Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 05:16   #16

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Dacron Mainsail

Funny. Usually people ask about the condition of the sail, which to be quite honest, I am always perplexed how to answer this. No tears, no stains, material seems moderately crisp. But shape under load is impossible for me to judge with it laying on the ground. Which is why I included the pictures of it hoisted and sailing on the boat. The boatpix helicopter shots were just myself out there, so not exactly trimmed for speed, but the shape looks ok anyway.

One thing I didn't like about the dacron sails is that the roach blows off when the wind really pipes up. I know that might be a good thing, but years of racing light weight trimarans and flat square-top synthetic sails, it really took some good wind to do that to a sail. So I ordered new sails for this Seawind, synthetic material, and they blow off at the top as well, but not as much. Of course, you would not expect as much, since they material is less stretch (vs Dacron) and new.

Ok, back to selling this sail. When I purchased the new mainsail, the batten supplier shipped in a 16 ft long tube, and it was much cheaper than I had expected. His explanation was that he had a commercial account, and did lots of shipping, so got volume discount. If someone wants this to go by truck, I am not real far from the Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH) where the commercial shippers have docks, and could drop it off there. Guess I could drape the batten bundle across the top of the Avalanche. I'll work with you. I'd like to see this sail go to a sailor, and not to a resale shop.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:42   #17

I'd be all over it were it about 10 feet taller... didja try at the multihulls4us fora?
Old 11-06-2013, 14:22   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to kitehawaii

Yes that's definitely the scam. I've see that before. Never reply when it any fishy or phishy and they want your bank account info.

That said, I checked with Freightquote.com and it looks like it would be around $200 to $300 for the odd sized battens that don't fold in half. Anyway I'm trying to figure out if there are any other options.

They said they can't go into neighborhoods with the big truck so you would have to meet the trucker somewhere easy for him.

How does the PM thing work on this forum?

My number is 808-283-three five 78. Can you phone me. Thanks
Old 18-05-2014, 18:48   #19

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
After months of waiting for this sail to be picked up, it is up for sale.again.

Tags
mainsail