaker, 7 gph capacity (2012)
Carib dinghy and 15 hp Yamaha outboard (new in 2011)
50 lb CQR anchor with 285 ft of 10mm chain
beautiful custom arch for solar panels and dinghy - motorized dinghy lift
strong and solid anodized aluminum handrails instead of lifelines
bottom paint new in March 2013
Old 15-06-2013, 00:34   #25

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Found this quote on the blog:

"Sailing involves lots of water and nature, which don’t appeal to Ean. Beaches are full of sand, which Jane finds icky"

But what the heck did you guys expect? What do you see in every book about crusing by sailboat? I usually see: a boat sailing, people on the beach drinking beers and sun bathing or snorkeling amongst sea creatures.
Again not bashing but it is slightly humorous to me.
Hope you the best of luck selling your boat! We just sold our first boat, it was quite the experience, especially because we had already bought a new to us more expensive one!

Cheers,

Jon
Old 15-06-2013, 05:10   #26

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
This boat is loaded! Get a life, DanDanDan, you cannot afford this boat! Be patient JaneJoy, you have a great sounding boat and are out of the hurricane zone. I'm sure there are some serious buyers on this forum who have done their homework. Just look at some of the features posted on their website:
2 38 hp Yanmar engines
1540 amp hour AGM house battery bank, new in 2012
654 w solar (2012)
6 kW Northern Lights generator in sound-proof cabinet
Magna 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/ charger
Balmar high-output Alternator (on starboard engine) with ARS-5 regulator
Raymarine E-120W multifunction display with charts for Caribbean, S. America, S. Pacific, and Indian Ocean (2011)
Raymarine autopilot with new P70 control head (2013)
AIS 250 receiver
Radar (Raymarine RD418D 4 kW digital Radome scanner) (2011)
Vitrofrigo 2 drawer DC refrigerator (2012)
Drop-in Engel 40L fridge or freezer (2012)
Engel MR040F-U1 portable fridge or freezer (2012)
Force 10 oven with broiler (2013)
Sunbrella bimini with dodger (2012)
Cruisair air conditioner in Salon with a Dometic Breathe Easy air purifier in-duct model (2012)
Sea Recovery Aqua Whisper mini 170 DC watermaker, 7 gph capacity (2012)
Carib dinghy and 15 hp Yamaha outboard (new in 2011)
50 lb CQR anchor with 285 ft of 10mm chain
beautiful custom arch for solar panels and dinghy - motorized dinghy lift
strong and solid anodized aluminum handrails instead of lifelines
bottom paint new in March 2013
Browsing their blog you'd have to wonder if any of this gear works.
Old 15-06-2013, 05:14   #27

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Browsing their blog you'd have to wonder if any of this gear works.
It's a boat, everything breaks at some point..the trick is to make it all work for the survey!...
Old 15-06-2013, 06:27   #28

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

Hey! I truly am grateful for all the kind words and well wishing. Generous spirits, you have.

Regarding our "honesty" - only time will tell. It is indeed possible, as some of you have advised, that a bit of "spin" could help us sell the boat faster or for more money. It's not that the thought didn't occur.

But first of all, we value honesty and want to put more of it out there, into the universe. It's a small contribution, to be sure.

Secondly, as Shakespeare put it, "Truth will out." Moral implications aside, we could take the whole blog down and say we LOVE LOVE LOVE cruising, but the inescapable fact is, we are selling the boat 'cause we don't want the damn thing any more. Any serious buyer - and these are the only folks that matter, here - will see through any spin and understand that, really, we don't want the damn thing any more, based solely on the PRICE, which, in our best estimation, is truly a selling price. (Maybe even an eye-popping price, although reasonable people may disagree on this point.) Those boats on yachtworld - those are listing prices, and those owners may or may not be serious about wanting to "meet the market" and sell the boat.

On the other hand: Is it a "distress" sale? No. We are not in distress. Folks will always come with low-ball offers, even lacking evidence of said distress, because they think (hope?) there may be a little secret distress lurking behind the public facade. But we are neither annoyed nor swayed by the buy-if-it's-a-steal folks. We just need to find ONE buyer who not only agrees with us that this boat is worth $210K, but also has the means and the inclination to buy it at that price. Is that buyer out there in the market right now? Only time will tell.

Finally. Thirdly? A straight yachtworld listing, coming from Shiny Happy Cruisers, is NOT funny. And - honestly! - we value humor even more than we value honesty. And honest humor-- even more better! If we have the chance to put a little LOL out into the universe, we're there. A small contribution, to be sure. But still.

So STAY TUNED, Ever'body. Maybe a year from now, JOY will be on a dock at Pier 7 in Edgewater, MD, still waiting to be sold, listed with our favorite broker, Tommy from Sailaway Catamarans. He sold it before, he can sell it again - if it comes to that.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Old 15-06-2013, 06:37   #29

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Bummer. Sorry you don't like it. This is an inconvenient life at best but since my old life sucked pretty hard, I'm not yet dissuaded.
Old 15-06-2013, 06:52   #30

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy View Post
Hey! I truly am grateful for all the kind words and well wishing. Generous spirits, you have.

Regarding our "honesty" - only time will tell. It is indeed possible, as some of you have advised, that a bit of "spin" could help us sell the boat faster or for more money. It's not that the thought didn't occur.

But first of all, we value honesty and want to put more of it out there, into the universe. It's a small contribution, to be sure.

Secondly, as Shakespeare put it, "Truth will out." Moral implications aside, we could take the whole blog down and say we LOVE LOVE LOVE cruising, but the inescapable fact is, we are selling the boat 'cause we don't want the damn thing any more. Any serious buyer - and these are the only folks that matter, here - will see through any spin and understand that, really, we don't want the damn thing any more, based solely on the PRICE, which, in our best estimation, is truly a selling price. (Maybe even an eye-popping price, although reasonable people may disagree on this point.) Those boats on yachtworld - those are listing prices, and those owners may or may not be serious about wanting to "meet the market" and sell the boat.

On the other hand: Is it a "distress" sale? No. We are not in distress. Folks will always come with low-ball offers, even lacking evidence of said distress, because they think (hope?) there may be a little secret distress lurking behind the public facade. But we are neither annoyed nor swayed by the buy-if-it's-a-steal folks. We just need to find ONE buyer who not only agrees with us that this boat is worth $210K, but also has the means and the inclination to buy it at that price. Is that buyer out there in the market right now? Only time will tell.

Finally. Thirdly? A straight yachtworld listing, coming from Shiny Happy Cruisers, is NOT funny. And - honestly! - we value humor even more than we value honesty. And honest humor-- even more better! If we have the chance to put a little LOL out into the universe, we're there. A small contribution, to be sure. But still.

So STAY TUNED, Ever'body. Maybe a year from now, JOY will be on a dock at Pier 7 in Edgewater, MD, still waiting to be sold, listed with our favorite broker, Tommy from Sailaway Catamarans. He sold it before, he can sell it again - if it comes to that.
Yes Tommy is a great lad, he'll do his best.

Frank

Tags
catamaran