Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 11:09   #16

Boat: Nordhavn 40 Trawler Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Aft-Cabin Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
If I may ask a question, what would be the average cost to maintain a boat like this, say, ten years? Including dry docking her for paint, maintenance, plus slip fees for ten years? I ask because a boat of this size is impressive.

After I give you $200,000 for price, taxes, fees etc, what is the next ten years going to cost?
To answer all of that is entirely dependent upon such things as where you live and how you use your boat. Slip fees range from zero (I dock mine in the canal behind my house) to $175 - $450 per month, depending upon location. A slip in Alabama will run less than one in San Diego or the British Virgin Islands.

Location and use will also determine how often she has to be hauled. In Florida you can go a couple of years between painting the bottom. Of course, I have my boats cleaned by divers every month at a cost of $65. That ensures the prop is free of barnacles and growth, too. Some folks opt to do that themselves to save money. Boats kept in northern latitudes may have less bottom growth but then ice is a factor.

Insurance is another consideration. It's not required, and many owners forego it due to the expense. It is also highly dependent upon where the boat is lying: If you're in the tropics during hurricane season, it will be cost a lot more that if it's in New England. For a boat like the B40, figure between $3,500 and $6,500 per year for full coverage with the higher cost including several months spent in Florida during the hurricane season.

General maintenance is something that all boat owners 'enjoy' as part of being sailors. Most of us are pretty handy and enjoy fixing the odd items that go wrong, and that helps ensure that you don't find yourself stranded when island hopping in the Bahamas. On the other hand, if you're not able to perform routine repairs and engine maintenance, then you will have to factor in the cost of a boat mechanic lending assistance periodically. Trust me, no matter the boat, things will always be wearing out, shorting out, or just plane breaking.

I'm not sure how you figured that you'd pay me $200,000, though if that's an offer I'll take it. I'm actually looking to sell for something close to $169,000. I don't know where you live, but some states have no sales or use tax on used boats, whereas if you are a Florida resident (or intend to keep the boat in Florida) you are subject to a 6% sales and use tax which amounts to about $10,000.

Perhaps some others out there can do a better job than I have in answering your question?
Old 05-12-2011, 13:12   #17

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

GaryMayo-A decent rule of thumb I have always used is that the annual cost of owning a boat is going to be somewhere between 10 and 15% of its cost. This obviously is going to vary based on the factors the OP mentioned in his post. But, I have generally found that range to be reasonably accurate. It at least gets you in the ballpark in determining if a boat is affordable on an ongoing basis for you.

BTW-that is a beautiful boat! I have visited the Hinckley yard several times in years past and they have always built beautiful, well-found boats.
Old 05-12-2011, 13:50   #18

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch

My question was only for education reasons, a boat of that length would not fit on my lake. I think 32' is the largest boat at my marina. I just purchased a 30 foot boat, and that should keep me in boat Nirvana for some time.

As has been said, very ice boat!
Old 13-04-2012, 06:39   #19

Kim, I am the person who originaly restored this boat. It appears you have kept her well. Great experience to see her again!! Priapus
Old 13-04-2012, 06:43   #20

Boat: Hinckley 56' Ketch

Hello, Kim.....just wanted to tell you that my husband and I are the owners that did the complete upfit in 1987 through the Hinckley yard in Southwest Harbor. I see that the ultrasuede cushions are still lookin' good and that you have done some upfitting, yourself. The last we heard the boat was in Harve de Grace, Md. - did you buy it there or did you move it to Fla.? It's nice to see that somebody else loved it as much as we did. We went on to own the Hinckley 56 custom ketch from 1992 until 2010 and enjoyed sailing it to Maine each summer as well as Europe and the Caribbean. If the B40 has sold, would you mind telling us where it has gone - we love to keep up with our babies! Thanks! See that my husband got to you first!
Old 25-06-2012, 11:15   #21

I had the honor of sailing this boat from Georgetown to Charleston one gorgeous winter night. Truly the prettiest boat I've ever seen. Is the boat still for sale?
Old 25-06-2012, 11:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyceftalbot View Post
Hello, Kim.....just wanted to tell you that my husband and I are the owners that did the complete upfit in 1987 through the Hinckley yard in Southwest Harbor. I see that the ultrasuede cushions are still lookin' good and that you have done some upfitting, yourself. The last we heard the boat was in Harve de Grace, Md. - did you buy it there or did you move it to Fla.? It's nice to see that somebody else loved it as much as we did. We went on to own the Hinckley 56 custom ketch from 1992 until 2010 and enjoyed sailing it to Maine each summer as well as Europe and the Caribbean. If the B40 has sold, would you mind telling us where it has gone - we love to keep up with our babies! Thanks! See that my husband got to you first!
Hi guys! So sorry to be late in responding but I've been overseas for a while and have only recently returned.

First, heartfelt thanks for having done such a commendable job in retrofitting 'Pathfinder' at the Hinckley yard. Not only the cushions but everything about this wonderful boat is in great shape. My upgrades have been mostly to the sails, electronics, and nav systems, that and a generous maintenance schedule by Hinckley.

I picked her up in Mystic, Connecticut and she now lies in Vero Beach behind our home there. It pains me to sell her, as she is the boat of my dreams since I was 15 and sailing in the Chesapeake Bay. Alas, I've got a surfeit of boats and the family is happy moving from a sailboat to a trawler (ice makers, a/c, and the like, you know - go figure).

Up until recently she was under brokerage, but I've now taken her back home. 'Pathfinder's' price has been significantly reduced to $138,500 to encourage a quick sale. Hopefully we will find a new owner who will love her as much as you and I did.

Thanks so much for writing!
Old 25-06-2012, 12:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by priapus View Post
Kim, I am the person who originaly restored this boat. It appears you have kept her well. Great experience to see her again!! Priapus
Sorry to you, too, Priapus, for the tardy reply. It's funny, but Pathfinder continues to be referred to as Priapus by folks at the Hinckley yard - due no doubt to your great restoration coupled with the rather unique name.

Funny thing, but while in Vero I wanted to upgrade the alternator and called in a local boat mechanic whom I had never met and knew little about, other than he was a quality chap. As he rounded the corner and first saw 'Pathfinder' he exclaimed, "that's 'Priapus'! I helped restore that boat when I was employed by Hinckley in Southwest Harbor". I didn't even know he had experience with Hinckley's, let alone my boat.

As it turned out, he remembered everything about our Bermuda 40 and became a valuable resource to me when I was too far from Hinckley South. Small world, eh?

Thanks for the post - and the remarkable boat.
Old 25-06-2012, 12:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippmartin View Post
I had the honor of sailing this boat from Georgetown to Charleston one gorgeous winter night. Truly the prettiest boat I've ever seen. Is the boat still for sale?
As I said in my previous post, it truly is a small world.

There's nothing like sailing 'Pathfinder' at night. I, too, have many fond memories of night passages. She's still the prettiest boat in any harbor she visits, and yes, she's also back on the market ... reduced for a quick sale at $138,500.
Old 25-06-2012, 14:12   #25

Boat: Hinckley 56' Ketch

I haven't thought about Tripp Martin in a long time. Do you remember the name of the mechanic that worked on the boat in Vero. It really is a small world especially when it relates to sailors.....have a great summer!

Joy
Old 21-03-2013, 23:05   #26

Hi guys:

Well, we've just returned from another wonderful trip onboard Pathfinder. Unfortunately, we're still sitting with two boats, so she's going back on the market on June 1 following a complete rejuvenation of her teak that starts next month.

If you have an interest in doing the brightwork yourself, Pathfinder is being offered at $127,500. After June 1st her price will go up to cover costs. If you're interested in seeing her, she's lying in Vero Beach now and I'll sail her down to Ft. Lauderdale for the varnishing.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:50   #27

Boat: Seawind 1000

PM'd you.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:21   #28

That is certainly one beautiful boat.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:20   #29

Iam very interested. Call me at 404 354 4376. Charlie. Don't know how to "pm"
Old 05-04-2013, 09:26   #30

Sweet boats, sailed with a couple that had one. One of the few boats around with PROPER wide side decks!

Tags
Bermuda