Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2011, 12:07   #1

Charts: San Francisco to Acapulco

I have an essentially complete set of used paper charts for a cruise from San Francisco to Acapulco. Large scale, small scale, most harbors, Sea of Cortez. They are folded in eighths. Some have light markings in pencil. Some are a bit water damaged, but perfectly serviceable. They've cruised Mexico many times on Eupsychia, a Cal 36, who is also for sale for practically free. No, I'm not going to count them or list them.

Here's the deal. They are sitting here, ashore, in Monterey. They are free except for shipping cost (12#). You can pick them up as you sail south if you like. As such they will go to the first dedicated CF'er who can make a convincing plea of poverty and immediate necessity. No armchair sailors. No multihull or powerboaters need apply (kidding!).

Daddle
Old 25-07-2011, 20:38   #2

Boat: Columbia 34 MKII
Re: Charts for San Francisco to Acapulco

Not in desperate poverty, unless you count the 7 furlough days the school district threw at us. Not cruising immediately, still have 5 years to retirement, but great interest and likely to use the ones down to San Diego next year as my daughter is in college down there. I sail out of Moss Landing, so pick up could be arranged.

If a more suitable match comes up for your charts, go for it. If none materialize, I'd be interested.

Rich
Old 26-07-2011, 11:59   #3

Boat: Searching for a family cat

Pick me! What could be more pathetic than a landlocked wannabe in Sacramento? Actually we hope to be on the water soon and will most surely sailing these waters and the HaHa is in our sights! Did I mention 3 kids in braces?
thanks,
Mark
Old 26-07-2011, 17:29   #4

Okay, pretty good Rich and Mark. I'll give it a few more days to see if someone with a real gift of prose can make me weep...

Rich: Yes, maybe I can split the set at the border.

BTW folks, these charts are the real deal. Real NOAA or DMA/NGA (?) charts. Not the cheap junk from a copy machine.
Old 26-07-2011, 18:21   #5

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

I have a wonderful sob story that you couldn't possibly resist, but, alas, after a little highland dew, I can't really find the sad voice in me to make it work. I could use 'em but, I find myself unworthy, in a thespian sense.-

Old 27-07-2011, 12:46   #6

Im off on the Baja Ha-Ha this year, entry no 74, we are on a very limited budget. If you donate these to me I'll offer a set of Hawaii charts in return
Baz
Old 28-07-2011, 14:33   #7

Okay, Minnie Maru, that's the best so far. The Ha-ha on a shoestring tugs at my heart. Anyone else? Last chance at a great deal...
Old 28-07-2011, 15:09   #8
NTD

Boat: Nautor Swan 46 MK I

I am interested. My wife and I are retiring. I am shipping my boat to Point Richmond and plan to do a year of coastal cruising along California before heading for Hawaii next year. I have no local knowledge and would especially appreciate any pencil scratchings that are included. I can also offer some kona coffee and/or macadamia nuts in exchange.
Those Hawaii charts would be mighty nice also................
Old 28-07-2011, 17:08   #9

Dang! Looks like I'm being undercut by people with real needs!
Old 28-07-2011, 18:34   #10

Location: Southern California...s/v Feral Cat Catalina 38' S&S design
Boat: Catalina 38' S&S design

Okay, how about a guy who is just learning to sail? He purchased his first real boat after doing "online research" to qualify a boat within the budget... Guy finds a boat that seems to fit the bill. The boat being within driving distance enhances the excitement.
Did I say “new sailor,” “first real boat”??? I really didn’t know what I was looking for.
I have refit the boat for a perceived dream of setting sail and never coming back. Who knows if that is even possible? The reality is; the probability of that occurring is remote. What will probably occur is the guy will continue working, staying within the confines of past institutionalizations (whatever they maybe), take care of responsibilities and plod down these dirt paths as history has demonstrated.
These maps hold the real potential as cruising grounds for a future destination.

I go out of the harbor heading south and I am on your maps. Maps all the way to Acapulco… the only (real) possible “distant” locations reachable. These maps eventually will become an objective to overcome. I will need to purchase this whole set to be able to cruise up and into the Sea of Cortes.

I will not even consider attempting to go to the places possible on these maps without them. I won’t attempt these great distances without paper charts. These maps, will remove obstacles for me to place “as a stop” to set sail. I am unsure if I will find the same set of maps anywhere else. These maps as a set make navigation to these places seem a possibility. These maps will provide the information to plan, prepare and dream. Time spent learning how possible these trips are; provide the courage to go for it… You will be helping a (hopefully) future cruiser to go after by removing a roadblock!
Fair winds and safe sails…
Old 28-07-2011, 18:46   #11

We would love them as we are finally getting our boat within the month and hopefully will ge doing the baha-ha-ha... Don't have anything as of yet, chart wise, and would love to start the set right...
Old 28-07-2011, 18:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cat View Post
...dream of setting sail and never coming back. Who knows if that is even possible?
It's possible. And most all outcomes are good.

Your request has merit, however lacks a bit in my requirement for "immediate need."

Fortunately for your plans the Sea of Cortez charts are of an almost useless small scale. So you'll want the book: Sea of Cortez: A Cruiser's Guidebook by Shawn Breeding and Heather Bansmer instead.
Old 29-07-2011, 09:50   #13

Location: Southern California...s/v Feral Cat Catalina 38' S&S design
Boat: Catalina 38' S&S design

Cool, I shall place the recommended book on my list of things to review/purchase...

Thanks for the consideration and recommendation.
Old 31-07-2011, 22:06   #14

And the winner of this amazing packet of charts is...
Old 31-07-2011, 22:39   #15
NTD

Boat: Nautor Swan 46 MK I

Hehehee

Tags
charts