Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2016, 04:35   #1

dean kennedy trimaran

Is this Trimaran a known boat in here at CF.?
48' (50'LOA) 1963 Dean Kennedy Custom Tri-maran
Old 14-12-2016, 05:12   #2

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Re: dean kennedy trimaran

I know it was posted in the cheap project boats post. It seems like an interesting boat, very nice lines. You'd want to get a surveyor with experience in cold molded wood and fiberglass hulls. You'd want to make sure there aren't areas in the hull that have been compromised by water intrusion over the last 40+ years. I'm going to assume that there has been just a matter of how much and how far the rot has gone. The price might be an indication of how much work the hull needs, then again maybe not.

The underbody is interesting to say the least. In some original articles from the 70's it was stated the bought didn't have an engine and used a small outboard for maneuvering. It appears the large fin where the prop shaft comes out was added later. The rudder seem like it would be off balance or give a lot of weather helm with how shallow and long (fore and aft) it is.However, this might have been accounted for in the initial design of the hull and rig and the center of effort and moment. Only a sea trial will tell I guess.
Old 14-12-2016, 05:19   #3

Re: dean kennedy trimaran

I have been trying to contact the seller by email and text but no reply.

Tags
trimaran