Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2015, 23:22   #1

Boat: Leopard L46 Catamaran
High Output Watermaker

I am looking for a watermaker for our L46 Catamaran. It needs to be AC and put out at least 40gph.

Please pm if you hear of anything for sale.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2015, 23:47   #2
cruiser

Re: High Output Watermaker

Cruise RO watermakers has them. Rich is a regular contributor to the forum, give him a call and watch one of his videos on youtube. Or check out his company website.

Here's the link: http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com...r_Maker_2.html
Old 06-06-2015, 23:49   #3

Boat: Leopard L46 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Cruise RO watermakers has them. Rich is a regular contributor to the forum, give him a call and watch one of his videos on youtube.
Thanks Kenomac, I have heard good things about his watermakers. I plan to give him a call but wanted to see if there is anyone selling a used one to save some $$
Old 07-06-2015, 00:00   #4
cruiser

The only brand I'd recommend buying used is Spectra, because you can send in the Clark pump for a factory rebuild for short money, then essentially have a new watermaker. But Spectra doesn't offer what you want. For the price Rich offers his 40gph unit, I'd go new. I purchased a used Spectra off the forum for $1600 plus $150 shipping, but by the time I was finished rebuilding and replacing worn and corroded parts, I was into the thing for $3,500. But I knew what I was getting into having done it before. Now I essentially have a brand new $7,500 unit for $3,500. Whatever you buy used is going to need new pumps, a membrane, all new hoses, meters etc., anything that was in contact with salt water isn't going to be any good, or the seals will be all dried up.

A used high output unit can end up costing you more than a new unit after replacing the worn parts and pumps.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:25   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I agree, used watermakers are a mine field. Good deals are hard to find but can be had if you are either very knowledgeable or you have someone in your corner that is. Though Spectra does make AC/DC driven watermakers in the 40 gallon per hour range, going it alone with any used watermaker can cost you enough that buying new many times makes more sense. Most new Leopards come out of S. Africa with a Spectra either already installed or have them installed on delivery. I've been at this for a long time and my best advice with the little information provided is to first talk to a few watermaker people to see what they offer. In the watermaker business service is essential.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Old 07-06-2015, 17:54   #6

Boat: Hudson Force 50

Rich Boren is the man! I have RO Watermaker of his. 20 gallons an hour and works great. Excellent customer service. Easy to install. Technical manuals for all the compenents. The price was excellent. There is no better deal.

-the Witchdoctor
Old 07-06-2015, 18:22   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

How much is short money? The seal kit is $490.

Tags
water, watermaker