Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 07:15   #1

Boat: Admiral 38 S/V Windigo
For Sale: Boat Number Plates

I've got five of the certificates (BOATNUMBERLPLATE.COM) for your dingy or boat for sale. The price is $25.00 DELIVERED. If your registered and have a some post on this site I will send them and wait for the money untill after you have redemed them (within reason). Check or money order ok.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:04   #2

Boat number plates

Thats $25.00 each for the plates
Old 29-07-2009, 05:50   #3

Reduced to $20.00 Each
Old 29-07-2009, 06:23   #4

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Umm.... Link does not work because of misspelling. here is link REGISTRATION NUMBERS FOR BOATS - Home
Old 29-07-2009, 13:03   #5

Boat: Beneteau 50
I'm interested. The marine patrol in Montauk says I need to register my dinghy. I thought that wasn't the case with a documented vessel, maybe it's a local law?

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
Old 29-07-2009, 13:11   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I thought that wasn't the case with a documented vessel, maybe it's a local law?
State law governs. Most require the dinghy to be registered just like any other boat asumming there are no states that don't have registration. Your dinghy is not documented under USCG documentation unless you have a very large dinghy. There is no two for one special.
Old 29-07-2009, 13:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
State law governs. Most require the dinghy to be registered just like any other boat asumming there are no states that don't have registration. Your dinghy is not documented under USCG documentation unless you have a very large dinghy. There is no two for one special.
I thought there was a provision for documented vessel as long as the tender was only used for going to shore and back.

Old 29-07-2009, 13:27   #8

A lot of people have thought that over the years. SUpposedly you have to put "tender to XXXXX" on the dink. It really makes no difference as the patrols will do what they want to do ......they know you dont want to spend time going to court even if you are right...
Old 29-07-2009, 13:29   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bene505 View Post
I'm interested. The marine patrol in Montauk says I need to register my dinghy. I thought that wasn't the case with a documented vessel, maybe it's a local law?
The Montauk marine patrol is awful, and woefully uninformed on both federal documentation requirements and NY state law.

Your vessel can be documented and as long as you do not stay in any state longer than the time prescribed by the state's law, you do not need to register the boat with that state. NY law is 90 days. The Montauk marine patrol does not know that and will not even accept it when it is presented to them directly from the NY state website. They just write a ticket and you have to personally show up in court on Long Island to defend yourself or pay the ticket. Calling the NY court system to point out that the ticket is unfounded does no good.

Your dinghy must be registered in some state regardless of your mothership being US documented (unless it fits the exclusion definition of the state, which is usually along the lines of smaller than 12' and no engine). The Montauk marine patrol does not recognize valid registration from any state other than NY. Really! We are registered in CT, which is 15 miles away from Montauk and have received a ticket. So have friends of ours. NY law states that valid registrations are legal in NY for up to a 90 day consecutive stay, after which you need a NY registration. Again, the Montauk marine patrol does not know that and will not even accept it when it is presented to them directly from the NY state website. Also again, you must show up personally in court to defend the law yourself, because the Long Island (read Hampton's) law enforcement and court systems are not actually interested in the law.

The Montauk marine patrol seemingly exists to drive non-Hampton (or Hampton-like) people away from ever spoiling their small world. The court system there also seems to have that purpose. Neither seem to have even the cursory knowledge of the law presented to the public on their own websites.

We have been boarded by the Montauk marine patrol every time we have gone to Montauk. So have friends. We visit for a couple of days, have a well-found sailboat, are quiet and spend money ashore - in other words, we aren't trouble makers or squatters. We have never had problems with marine patrols in 3-Mile harbor, Shelter Island, West Neck or Sag Harbor.

Mark
Old 29-07-2009, 13:37   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I thought there was a provision for documented vessel as long as the tender was only used for going to shore and back.
Works fine if you remove the motor. You can label it anything you like. Unpowered boats don't usually require a sticker, but you need life jackets and the assorted door state required door prizes. In all states I know of a powered boat is a powered boat. In the olden days tenders were not powered.

In modern times putting the main boat name on the dinghy says "our dinghy is here and we are not on the boat now"

The "tender to stuff" can apply internationally to some VHF radio ships licenses in some countries. Most countries outside the US require a station license for the VHF. It may be the source of the confusion.
Old 29-07-2009, 15:24   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
... In modern times putting the main boat name on the dinghy says "our dinghy is here and we are not on the boat now"...
As does the absence (from the mothership) of the dinghy.

Old 29-07-2009, 16:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The Montauk marine patrol is awful, and woefully uninformed on both federal documentation requirements and NY state law.

Your vessel can be documented and as long as you do not stay in any state longer than the time prescribed by the state's law, you do not need to register the boat with that state. NY law is 90 days. The Montauk marine patrol does not know that and will not even accept it when it is presented to them directly from the NY state website. They just write a ticket and you have to personally show up in court on Long Island to defend yourself or pay the ticket. Calling the NY court system to point out that the ticket is unfounded does no good.

Your dinghy must be registered in some state regardless of your mothership being US documented (unless it fits the exclusion definition of the state, which is usually along the lines of smaller than 12' and no engine). The Montauk marine patrol does not recognize valid registration from any state other than NY. Really! We are registered in CT, which is 15 miles away from Montauk and have received a ticket. So have friends of ours. NY law states that valid registrations are legal in NY for up to a 90 day consecutive stay, after which you need a NY registration. Again, the Montauk marine patrol does not know that and will not even accept it when it is presented to them directly from the NY state website. Also again, you must show up personally in court to defend the law yourself, because the Long Island (read Hampton's) law enforcement and court systems are not actually interested in the law.

The Montauk marine patrol seemingly exists to drive non-Hampton (or Hampton-like) people away from ever spoiling their small world. The court system there also seems to have that purpose. Neither seem to have even the cursory knowledge of the law presented to the public on their own websites.

We have been boarded by the Montauk marine patrol every time we have gone to Montauk. So have friends. We visit for a couple of days, have a well-found sailboat, are quiet and spend money ashore - in other words, we aren't trouble makers or squatters. We have never had problems with marine patrols in 3-Mile harbor, Shelter Island, West Neck or Sag Harbor.

Mark
I love the place and understand the mentality a bit. Here's more details, trying to stick to the facts.

There is a specific officer that hands out all the summons, IMHO. At least I was warned about him very early after arriving in Montauk. My first impression was pretty negative of him, but I'm warming to him a little, since he let me off with a verbal warning when he saw my unregistered dink, because 1) I asked him for a break since the dinghy was only 10 days old, and 2) he had just given me a summons for something else a couple weeks prior. Prior to that I thought it was a money-making operation/motivation.

The summons I got previously was for an under-12 person not wearing a lifejacket when we were 20 feet from the dock. He was reasonably sincere with a "now you won't forget". (And at the "registration" conversation the under-12 was wearing a life jacket.) I just wish he wasn't waiting at the pumpout dock. I want everyone to feel very free going there to help keep the lake pristine. Then I was standing next to him at the pump-out dock when he "puller over" a dinghy for making a wake. The dink was going maybe 5 miles per hour. With a short waterline, it was making a wake. I keep thinking about that becasue I have to dinghy past that same area to get to some of the restaurants. No sense going out to dinner when you know you'll get pulled over.

(By the way, a summons is worse than a ticket. Summons means you have to take a day off and travel to East Hampton, wait to talk to the DA, wait to talk to the judge, and then pay any fine. It take maybe 4 hours.)

Last year I explained to him the other-state registration and 90 day thing, and I think he got it. The fact that we travel all over New England helps us with the 90-day rule. I save my receipts for gas and moorings so I can prove innocence.

A older Hunter (30 to 35 feet) ended up on the shore in Lake Montauk last week. The owner, Bill, got hassled for trying to dig the boat out, due to disruption of the weeds along the shore. He vowed to stop digging until he had notified both owner of the property his boat straddled. (He had already notified one owner, who offered any help he could.) I help him - with my unregistered dink - by brinking a line to a towing boat. Bill had a crane lined up for the next day in case the cheaper solution didn't work.

With several agencies represented, there are more enforcement people patrolling there than boats anchored in the lake by maybe 4 to 1 ratio. So far it is keeping the lake pretty pristine.

Old 29-07-2009, 17:27   #13

I had wanted to delete the last line from that last email. (Guess I'm used to sailnet, where you can edit.) No worries.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
Reduced to $20.00 Each
Wildrice,

I just did the order for my new plates. Your offer was very timely.

I'll send you the $20 check tonight.

Regards