Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2015, 10:01   #1

Catamaran, prout Elite or similar advice needed

Hi, I'm looking/ researching prout catamarans in Cardiff. If anyone has a prout or a cat in my area, or within reasonable traveling distance and wouldn't mind giving advice, and maybe a sail...don't mind contributing to fuel etc.
There's not that many around and good advice and knowledge is hard to come by.
I've traveled down to Devon to look at some, but still looking.
Thanks.
Old 25-07-2015, 10:45   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Catamaran, prout Elite or similar advice needed

maybe have a chat to atoll
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...103739-28.html
Old 25-07-2015, 13:22   #3

Boat: Prout snowgoose

too bad you are so far away, our Prout is ready cruising and on sale at this site
for euro 90000 or US 99000
Any details please email me at Pjensen11@hotmail.ca
Old 26-07-2015, 06:18   #4

Your cat looks great...yeah it's to far away, I'm in the UK, Thanks for sharing and good luck with the sale
Old 26-07-2015, 09:05   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

HI there is a guy in cape town advertising a share on gumtree cape town in a Prout 38 perhaps you can make contact with him and find out a bit more about these boats.I know they are slammers .Like the earlier dean shape basically and they slam like Hell.
Good luck in finding the right boat.
Old 26-07-2015, 10:14   #6

Hi, thanks for the input, I learned if you overload a cat they can slam because of the shallow draft, also overloading decreases their performance.
thats why I'm trying to touch base with a current owner and continue the research, possibly in my area.
Thanks for your comments.
Old 26-07-2015, 11:15   #7

Catamarans slam not because of shallow draught but the ones that do not have enough clearance between the water and the underdeck.
Three feet is often quoted but more if very wide stance.
Old 26-07-2015, 13:51   #8

Boat: Prout

Hi. I bought a Prout 33 three years ago putting my toe into the catamaran scene for sailing single handed around the world. Not knowing whether to buy a larger cat in the future to stay with monohull I bought this as knew I would only get 3rd party insurance. However I have crossed the Atlantic 3 times with it, including a force 10 600 miles sw of Canaries. I changed the engine from 20 to 30hp, 20 is seriously under powered. Currently in Colombia waiting for the season to cross from Panama to Australia via south pacific islands. Still undecided re. the cat/monohull argument. Sitting in a Caribbean bay or sailing down wind......a cat anyday. When monohulls are swinging like inverted pendulums I`m sitting virtually horizontal. Merely sniffing a head wind she folds her arms and refuses to make progress but does sit nicely with drogues out the front in force 10.

The old prouts are not good looking but they are hardy and this has handled everything that been thrown at it......so far. The 38ft and larger are much more appealing to the eye but then which do you want to lose if not fully comp.......plus the views are the same from both of them. If I was tempted in the future to buy a larger cat when circumnavigation days are over it would either be a more modern Prout or Leopard. But for now quite happy to continue circumnavigation in a Prout 33
Old 27-07-2015, 11:41   #9

Yep, looks like a load of pros and cons, I'm looking for a cat in my area that perhaps I can touch base with and get a feel for
Old 02-08-2015, 13:47   #10

Prout Snowgoose Elite's will slam in to wind no matter what you do - they are too low even if empty - I'm not saying they are bad but just avoid going to windward in one. I've spend every day of the last 2 1/2 years in a Snowgoose and sailed it for many many thousands of miles and totally rebuilt it when I bought it. I'm now in the Med so can't help with a boat to look at but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Tags
catamaran