Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2015, 16:59   #1

Duo Gen wind/water generator

I'm in the process of buying a 2011 Elan 444. This is a European boat that was sailed across the Atlantic. It was equipped with a DuoGen -- wind and water generator. I'm pretty sure that the original owner installed it because it is recommended for the ARC. It looks like it is in excellent condition (just like the entire boat) and will be checked at survey next month.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to use it when I add davits. Therefore I will be taking it off the boat and selling it. I will be pricing it competitively with a high quality wind generator, e.g. a D400, but I have not figured the price yet; too busy with getting other ducks in line.

Please contact me if you are interested in this unit. The boat is in the Tampa, FL area and I will work with you on transportation if not local.

The reason for posting this now is that you might want to see it before it is taken off the boat in late July (if you happen to live in the area).
Old 17-06-2015, 20:05   #2

Re: Duo Gen wind/water generator

Hi, I may be interested, what voltage is it? Thanks
Old 17-06-2015, 21:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson Lover View Post
Hi, I may be interested, what voltage is it? Thanks
It's 12 volts. It was not obvious where the voltage regulator/controller was when I was inspecting the boat, but there must be one. That will go with the generator.

I will know much more about it by mid-July. Send me your email address and I will keep you informed. Mine is mlibkind (at) bsweet (dot) net.

Marcus
Old 21-06-2015, 13:39   #4

Boat: O'Day 40

What's the price? You're supposed to have the asking price on items for sale. Look at the forum rules.
Old 21-06-2015, 16:46   #5

Sorry. I thought that since it was not in the classified section, and because I didn't even know the cost of the unit at the time I posted, that the price was not an issue. Again, sorry.

Here's a link to more info. Note, I do not know if it is the short or long version, but I suspect that it is the long due to the size of the boat it is coming off of. I will find out in the first half of July when I go for the survey.

The DuoGen-3 water / wind generator

Here is a video of it operating in the water mode.

The first link gives some prices. You should look at prices without VAT tax. Assuming it is the short version, but I'm pretty sure it is the long version, and with the regulator/controller, the cost is 2367 GBP (pounds). Right now that translates to $3759. I'm asking $1350.
Old 22-06-2015, 10:31   #6

Boat: Tartan 4100

Other than the unit itself, what is included, regulator? Mounting post?

Pierre
Old 22-06-2015, 11:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_saillavie View Post
Other than the unit itself, what is included, regulator? Mounting post?

Pierre
The post is an integral part of this wind/water generator because it tilts to drop the water turbine blades into the water so it is obviously included. If you haven't done so already, take a look at the video.

I did not make note of what electronics was aboard the boat, but I'm selling it with all associated electronics that is currently aboard. I did notice a huge resistor (my word) that is probably for dumping extra power; this leads me to believe that the owner installed the regulator and diversion load, and possibly some of the other optional stuff. It all goes with the generator and will be known more accurately in mid-July.
Old 23-06-2015, 05:07   #8

Boat: Tartan 4100

Thanks for the information. I decided not to proceed any further.
Old 24-06-2015, 08:01   #9

FYI, I received this email from the DuoGen manufacturer:

"Thank you for your message. There is a serial number printed on the plate attached to each D/G alternator. If you can give us the serial number we can tell you when the unit was manufactured, and what specification it is. Assuming the D/G is contemporary with the yacht, it will be a DuoGen II. It is also likely to be a Long tower variant. If so the main aluminium tower will be 1.6 metres long. An extra- long version would have a main tower 1.85 metres long.

All spare parts for DuoGen are available and each part is supplied complete with fitting instructions. We at Eclectic try to be as supportive as possible to owners of our generators. So if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us. Note there is also a website Micro Wind Turbines manufactured by Eclectic Energy Ltd, which contains lots of useful information on D/G installation and operation.

We always describe D/G as a superb water generator and a competent wind generator. D/G was designed for yachtsmen who routinely make extended offshore passages, where DuoGen’s water mode is quite capable of matching typical electricity consumption. The wind mode can also make a useful contribution when the yacht is at anchor or in harbour, but most owners agree it is the water performance where D/G really scores."

I will get the serial number when I am next in FL.

Old 23-07-2015, 09:20   #10

Here is added info about the Duo Gen 2 that I have for sale.

Product code: 80047
DuoGen 2 extra long 12 v including universal mount kit

Product code : 80007
Regulator 12 v

We tested in light wind and could see output. During the sea trial we did not have the ability to check the output but there is only one generator so there should be no problem.

I will own the boat in about two days. Email me at mlibkind (at) bsweet (dot) net if you are seriously interested in the unit. I want to make sure any buyer is happy with it and that would be easier if it is still on the boat. If you are not close to Sarasota Florida then we would have to work something else out. I'm willing to work with you within reason.

Marcus

Tags
generator, water, wind