Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2012, 05:06   #1

Corbin 39

Corbin 39 Blue water sailboat. Needs new diesel and interior. Topside gear good. $8,000 obo. Center cockpit, ketch. Could be world cruiser, charter boat or live aboard. Needs work. Located SW Fla. in the water at do it yourself boatyard.

jimparisphoto@gmail.com
Old 20-09-2012, 05:33   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Corbin 39

8 grand for a Corbin 39? Typo? No? then pictures please.
Old 20-09-2012, 05:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Could be $8,000. Needs engine and interior? The boat could be gutted.

Also, most of the Corbins were kit boats with the corresponding variation in the quality of the interior finish, some good, some not. I read that the earlier models had significant weather helm problems.

Still the hulls were solid and could be a good deal for someone with more skills and time than money.
Old 25-09-2012, 11:04   #4

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac
Could be $8,000. Needs engine and interior? The boat could be gutted.

Also, most of the Corbins were kit boats with the corresponding variation in the quality of the interior finish, some good, some not. I read that the earlier models had significant weather helm problems.

Still the hulls were solid and could be a good deal for someone with more skills and time than money.
Not true on weather helm, provided you sail it as a cutter.......but even with no motor, the hull and rigging is worth more than the asking price.
Old 25-09-2012, 11:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape39 View Post
Not true on weather helm, provided you sail it as a cutter.
Since I have not had the good fortune to sail a Corbin I just passed on information from a usually knowledgeable source which didn't qualify the statement in regards to rig or sail plan. Since you have one (and I assume have also sailed it occasionally ) I would not argue with direct experience.

Quote:
.but even with no motor, the hull and rigging is worth more than the asking price.
Could be. Just to put some really rough numbers on it.

New engine, yard installed - $15-$20,000
Redo interior also professionally done. Huge variation. Could be $5-$6,000 or could be $15-$20,000.
Wiring, miscellaneous stuff that you always run into on a project, $5-$10,000.
Considering the stated condition might need new rigging $3-$4000.
New main and jib $5-$6,000

So, worst case scenario under $70,000 for a Corbin with all major systems brand new.

Considering later model Corbins are mostly listing for well over $100,000 without new engine, sales, etc could be a very good deal for someone willing to put in the time.
Old 25-09-2012, 14:38   #6

Quote:

Since I have not had the good fortune to sail a Corbin I just passed on information from a usually knowledgeable source which didn't qualify the statement in regards to rig or sail plan. Since you have one (and I assume have also sailed it occasionally ) I would not argue with direct experience.

Could be. Just to put some really rough numbers on it.

New engine, yard installed - $15-$20,000
Redo interior also professionally done. Huge variation. Could be $5-$6,000 or could be $15-$20,000.
Wiring, miscellaneous stuff that you always run into on a project, $5-$10,000.
Considering the stated condition might need new rigging $3-$4000.
New main and jib $5-$6,000

So, worst case scenario under $70,000 for a Corbin with all major systems brand new.

Considering later model Corbins are mostly listing for well over $100,000 without new engine, sales, etc could be a very good deal for someone willing to put in the time.
Hi Skip
Your right on the possible value if some sweat equity is involved, but isn't that why we buy and maintain the old boats? As far as the sailing qualities of the early Corbin's, the mast was mounted closer to the stern than a sloop rig but I have found it very easy to compensate with the staysail. The issue on my boat is the rig was built to include back stays on both spreaders not allowing me to 'layover the main' on a downwind sail. There are ways to make these stays removable but I feel the forces on a downwind are when they are needed most I have not tried it yet. But with just a 130 genny on a consistent blow I rarely use my main.
Old 25-09-2012, 14:55   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

The interior is where the real work is.

Before I brought Boracay (44' steel) I rang round a few places to get quotes on doing the interior.

I stopped counting at $120,000 and that was just for the basic work.

I'm well over 5,000 hours and 5 years at the moment and still haven't finished. Might never finish.

That includes new almost everything, including engine and big compliant holding tank.

Mind you, at 5 years I'm starting to replace parts. Toilet pump and batteries and...
Old 25-09-2012, 15:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay
The interior is where the real work is.

Before I brought Boracay (44' steel) I rang round a few places to get quotes on doing the interior.

I stopped counting at $120,000 and that was just for the basic work.

I'm well over 5,000 hours and 5 years at the moment and still haven't finished. Might never finish.

That includes new almost everything, including engine and big compliant holding tank.

Mind you, at 5 years I'm starting to replace parts. Toilet pump and batteries and...
I hear ya brother, I sometimes think about a new boat but than where is the satisfaction of your hard work......and you can customize as needed which as you know, NO boat is as you would want it off the shelf....
Old 25-09-2012, 15:34   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi Skip
Your right on the possible value if some sweat equity is involved, but isn't that why we buy and maintain the old boats?
Why would you think that? Just because I own a 28 year old boat?

Quote:
As far as the sailing qualities of the early Corbin's, the mast was mounted closer to the stern than a sloop rig but I have found it very easy to compensate with the staysail. The issue on my boat is the rig was built to include back stays on both spreaders not allowing me to 'layover the main' on a downwind sail. There are ways to make these stays removable but I feel the forces on a downwind are when they are needed most I have not tried it yet. But with just a 130 genny on a consistent blow I rarely use my main.
My boat is cutter rigged with runners which I like. Unfortunately I've been on the hard for three years rebuilding my old boat and have never even hooked them up. But I will.

By the way, the Corbin 39 was on my short list when I was shopping but didn't find the right boat/price/location so bought the Pearson. No regrets but wouldn't have minded the Corbin at all.
Old 25-09-2012, 15:44   #10

Quote:

Why would you think that? Just because I own a 28 year old boat?

My boat is cutter rigged with runners which I like. Unfortunately I've been on the hard for three years rebuilding my old boat and have never even hooked them up. But I will.

By the way, the Corbin 39 was on my short list when I was shopping but didn't find the right boat/price/location so bought the Pearson. No regrets but wouldn't have minded the Corbin at all.
Yea, I love the way it sails.......we'll have to go for a sail, if your ever in Florida..
Old 25-09-2012, 16:58   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yea, I love the way it sails.......we'll have to go for a sail, if your ever in Florida..
Ha. I'm in Florida. Gainesville. Only place in the state where it is a two hour drive to the nearest West Marine.

Was a liveaboard in Hollywood for about a year, 1983-84.
Old 25-09-2012, 17:03   #12

Quote:

Ha. I'm in Florida. Gainesville. Only place in the state where it is a two hour drive to the nearest West Marine.

Was a liveaboard in Hollywood for about a year, 1983-84.
Small world! Agape sits on the ICW in Hollywood. Where is you boat stored? I have a small ranch in Claremont, and most of my work is in so. Florida.
Old 25-09-2012, 17:23   #13

Quote:
Small world! Agape sits on the ICW in Hollywood. Where is you boat stored? I have a small ranch in Claremont, and most of my work is in so. Florida.
You should just work on finishing you teak
Old 25-09-2012, 17:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30

You should just work on finishing you teak
AHH.. so you saw me out there sanding did you, your right, time to do the bright work! It never ends , keeps me out of trouble !
Old 25-09-2012, 18:26   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not sure if the place is still there but we were docked at a little hotel/marina on the ICW just south of Sheriden. Claremont I also know from passing through on the way to Winter Haven to see my in-laws.

My boat is currently in the woods just outside of Alachua (about 5 miles from the Hunter factory ). Check the lat/lon by my icon. I had it trucked over from Green Cove Springs and parked at my little mosquito farm in the country. Can leave home and be there in 15 minutes vs 1 1/2 - 2 hours to the nearest deep water accessible marina. Saves a heap of time working on the boat. Just drove out after dinner to put another coat of paint on the new refer and made it home before 9.