Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2008, 08:57   #1

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
Charleston, SC Parking

Hi folks,

Haven't been on here in a while because we've been busy moving. Yep, we're now in beautiful Charleston, SC. Annapolis was fun, but the Pentagon job sucked. Now I've got a better job and we're back to the city we truly love.

Now the problem: Icefire is still in Annapolis. We've got the slip there paid through May, so we're good for now. But I'm having a ridiculous time finding parking for her down here. Every marina is going to be $4500 or more annually. Compared to the $1500/yr I'm paying for the private slip in Annapolis, that seems a bit steep.

Driving around, I see a lot of deep-water access piers without boats on them, so I'm sure that there ought to be someone willing to rent theirs out. But so far, I've had no joy finding anyone.

There are also lots of mooring buoys around, but no marina claims them or seems to know who's in charge of them.

So..... I'm pretty sure there are some Low Country residents on here. Do you guys have any tips on finding private slip or mooring owners?

Thanks,
Alexei
Old 26-11-2008, 15:27   #2
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei View Post
Hi folks,

Haven't been on here in a while because we've been busy moving. Yep, we're now in beautiful Charleston, SC. Annapolis was fun, but the Pentagon job sucked. Now I've got a better job and we're back to the city we truly love.

Now the problem: Icefire is still in Annapolis. We've got the slip there paid through May, so we're good for now. But I'm having a ridiculous time finding parking for her down here. Every marina is going to be $4500 or more annually. Compared to the $1500/yr I'm paying for the private slip in Annapolis, that seems a bit steep.

Driving around, I see a lot of deep-water access piers without boats on them, so I'm sure that there ought to be someone willing to rent theirs out. But so far, I've had no joy finding anyone.

There are also lots of mooring buoys around, but no marina claims them or seems to know who's in charge of them.

So..... I'm pretty sure there are some Low Country residents on here. Do you guys have any tips on finding private slip or mooring owners?

Thanks,
Alexei
Alexei,

At $4,500 for a 28' ($13/foot/month + a fee or two) you've probably found the cheapest marina rates. The cheapest marinas when I last checked a few years ago were Daniel Island Marina (up the Cooper) and Buzzard's Bay Marina (Stono).

The mooring buoys across from City Marina are handled by them. But the price is not a huge amount cheaper than a slip. (At least they weren't a few years ago.) But I'd check with them @ (843) 723-5098.

As to private stuff, I've had a boat there for several years, but I don't live there. I do know a few people, though. I'll check when I get back down there and see if they have an idea about the best place to look. My first thought would be the free entertainment newspaper (dang, can't remember the name of it). There's also a semi-local boating magazine (more of a boat seller, but they have some articles and classifieds. Again, can't remember the name...). You can find it free at places near the water. I get it at the gas station at the City Marina.

Check back here around Dec 6/7 and maybe I'll have a suggestion or two to post.

-dan
Old 26-11-2008, 18:56   #3

Boat: Whitby 42
Hi we live aboard in Charleston, SC. Buzzards is no longer an option for inexpensive rent as they have remodeled. We live at Ashley marina which is privately owned for the most part now but you can rent through owners. Send me a message through here and I will ask around for any slips owners wanting to rent out when we get back from holidays.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:50   #4

Dock Search.com - Boat docks, slip, dockage for rent classifieds.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:02   #5

Boat: Boatless
Just drop the hook in the Ashley River off the City Marina...

Phil
Old 06-12-2008, 19:27   #6
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Alexei,

Sorry, I struck out. The Coastal Cruiser doesn't have classifieds like I thought. And the people I asked all said about the same things: watch classifieds in the paper, etc. A few people said they'd keep an ear out, but when people say that, they seldom come up with anything.

-dan
Old 07-12-2008, 05:03   #7

I live in florida now but have lived in charleston most of my life if you don't mind having the boat up the road a bit try mclellonville or georgetown.
Cheers
Old 23-01-2009, 05:08   #8

I may know of an available helical mooring. Feel free to e-mail at captaincurt321@comcast.net.
Old 25-01-2009, 11:49   #9

Boat: Mariner 40 - Sea Trek
Mariners Cay

Checkout Mariners Cay at Folly Beach... best rates we have found...$12 per foot + $25 for elect.

"Our sails are set with courage and determination to live our life as told by the heart." Not all adults are meant to be grown-ups. We are proof of that!!!
Old 31-01-2009, 14:24   #10

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Did you check Charleston Maritime Center? I just pulled in here today and their transient rates are 1.20/ft vs 2.00/ft at the megadock and the power is cheaper too. I don't know their monthly rates but there are a bunch of liveaboards on decent boats here so it might be worth a call.