Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2008, 12:27   #16

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
BUM RAP FOR WILDCATS

I notice you're brand new to this forum. Well, welcome aboard! You can find some great information here on this site.

Yes, I've known about the Bumfuzzle saga for several years and had spoken with Pat (Bumfuzzle owner) prior to my purchase of my Wildcat. It has not been a reoccurring problem with these boats. It's just that this one person got quite vocal on the internet (mostly on this forum) which makes some people think that they're all bad boats. The Wildcats are an excellent value for an entry level bluewater cruising catamaran - the reason why I purchased her - and she's proven to be a wonderful boat. There are other Wildcat/Jaguar owners that are also very happy with their boats and sail them regularly in blue water. The Bumfuzzle deal is one that got alot of attention due to the owners persistence (and internet savy) on thrashing the builder for a problem that he couldn't prove was a factory default and he wanted them to pay for his misfortune. Keep in mind that it was the first boat that he's ever owned and he didn't purchase the boat brand new from the factory. It had already sailed from Durban to Ft. Lauderdale before he bought it (over 5K nm I think). A MAJOR point that must be made is that the Bumfuzzle boat was surveyed prior to Pat buying it, and by a world renowned multihull surveyor who's done over 1,000 survey's. His survey passed with no problems. The hull was fine. I've spoken with the surveyor in person, as others have as well, and he still claims that the hull was fine upon his survey. Something had to have happen. It wasn't until Pat sailed Bumfuzzle to Panama and got it hauled for a bottom job that they discovered the delamination problem.

You should check out this thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ack-18070.html which has been quite active lately regarding Bumfuzzle. I recently added a comment to the entire saga titled BUM RAP FOR WILDCATS that sheds a realistic light on the whole matter. Read it for some valuable insight into these boats. You need to read the whole story which will offer you an objective opinion.

We love our boat and will miss her dearly as she's given us some great memories both cruising and here locally on the ICW in Florida. For personal reasons we're not able to cruise for any extended length of time as we originally planned but she is all ready to go for the next owner as per the detailed descriptions in the listing on our web page.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. And once again, welcome to the forum.

Happy Sails,

Kevin
S/V Bladerunner
Surf NRG
Old 25-09-2008, 13:23   #17

Thanks for the detailed response and good advice. I'm not sure I'm ready to make the deal on a cat just yet, but I will keep you posted. Best of luck with the sale and the sail.

Gregg
Old 04-09-2009, 15:29   #18

is it sold?
Old 04-09-2009, 16:10   #19

Bladerunner Catamaran

I sold her back in early February 09 and the new owners sailed her all the way from Central Florida down to Grenada. Actually, they just hinted to me this week about possibly selling her in the near future cause their kids (15 and 13) are wanting to get back home to Australia. You know how teenagers get with missing friends. They've had a great trip but the home schooling thing isn't working out too well and the parents feel guilty for taking them out of school and away from their friends for so long. If interested, send me a private message and I'll fill you in further.
Old 05-09-2009, 21:42   #20
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Kevin --new boat?
Old 06-09-2009, 18:09   #21

Yeah, went three months without a boat after selling Bladerunner then decided to buy a small 27 Catalina monohull for now. Nice boat - but miss Bladerunner BIG TIME. She's down in Grenada. The new owners had to boogie on down that way to get out of the hurricane belt due to insurance reason and they pulled it off. Sure wish I had the $ to buy her back but gotta see what happens to this economy. Would be nice to sail her back this way - with the trade winds.
Old 26-09-2009, 11:31   #22

Boat: Wildcat 350 - 35' catamaran
Hi Kevin,

You are right that we have made the difficult decision to put "Blade Runner" up for sale and it will be really hard for everyone to finally leave our cruising home.

We have had a great time sailing her down to Grenada and are looking forward to heading north again after the hurricane season. We did toy with the idea of extending the one year sabatical from work but have decided that our teenage children should really get back to a proper school.

Thanks again for your kind words and support. (and for the great job you did in keeping Blade Runner in such good condition)

It has been fantastic to receive all of your emails and suggestions as we traveled between the islands and to follow some of your forum blogs.

If you know of anyone who might be interested in a "ready to cruise catamaran, they could look for "Blade Runner" on Boats.com where she is listed as a private sale.

or contact us through the cruisers forum.
Old 26-09-2009, 14:16   #23
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I will say that she's a Sweet boat in case anyone is interested

Tags
florida