Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2013, 13:51   #1
TJT

Four Winds Wind Generator

Looking to buy a Four Winds Wind Generator to replace an existing unit. The folks who made these units went out of business a few years ago.
Old 16-01-2014, 11:03   #2

Boat: 1995 Island Packet 37
Re: Four Winds Wind Generator

Are you still interested in a FourWinds Wind Generator? I have on for sale.

-Anita
Old 16-01-2014, 16:26   #3
TJT

Yes, I'm still looking for a four winds generator. Can you provide some information on the age, condition, location, price?

Thanks,

Tony
Old 17-01-2014, 14:16   #4

Boat: 1995 Island Packet 37

Tony,

The generator was purchased in Oct 2006 at a cost of about $1300 for the generator and about $350 for the controller. I can't recall the cost of the wiring. Not sure when it was first mounted and used. But, it has only been used about 3 months each year. (We are seasonal boaters). It was taken off the boat in Dec 2014.

The red paint on the generator is faded but other than that it is in excellent condition, including a new tail fin, new arms, and a new prop shaft. When I took it off I tested the output and it is working fine.

The controller is not working but only needs a new control unit (Flexcharge part # NC25A-12) that you can buy from any West Marine store or online for around $120-$150.

Included are: the generator, the controller, a slip ring cleaning tool, a spare prop shaft, and the slip ring connector with 13 ft of 6 AWG wire.

The old mounting hardware was in such bad shape (or was destroyed taking it off) that I threw it away but it was all standard size PVC pipe so cutting some new mounting rings would not be a hard or expensive proposition.

This generator does not have the centrifugal brake so should NOT be run in any wind exceeding 35 knots.

It is located in Punta Gorda, Florida and the price is $400 firm, (Shipping fees/cost not included). I would prefer it to be picked up if possible as shipping would be inconvenient and expensive as the blades (2) are 5 ft long and if you take them apart you have to re-balance them when you put it all back together.

Let me know if you have any more questions and if you are interested.

Thanks,
-Anita
Alockamy@aol.com (direct email)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FourWinds Wind Generator.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	74163