Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2009, 11:37   #1

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Fortress FX-11 and CQR 45 sale/trade

I REALLY like this Fortress but IMHO it's not big enough for a primary anchor for my boat so I want a Fortress 1 or 2 sizes bigger. I'll trade both of these for said anchor or sell them and buy said anchor. I'm in the Daytona area now and heading south.
Old 17-02-2009, 11:56   #2
Eternal Member

The FX-11 is probably OK in the proper bottoms (like most anywhere on the Chesapeake Bay), but an FX23 would be a bit too large but great!

The CQR 45lb is plenty big enough. I have one I've used in cruising for the past 20 years from Maine to Grenada. It's held my 28,000lb 42-footer thru everything I've asked of it outside the Chesapeake, where a Danforth or Fortress are King!

Don't be seduced by all the fantastic claims of the "new anchors". The Fortress and the CQR are proven designs which have worked for many cruisers for many years. And, as I noted, the 45lb CQR is more than big enough for your boat.

JMO,

Bill
Old 17-02-2009, 14:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
The FX-11 is probably OK in the proper bottoms (like most anywhere on the Chesapeake Bay), but an FX23 would be a bit too large but great!

The CQR 45lb is plenty big enough. I have one I've used in cruising for the past 20 years from Maine to Grenada. It's held my 28,000lb 42-footer thru everything I've asked of it outside the Chesapeake, where a Danforth or Fortress are King!

Don't be seduced by all the fantastic claims of the "new anchors". The Fortress and the CQR are proven designs which have worked for many cruisers for many years. And, as I noted, the 45lb CQR is more than big enough for your boat.

JMO,

Bill

Yes, I completely agree the CQR is big enough but I have no windlass and that CQR with my 30' of 3/8 chain is too much for me to handle. I'm by myself so often the time between breaking the anchor loose to getting it on deck is critical.
Old 17-02-2009, 14:46   #4
Eternal Member

I completely understand. Sail a lot singlehanded myself. Had a manual windlass for years (I have an all-chain rode, 200' of 3/8" HT), but it became too inefficient for my aging bones, so I broke down and fitted a good electric windlass. Love it. Wouldn't wanna sail without one now :-)

Had an FX-23 Fortress for years, too. Traded it in on an FX-37 a few years ago. When that sucker grabs, it feels like the boat is tied to a telephone pole! The 23 would be plenty big for your boat.

One caveat, though. It sounded like you were planning to have the Fortress as your primary anchor. That would be great in the Chesapeake, and in some other places, but there are a couple of drawbacks to this design: (1) in a reversing wind/current situation, providing that the anchor isn't well dug in and/or you don't have an all chain rode, they can break out and fail to reset; and (2) there are places where you really would want another type anchor for primary (e.g., Maine, Caribbean). I generally take the Fortress off my bow roller when I leave the Chesapeake and replace it with the CQR.

Bill
Old 17-02-2009, 15:24   #5

i agree... as I mentioned in a thread recently, a Fortress saved my boat once, I just tossed it over like a bag of trash and it dug in so tight it felt like it WAS tied to a pole!
Old 17-02-2009, 15:59   #6

I am considering getting a 16 or 23 as my primary and moving the 11 to the stern rail for that very reason. It seems though, if I have 2 anchors on board they should be different types.
Old 17-02-2009, 16:51   #7
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I carry three Fortress anchors. For sandy bottoms I don't believe there is a better solution.

But...talking anchors is a lot like talking religion on a sailing forum.
Old 17-02-2009, 17:13   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
I am considering getting a 16 or 23 as my primary and moving the 11 to the stern rail for that very reason. It seems though, if I have 2 anchors on board they should be different types.
That's an excellent idea. The FX 11--even with all line rode-- would be an awesome "emergency brake," not that any of us have ever needed one of those upcurrent of a closed bridge on an outgoing tide! Then the 23 on the bow would ensure that you slept well at night. Check out Craigslist down here (south Florida) & I'll keep my ears open. I actually have an FX 23, and a 35, and a stainless CQR 45 but I wouldn't be interested in getting rid of any of them. Can't have too many anchors--one on the stern, two on the bow and one or two extra for luck. I'm actually looking for a 60 Delta!
Old 18-02-2009, 11:19   #9

Boat: Corbin 39
Quote:
I REALLY like this Fortress but IMHO it's not big enough for a primary anchor for my boat so I want a Fortress 1 or 2 sizes bigger. I'll trade both of these for said anchor or sell them and buy said anchor. I'm in the Daytona area now and heading south.
Hello, I am interested in the cqr 45. How much are you asking and can you ship to NJ? Thanks, Bill
Old 19-02-2009, 10:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin39sailor View Post
Hello, I am interested in the cqr 45. How much are you asking and can you ship to NJ? Thanks, Bill
I'll take 150 for the anchor, thats seems the going rate. Shipping it could be a challenge. I'm cruising and have no car. I can't see me walking to the p.o. with it. If you want to arrange for it to be picked up at a marina, that would be fine. I don't really have access to packing materials either. You can pay with Paypal if you want.
Old 19-02-2009, 13:44   #11

Quote:
I'll take 150 for the anchor, thats seems the going rate. Shipping it could be a challenge. I'm cruising and have no car. I can't see me walking to the p.o. with it. If you want to arrange for it to be picked up at a marina, that would be fine. I don't really have access to packing materials either. You can pay with Paypal if you want.
Hello, That sounds agreeable. Where are you loacated? Bill
Old 19-02-2009, 14:44   #12

I'm in Titusville today. Will probably be in the Melbourne area tomorrow and so on to WPB.
Old 19-02-2009, 14:53   #13

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Fortress does not recommend an all-chain rode with their anchors - it reduces the setting ability in soft mud. Too much chain can sink into the mud with the anchor, keeping the shank's angle in line with the flukes, preventing them from angling down from the shank.

On our boat, our lunch hook is a Fortress Guardian G-55 on 18' of 5/16" chain and 180' of 3/4" nylon rode. Our primary is a Manson 80-pounder on 300' of 3/8" G4 chain. I'd have gone with 7/16" chain, but our barely adequately-sized Ideal windlass can't handle anything larger than a 3/8" wildcat. We're still learning the proper setting technique for the Manson - you'd think 80 pounds would set quickly, but we have a 55,000+ pound boat.

Anyone in the Miami area interested in our old 45 lb CQR and 180' of old 5/16 BBB chain?
Old 19-02-2009, 15:38   #14

Quote:
I'm in Titusville today. Will probably be in the Melbourne area tomorrow and so on to WPB.
I love that area. Have cruised through there a few times heading to the Bahamas. I do have friends in Melbourne but they are probably in the Bahmams now. Are you stopping at the Municipial marina in Titusville or Vero Beach? If so; if they are willing to hold it (both are very accomodating) I could issue a FedEx call tag to pick it up. All you would have to do is rough package it. Let me know what you think. Bill
Old 19-02-2009, 18:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin39sailor View Post
I love that area. Have cruised through there a few times heading to the Bahamas. I do have friends in Melbourne but they are probably in the Bahmams now. Are you stopping at the Municipial marina in Titusville or Vero Beach? If so; if they are willing to hold it (both are very accomodating) I could issue a FedEx call tag to pick it up. All you would have to do is rough package it. Let me know what you think. Bill
I'm at the muni marina in Titusville right now. I don't have anything to package it in and can't imagine where I'd find a box strong enough to put it in. It really needs a crate or at least strapped to a pallet.

Tags
cqr