Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2013, 08:22   #31

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio
Re: Garmin AIS 600 transponder

My point was that i had heard that the reset is done at the factory, on the standard provisioning interface, by using an undocumented feature of the same program that comes with the unit. It is said that there is no special hardware or software involved, just some feature of the standard Garmin programming CD that comes with many units. I dont know what the steps are, but i am sure someone on this forum can advise what the process is.
Old 13-09-2013, 16:28   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsailwill View Post
MMSI number is issued to an individual, not a boat, by the FCC. This number can be programmed by you only ONE time, to an AIS unit that has never been programmed before. After it has been programmed ONCE, it can ONLY be reprogrammed again by the factory. No exceptions, No tricks.
Your MMSI number is issued to you, and is used by you alone on any other equipment where your MMSI number is needed. It is your responsibility to remove this number from your equipment when you sell it, give it away, or whatever else you do with it. Once again, this number is nontransferable to another individual or boat. However you come about getting an AIS unit, if it is already programmed with an MMSI number, then the only way you will be able to FULLY use the unit is by having the factory reprogram it for you with your FCC MMSI number.
You can change all the other info on the AIS without assistance, just not the MMSI number.
While that might be true of the " fake" mmsi handed out by boat us. It isn't true of MMSIs in general , which ARE seven to the ship and not the person.

Note the one time mmsi on AIS is solely a US requirement. Elsewhere the user can reprogram them.

Dave
Old 13-09-2013, 18:40   #33

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Not sure if the Garmin AIS600 uses the SRT chipset or not.

If it is using SRT, then you can probably use these commands on the NMEA0183 interface:

Yacht Electronics: SRT proprietary AIS commands
Old 13-09-2013, 21:14   #34

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
While that might be true of the " fake" mmsi handed out by boat us. It isn't true of MMSIs in general , which ARE seven to the ship and not the person.

Note the one time mmsi on AIS is solely a US requirement. Elsewhere the user can reprogram them.

Dave
Sorry Dave, but you are wrong. I purchased a used Garmin 600 that had been programmed by the original owner using his FCC issued MMSI number. The procedure I described in my previous post is the one that I was required to go through in order to have the unit programmed with my MMSI number. This is first hand knowledge, not based on hearsay that I heard somewhere. My MMSI number, issued to me (not my boat) by the FCC, is the real deal, not a "fake one" from Boat US. I don't know where you got your info, but it's absolutely incorrect.
Old 13-09-2013, 21:39   #35

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsailwill View Post
Sorry Dave, but you are wrong. I purchased a used Garmin 600 that had been programmed by the original owner using his FCC issued MMSI number. The procedure I described in my previous post is the one that I was required to go through in order to have the unit programmed with my MMSI number. This is first hand knowledge, not based on hearsay that I heard somewhere. My MMSI number, issued to me (not my boat) by the FCC, is the real deal, not a "fake one" from Boat US. I don't know where you got your info, but it's absolutely incorrect.
Which part of his post is incorrect?
Old 13-09-2013, 21:40   #36

Boat: PETERSON 44
Maybe it gets confusing . I hold a FCC radio certificate with a FCC issued mmsi number. It clearly is bound to the ship. The certificate has the official ships number and ship name. It is the mmsi number I use on my vhf and ssb. I am listed as the licensee. So its my mmsi number to use while conducting business on this particular vessel.
How ever My epirb registration which goes through NOAA/Sarsat is in my name not the ships name. Your both right almost.

Tags
ais, garmin