Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 14:39   #1

Boat: Stevens 47
Genuine 55 lb Spade Anchor

We have a genuine Spade anchor, 55 lb., very, very lightly used, the paint is still fully on the tip of the anchor, a nice bright yellow.

$400 firm.

We are located in Wilmington, North Carolina at Cape Fear Marina, Bennett Bros Yachts.

You can answer here on the forum or e-mail me at:

gunkylump at Hotmail.com

Thanks!

gunk
Old 06-07-2015, 06:16   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Genuine 55 lb Spade Anchor

Good god, what a great price (a brand new 55lb Delta costs more). If we weren't fully-anchored up, I would grab that.

Doubt you will have it for sale long…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:37   #3

Thanks Mark!

The anchor is not doing anyone any good sitting here on the boat in storage....with my big Rocna up front, and the FX-37 sitting at the ready in her Mantus anchor hangar.....the Spade just isn't needed by us.

We are selling it this cheap so that it will be put to use, and, <grin> it will give us just that much more storage on the boat when it is gone....and the dang thing is heavy!

gunk
Old 06-07-2015, 10:01   #4
cruiser

Curious, why would you trade a Spade out for a Rocna? The Spade is the better of the two.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:23   #5

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Curious, why would you trade a Spade out for a Rocna? The Spade is the better of the two.
My guess is their Rocna is a larger/heavier model. My boat has similar specs to the op's Stevens and I use a 60 lb. Manson Supreme for my primary these days. Both the Manson 60 and the Spade 55 do & would work well for me, but are both a bit on the light side, according to the sizing charts anyway. But then if I go much heavier it might be too mich for my windlass (at least according to the Ideal guys). Hmmm . . . a Spade 66 would be about perfect . . . but a new one is a lot more than $400!

Hmmmm . . . tempting. The Spade breaks down nicely for stowage too.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Good question!

I know nothing about anchors....guns on boats...Hunters, Beneteau's or Catalina's.....be the first one to admit the above, or heaven forbid...why they have sails on monohulls.<grin> But...

The 33kg Rocna was on the boat, up on the bow already...the Spade stowed under the v-berth.....so after being told by the previous owner that the Rocna anchor held throughout all he could put it through....I hauled the Spade out to have a look....as a secondary anchor, stowed anywhere, it's heavy to haul out/up/over...whatever. I wanted a lighter secondary anchor, and was satisfied that the Rocna would do the trick up front. So, I opted for an FX-37 as our secondary. I fully understand the value of the Spade, it's worth a lot more than $400, but I don't want it, so, pass it on to someone who will use it. I understand from reading different articles they are awesome anchors...but so are the new generation anchors....at least according to the articles I've seen.

So, I guess to answer your question...no defined reason other than what was already on the bow, and the ability of the lighter FX to either hang on the rail stanchion in the bright, shiny Mantus anchor hanger, freeing up storage and having the secondary anchor right on deck, ready to go when needed...and I truly hope I never need it.

Hope I answered your question ok....

gunk
Old 08-07-2015, 10:39   #7

Sold!

gunk
Old 09-07-2015, 13:01   #8

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
.....so after being told by the previous owner that the Rocna anchor held throughout all he could put it through....
That's exactly my experience after six years with a Rocna. It has always set, and never dragged (that I could tell). One time we happened to be on the shore when a storm hit, turned the boat 180 degrees, and the anchor either stayed set or reset within a couple of feet. It's a weak feeling when you are watching helplessly from the beach, see your boat do an about face, and pray the anchor stays in bottom known to be weak holding.

That said, I have a friend that really likes his Spade.

Tags
anchor