Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2013, 17:38   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Gen Set

Hi folks...selling this for a friend...
"Power Genny" 2.2 KW Onan alternator powered by a Yanmar TS 50C 5HP engine. It wasfunctioning when removed from the boat and has been in his garage for years. The engine runs
fine but whoever buys it needs to be a "hands on guy" as it will require some tune up etc when installed in a new boat. For example, I know the water pump">raw water pump leaks and will need
a new seal set. Also, the galvanized elbow that feeds in to the wet exhaust elbow is rusted apart and
needs replacing.
He has it priced at $500 accordingly, which is a great deal given what new gensets sell for.
All manuals, wet exhaust lift muffler and bits & pieces that came off when removed are included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	genset 3.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	63032   Click image for larger version

Name:	genset 4.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	63033  

Name:	genset parts.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	63034   Click image for larger version

Name:	genset back.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	63035  

Name:	Genset front.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	63036  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 25-06-2013, 22:12   #2

Re: Gen set

Thought I would refresh
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 09-07-2013, 16:17   #3

Anyone?
Old 09-07-2013, 16:30   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Anyone?

Will you bring it to the Boston area and garantee that it will work after somre reasonable work?
Old 09-07-2013, 16:45   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Gen Set

I'm sorry to say that I think he will be mostly giving that genset away. I couldn't sell a 6kW genset for that price, and it was in better shape than that one looks.

By the time and money put into getting it installed and running (it's going to need $100 rebuilt injector, $200 new elbow, $50 rebuilt water pump, $30 filters, $30 belts and a prayer that the voltage regulator works) most people would just opt for a new lighter, smaller Honda.

I do hope he sells it, though - I was just pointing out that it will be difficult.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 09-07-2013, 18:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I'm sorry to say that I think he will be mostly giving that genset away. I couldn't sell a 6kW genset for that price, and it was in better shape than that one looks.

By the time and money put into getting it installed and running (it's going to need $100 rebuilt injector, $200 new elbow, $50 rebuilt water pump, $30 filters, $30 belts and a prayer that the voltage regulator works) most people would just opt for a new lighter, smaller Honda.

I do hope he sells it, though - I was just pointing out that it will be difficult.

Mark
Well thank you Mark. My friend really appreciates that.

That's right folks...Don't buy this crappy Gen set...you'll be sorry you did. It needs everything Mark stated...and probably more.

I will add you to my favorites, Mark, so I can return the favor when you try to sell something...
Old 09-07-2013, 18:59   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Settle down Beavis. Don't you think that was a bit over the top?

Like I said, I hope he sells it. However, I also related that I had no luck selling a larger genset in possibly better condition.

You keep bumping this, so obviously the market for it is not huge and beating a path to its door.

The parts I listed were mostly the ones you said it needed - I simply put price estimates on it, along with additional small amounts that from experience I know anyone installing a genset will want to do (new belts and filters, for example).

So do you disagree that by the time one pays $500 for the genset, fixes only the things you say are necessary and installs it, that the price will be favorable to buying a new 2kW Honda?

Don made a generous offer that I suggest your friend consider.

BTW, this site has a "favorites" section? I didn't know that.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 09-07-2013, 23:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

BTW, this site has a "favorites" section? I didn't know that.

Mark
...and ignore.