Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2015, 18:40   #16

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Folding bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I bought two of the Montague folding bikes two years ago while camping in Colorado. I didn't get the high end model, I went for the $630 X-50 Swiss Bike model.
I was extremely disappointed in the quality of the bike overall. These bikes remind me of something you could buy at K-Mart for $ 199. Components are real cheap. My wife gave up on hers because it was so uncomfortable to ride. There's something wrong with the geometry. I tried buying new stems, with different rises and extensions, and seat posts, and seats....these were a mistake. I sure wouldn't put them on a boat.
Oh that's disappointing to hear.. There is a place in NOLA that has them. Going to try to ride them and see if it's comfortable or not. Makes a huge difference riding a bike that fits you that's for sure.

I wonder if it was because you got the base model or not? I was looking at the one step up, Paratrooper.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Old 09-05-2015, 20:16   #17

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Oh that's disappointing to hear.. There is a place in NOLA that has them. Going to try to ride them and see if it's comfortable or not. Makes a huge difference riding a bike that fits you that's for sure.

I wonder if it was because you got the base model or not? I was looking at the one step up, Paratrooper.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
If you're familiar with mountain bikes you probably will not be surprised by the feel. After adjusting it to suit my height (6'1") and angle preference I was very comfortable (this might be that I've grown up on mountain bikes pretty much exclusively).

The geometry will be the same from the Paratrooper to the X50 (all use the same frame), but the components are certainly different. Canibul is correct, in that the X50 is built with cheaper components (some of which may be found on Walmart bikes).
Old 09-05-2015, 22:44   #18

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Wisdom View Post
If you're familiar with mountain bikes you probably will not be surprised by the feel. After adjusting it to suit my height (6'1") and angle preference I was very comfortable (this might be that I've grown up on mountain bikes pretty much exclusively).

The geometry will be the same from the Paratrooper to the X50 (all use the same frame), but the components are certainly different. Canibul is correct, in that the X50 is built with cheaper components (some of which may be found on Walmart bikes).
Oh alright, I got ya. When I was looking into them, I saw a thread online somewhere about how this guy changed all the components for better/lighter ones and the bike lost like 15 lbs. And rode much better.

I think on a boat you could probably get away with two or maybe even one primary gear up front, and lighter cranks.. Lighter and better handlebar, stem, and seat post would definitely she'd weight and possibly help ergonomics if needed. Not to mention controls, they probably aren't shipped with the best stuff. So I can understand where the 15lbs can come from.

Just costs more...

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Old 10-05-2015, 09:47   #19

Boat: Catalina 38 S&S

I have 2 for sale.
As new.
$540 for both
Send message if interested
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1431276417.878190.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	101743

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-05-2015, 10:47   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Jolly Roger where are you going that you need a bike?? or are you just sitting. We have sailed the usa east coast 2 times, all the carib from mexico to Colombia to Jamaica to triny across the atlantic and now year 3 in the med.
Never had a real need for a bike or going someplace we could not walk.
But then again we are just cruisers.
Old 23-05-2015, 07:11   #21

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salus View Post
I have 2 for sale.
As new.
$540 for both
Send message if interested
Attachment 101743

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum