Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2009, 11:52   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52
For Sale: '07 Lagoon 420 Hybrid Catamaran £250,000

Fulfill Your Sailing Dreams with a luxury Lagoon 420 Hybrid Diesel/Electric Catamaran – Built 2007
Price: £250,000 (equivilent to 280k Euros/$370k USD at today's exchange rate)

This is an opportunity to obtain a state-of-the-art luxury sailing catamaran that offers stability, safety and comfort together with economical and ecological technologies that reduce the cost of ownership and enhance the cruising experience. This is Octopus, our beloved catamaran that we bought for our sailing sabbatical, which is now sadly at an end.

Octopus was built in the summer of 2007. She is the fifty second Lagoon 420 Hybrid to be built by Lagoon, the premier cruising catamaran boat-builder (part of the Beneteau group).

Octopus carried our family (husband and wife plus six children) safely across the Atlantic from England to the Caribbean and back again. We arrived in the Caribbean rested and refreshed, whilst others doing the same trip arrived drained and exhausted. She has faultlessly taken us across oceans and seas, between continents and islands, from wintery Britain to balmy tropical paradise and back home again, enduring five gales with impunity, giving us a perfect year that will live with us forever.

Octopus has given us our share of paradise and it is now time to hand her on for new owners to cherish and fulfill their dreams.

Contact us Now - by phone on +44 1770 820 324 or Mobile on +44 7877808305 or email us at sailingoctopus@googlemail.com.

Octopus is currently berthed at Clyde Marina in Ardrossan Harbour, Scotland a short train journey from both Prestwick Airport (Ryanair) and Glasgow Airport (Easyjet, BA, etc.). Please contact us to arrange a viewing.

Main Features
· Built summer 2007
· Safe, Stable and Spacious
· Class-leading accommodation

· Berths for up to ten persons in comfort (plus skipper’s cabin if converted)
· Four light and spacious double cabins with queen-sized double beds, wardrobe, generous storage space and en suite shower and toilet, providing privacy for all and space for guests, crew and storage.
· Pressurised hot and cold water in galley, toilets and showers
· Saloon berth conversion allows the dining area to be swiftly converted into a comfortable double berth
· Cavernous central compartment forward of the saloon that could be easily converted into a skipper’s cabin, or a workshop or used for storage of supplies
· Generous sized toilets and shower rooms (separate for forward cabins and combined for aft cabins)
· Light, airy and comfortable saloon with nav-station, galley and dining area for up to ten persons
· Large fully-equipped galley laid out in the sociable and pleasant galley-up configuration that adjoins both saloon and cockpit dining areas
· Gas oven and hob plus electric microwave (with convection oven and grill) providing for versatile and efficient cooking
· Fresh-water and sea-water foot pumps in galley (in addition to pressurised mixer tap with spray/jet head)
· Large Saloon dining area with full-sized table with seating for up to ten persons
· Large cockpit dining area with full-sized table with seating for up to ten persons under the shade of the rigid bimini
· Large rigid bimini providing a large upper sun-deck area and cockpit protection from sun and rain
· Cavernous hygienic and convenient storage
· Full-size Automatic Washing Machine
· Standard-size fridge with freezer compartment
· Convenient and effective 12V lighting throughout
· Dual circuit AC power sockets in saloon and all cabins for powering modern conveniences such as vacuum cleaner, hair dryers, laptops, kettles, toasters and bread makers
· Large load-carrying capability (nearly 4 ½ tonne carrying capacity) – ideal for long term blue water cruising or luxury liveaboard lifestyle
·
All sheets lead to helm allowing for easy sail management to facilitate simple short-handed sailing. Ideal for husband and wife.
· All-round visibility from cockpit and saloon
· Outstanding steering position with upholstered double seat that provides excellent visibility, comprehensive information from all shipboard systems and fingertip control without excluding the helmsperson from the cockpit social-centre
· Electric winch and windlass to ease the burden of sail and anchor handling
· Revolutionary hybrid design with electric motors for efficient propulsion and green-power generation under sail
· Superb manoeuvrability using the powerful twin electric motors driving large propellers on each hull making it easy to turn the boat in its own length and slip into the tightest of marina berths with confidence and style
· Well proven for water sailing">blue water sailing, having sailed in comfort, safety and style across the Atlantic in 2007 from England to Caribbean and back to Scotland in 2008
· Strong stainless steel davit system providing convenient and secure stowage for any dinghy. Raising and lowering of RIB can be easily and simply accomplished using either the local manual winch or the main electric winch
· Forward Pulpits with Wooden Seats for enjoying a sun-downer as the sun sets or for quiet solitary contemplation
· Mosquito nets on hatches in cabins and saloon
·
Simple and effective three-part reefing from helm position using Lazy Bag/Stack Pack
· Self-furling Genoa - original plus a spare
· Separate, self-furling Gennaker to provide plenty of sail power in light winds
· Large rigid bimini with built-in mainsail traveller providing safe and easy mainsail handling, keeping the boom well above and separated from crew, protecting them from the dangers of accidental gybes
· Spinnaker rig for those who want to liven up their sailing by flying a ‘kite’
· Twin 220VAC circuits providing dual outlets in saloon and all cabins supplied from separate power sources, the primary circuit supplied by either 17.5kVA generator or shore power and secondary circuit supplied 24/7 by a 3kW inverter sourced from the huge battery bank (see below)
· Top quality 17.5 kVA Onan marine generator to reliably, quietly and efficiently meet all power needs, providing an abundance of AC power for propulsion systems and all modern conveniences, including an automatic washing machine
· Huge battery bank (two 140 A/hr 12VDC domestic battery bank and indirectly from twelve 200A/hr propulsion batteries)
· High quality Raymarine navigation equipment: Powerful 24” 4kW Radar, E120 chart-plotter and GPS plus Electronic pack B (see below)
· Raymarine Electronics Pack B - ST60 Tridata (depth, speed and water temperature), ST60 Wind direction and speed, ST60 Multi Display (at the Nav Station), ST600 Autopilot with wireless remote
· Top-of-the-range ten-person Zodiac life-raft
· Uniden DSC VHF Transceiver with two cordless WAMx4 remotes
· Ample cleats, warps and fenders to make berthing safe and easy
· Outboard Engine Bracket
· Cavernous Port and Starboard fore and aft lazarettes, plus twin sail lockers, anchor locker, three cockpit lockers and ventilated gas locker
· Uncluttered fore-deck with flush deck hatches, wide side-decks and an aft passerelle providing for safe and easy movement around the boat
In short, the Lagoon 420 provides an ideal blend of comfort, space, safety, luxury, practicality and economy that make life aboard a constant pleasure. Octopus has been everything we could ever have hoped for and will, no doubt, deliver the same benefits to future owners for decades to come. View our blog at sailingoctopus.blogspot.com for further details of our adventure.

Notes
· VAT Status: Tax Paid

· Photos of Octopus can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/beth.mowatt/ViewsOfOctopus?feat=directlink

Lagoon 420 Links:

Introduction to the Lagoon 420

Specification

Views

360° View

Video

Photo Galleries
Cabin Layout
Sailing
Exterior
Interiors

Specification (pdf)

Brochure (pdf)

The Hybrid Diesel/Electric Propulsion System (pdf)

On-line Reviews of the 420
Lagoon 420 Hybrid: Mini Review
Lagoon 420: First Production Hybrid

Specification

Manufacturer
Lagoon
Model
Lagoon 420 Hybrid
Designer
Van Peteghem-Lauriot Prevost
LOA
12.61m
LWL
12.3m
Maximum Beam
7.5m
Dry (Light) Weight
12840 kgs
Displacement
13380 kgs
Standard Sail Area
98m2
Berths
8 plus saloon
Cabins
Standard Fuel Capacity
300 litres
Standard Water Capacity
2 x 175 litres

Old 21-04-2009, 12:49   #2

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Hello Octopus,

I enjoyed reading your Journey log, I wish I could buy her, I will give it serious thought, but it's just a bit early for me and I really prefer an owners layout. We read here all the time about those who want to cruise, but not often is there the prospective of someone who has and is deciding not to do it anymore. Just wondered if you might share your thoughts on moving on.

Cheers
Old 21-04-2009, 14:48   #3

Returning to the Rat-race after a Sailing Sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
Hello Octopus,

I enjoyed reading your Journey log, I wish I could buy her, I will give it serious thought, but it's just a bit early for me and I really prefer an owners layout. We read here all the time about those who want to cruise, but not often is there the prospective of someone who has and is deciding not to do it anymore. Just wondered if you might share your thoughts on moving on.

Cheers
Hi Capcook

The downside to a sailing sabbatical is returning to the rat race. My wife and kids settled back in very quickly. The kids all benefited hugely from the year away. However, I cannot describe how hard returning to normality was for me and it almost made me wish we hadn't gone.

The return transatlantic passage was tough, not because of the misfortune of encountering five gales, but because of the almost total absence of sunshine owing to 360° cloud cover for weeks on end. Our homecoming was an anti-climax because of bad weather and bad timing (all our friends were away). We returned in July last year to credit-crunch Britain and the start of the worst summer in living memory. Four days after arriving home I had to return to work, 400 miles from home, facing years of climbing the debt mountain we had created during our sailing sabbatical. Now we are back in the rat-race we find there just isn't room for sailing in our busy lives, so we have to sell our beloved Octopus. No, I cannot recommend returning home and leaving the cruising life behind. If we had the money we'd be out there now.

Good luck in your plans and fair sailing.

Chris
Old 22-04-2009, 18:32   #4

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Thanks for those thoughts Chris,

She looks like a great deal, best of luck with the sale and with climibing the mountain !!

Cheers
Old 21-06-2009, 20:31   #5

Hi there
Is this still for sale
We are in vancouver which would complicate matters, along with the falling dollar value, but we have some interest in a second had boat. Are there solar panels fitted?
How did you find this hybrid system in all honesty.
thanks, tim and chanel and only ONE child so far!
Old 22-06-2009, 10:38   #6

Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandchanel View Post
Hi there
Is this still for sale
We are in vancouver which would complicate matters, along with the falling dollar value, but we have some interest in a second had boat. Are there solar panels fitted?
How did you find this hybrid system in all honesty.
thanks, tim and chanel and only ONE child so far!
Hi Tim and Chanel

Yes Octopus is still for sale. We don't have solar panels fitted, we figured they were not cost-effective for a sailing sabbatical.

Check out my other posts to find out my views on the hybrid system, but in short I think it is brilliant. Main benefits are quieteness, ease and speed of maintenance, greater reliability, improved economy, reduced vibration, enhanced manoeverability, greater control, removal of engines from passenger accommodation, abundance of serious electrical power for none-propulsion purposes and huge battery bank. Disadvantages are marginal increase in weight, marginally lower top speed, prop drag under sail (owing to large non-feathering/folding props), reduced redundancy (generator is a single point of failure, albeit with the battery bank providing some backup). Generation of power under sail hasn't proved to be a big benefit for us, but is for other users.

We would hang on to Octopus if we could justify the cost, but now that our land lives have reclaimed us we don't have the time for sailing.

Chris
Octopus, Lagoon 420, Hull 52
Isle of Arran, Scotland
Old 22-06-2009, 12:00   #7

thanks for the fast response.
Why do the propellors have to be so large if you are not interested in sail power generating the batteries. I see the advantages of the hybrid as largely not to do with this feature. Therefore the props simply slow you down under sail.
Do you know if they can be replaced or are they sized to function with the electric engines.
I guess i can find this out.
Old 22-06-2009, 12:46   #8

Prop Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandchanel View Post
thanks for the fast response.
Why do the propellors have to be so large if you are not interested in sail power generating the batteries. I see the advantages of the hybrid as largely not to do with this feature. Therefore the props simply slow you down under sail.
Do you know if they can be replaced or are they sized to function with the electric engines.
I guess i can find this out.
The props are sized to take advantage of the torque delivered by the electric motors. I'm not sure of the technicalities, but essentially it is only by using large props that it is possible to realise the efficiency gains that mean that 28hp Kubota engine driving a generator to power twin electric motors can deliver sufficient thrust to compete with twin Yanmar 40hp engines. Smaller props would mean giving up that efficiency gain and you would be left with the conversion losses from tranforming kinetic energy into electrical energy and back into kinetic energy again.

I believe that some 420 owners may be experimenting with folding props.

Chris
Old 08-11-2009, 07:18   #9

Boat: Lagoon 420 Hybrid
Any Lagoon 420 Hybrid Owners out there having troublkes with the electric system?
Old 08-11-2009, 08:03   #10

Reliability problems with the Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Perna View Post
Any Lagoon 420 Hybrid Owners out there having troublkes with the electric system?
It's true to say that some owners have had a lot of problems with their hybrid system and many, like us, have had no problems at all. I think almost all the problems have been with the early hybrids. Lagoon launched the 420 before the hybrid system had been fully developed and properly tested. They have since installed G3 upgrades to all the hybrids and I think they are generally now performing as planned. The early version of the system, G1, does not seem to have been very resilient and needed careful treatment, i.e. not the sort of treatment it was likely to receive from the average charter customer. A couple of owner's are reporting that they have been burning out units in their chargers (each charger has three units and each boat has two chargers). This sounds like it may be caused by a cooling and ventilation problem and only seems to affect a few boats.

We have had no problems with our hybrid system itself, apart from getting thru rather more impellers on the generator than we would have liked. This seems to have been cured by switching to Jabsco impellers. We had a oil sensor fail on the Kubota generator, which was quick easy and cheap to fit. We also had a loose connection on a connector block that controlled one of the electric motors - my fault entirely as I moved the connector block to a vulnerable position to fit an inverter.

All in all, I would say that hybrids around now should be as reliable as the diesel version, if not more so, and significantly more pleasant to own. That said, if I was putting a boat into charter, I would probably choose a diesel over the hybrid, because they are probably more foolproof.

Chris

Tags
lagoon 420