Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2012, 23:01   #1

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Furuno 1720 Display Unit

The display portion of my trusty Furuno 1720 radar has died beyond reasonable repair, but the scanner (expensive) part is still ok.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of a replacement? I'd be grateful to find one. Maybe from a dismasting -- that happened to me 16 years ago and I gave away the display part! Seems foolish now...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 18-04-2012, 01:02   #2

Boat: Seawind1160
Re: Furuno 1720 Display Unit

Got one of those I bought at a swap meet a while back. It doesnt seem to work- display sweeps around but no echoes. I suspect the scan head magnetron? but so far haven't verified the fault. Perhaps between the two of us we should be able to get at least one of them going?! I'd actually like to get mine going as I have the manual with circuit diagrams and the old simplicity appeals to me. With two units for comparison tracking down fault is usually much easier.

I'm in Ocean Grove - are u at Twofold? I could get up there as I am planning to visit friends at Mallacoota soon.
Old 19-04-2012, 18:13   #3

We should have one of those displays I could sell for $175 plus shipping. If interested, please contact MaxMarineElectronics@gmail.com

Thank you
Old 19-04-2012, 23:10   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by otya View Post
Got one of those I bought at a swap meet a while back. It doesnt seem to work- display sweeps around but no echoes. I suspect the scan head magnetron? but so far haven't verified the fault. Perhaps between the two of us we should be able to get at least one of them going?! I'd actually like to get mine going as I have the manual with circuit diagrams and the old simplicity appeals to me. With two units for comparison tracking down fault is usually much easier.

I'm in Ocean Grove - are u at Twofold? I could get up there as I am planning to visit friends at Mallacoota soon.
G'Day OTYA,

Sounds possibly interesting, but I don't know where Ocean Grove is! We are in Twofold for now, but will be heading on north in a few days... whenever the wx looks a bit better. Been pretty dismal for the past few days since our arrival from Hobart.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
furuno