Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 12:17   #46

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox
That marina has a very very bad reputation. I would inspect the lift before i let them haul my boat. Well... actually...I wouldn't let them haul my boat.There was a major fire...explosion there several years ago..more than a dozen boats destroyed.....there were such bad reviews by sooo many people on yelp? I think its called, that Riviera closed down on that site so no one else could review it......I'm only letting you know this so you are aware and use caution....you don't want your great deal to turn into a nightmare...good luck
Google maps shows it pretty sparse for accommodations except two simple docks and a place to lift boats out of the water along with what looks like 100 boats on the hard with very few open spaces. Looks clean and orderly on the satellite photo.

Any lift can and does drop a boat. That is all up to the people doing the rigging. Bad rigging drops boats. Accidents through errors does happen. Our marina lost a boat due to fire last year and several boats were damaged. No fault of the marina. That is what insurance is for.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:24   #47

Re: Corbin 39

Can anyone show me please that marina on map? I cannot find it...
Old 02-10-2012, 12:34   #48

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

Riviera Marina in Punta Gorda, Florida, United States
Old 02-10-2012, 13:55   #49

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox
That marina has a very very bad reputation. I would inspect the lift before i let them haul my boat. Well... actually...I wouldn't let them haul my boat.There was a major fire...explosion there several years ago..more than a dozen boats destroyed.....there were such bad reviews by sooo many people on yelp? I think its called, that Riviera closed down on that site so no one else could review it......I'm only letting you know this so you are aware and use caution....you don't want your great deal to turn into a nightmare...good luck
I agree it's rough looking but at this point I have the least to risk, now after I invest 50k into this boat it maybe a different story!
They recently splashed a Morgan 44 at an easy 30,000lbs, mine is at the lowest it will ever be at 21,000lbs.
Old 02-10-2012, 14:43   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by brin View Post
Can anyone show me please that marina on map? I cannot find it...

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&s...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iir76kyr.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	47541  
Old 02-10-2012, 14:47   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape39 View Post
I agree it's rough looking but at this point I have the least to risk, now after I invest 50k into this boat it maybe a different story!
They recently splashed a Morgan 44 at an easy 30,000lbs, mine is at the lowest it will ever be at 21,000lbs.

I looked up your distance from your new sailboat, and that is quite a drive! Not exactly in your back yard.

You going to move, or move your new boat?

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=h...t=h&mra=ls&z=9
Old 02-10-2012, 14:53   #52

Gary...i think you posted a pic of charlotte harbour boat storage? Which is not the same as Riviera Marina

Riviera Marina is the one known as Barry Howards Place....the other....charlotte harbor boat storage has been recommended many times by people i know locally in the marine biz....
Old 02-10-2012, 16:44   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo

I looked up your distance from your new sailboat, and that is quite a drive! Not exactly in your back yard.

You going to move, or move your new boat?

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=h...t=h&mra=ls&z=9
Hi Gary,
I travel the state every week. My Corbin cutter is slipped in Hollywood and now this one near ft Myers. This 'round the state' trip is common place to a field tech. I average 40,000 miles a year driving, that's when they can keep me from sailing off LOL
Old 02-10-2012, 20:20   #54

I could travel, and find work anywhere, but I have no balls to uproot. 55 going on 80 lol
Old 02-10-2012, 20:23   #55

Hey, change your info below your avatar to:

Boat: 2 Corbin 39's

I could do something similar, but I decided to part out one boat.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:08   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
Goldiphoxit.,
The marina in question is officially “The Do It Yourself Boatyard”. I have a Catalina 30 on the hard there for the past year for a refit that will be splashed the end of the month. I like the place but the marina is not for everyone. “Yachter” types should certainly go up the harbor to American Boat Yard or Charlotte Harbor Boat Yard, both first class yards.
See the place before you condemn. You are welcome to come to the splash party. Email me if you are interested. Bring cat food.

Fair winds
jim
Old 03-10-2012, 12:40   #57

To each his own. I am simply passing on what i have been told by locals. I have not been there. If I were going somewhere that I was not familiar with, I would like to hear the word from the locals....I personally have saved myself a bundle of money by speaking with alot of folks and getting recommendations before I've made a decision. I don't care where the buyer takes his new boat. I am simply making him aware.
Old 03-10-2012, 23:17   #58

I am in an industry where the competition starts false rumors about one another. That happens all the time in all sorts of businesses.

The Internet image looks good. Full clean dry harbor. Do your own work on your own boat. The only rumor the neighbors could start would be dropping a boat.

Yahoo has good things to say about them in the first reference. A call to the BBB is free. I would not be afraid from what I see in a long ways off in Nebraska.

I would not use them to go sailing once a week or more. Too far from blue water and the fees would kill you.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:59   #59

Actually they are easier to get to than the one across the harbor, you have to go through a lock and make your way through the canals. As far as price, they are very fair. Up to one third the price of most others here. Only drawback is their lift, looks like some I've seen in the Carib.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:19   #60

Could not sail out of there frequently as the lift fees would eat you up. As a place to work on your own boat and splash it again, looks fine to me.