Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2014, 09:13   #46

Boat: PETERSON 44
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Aft-Cabin Yawl

My peterson has a bidet plumbed to the sink faucet. Should I rethink this or market it differently. I guess you could invert the bidet and it could be used to shower. Should I seperate the bidet/ shower head and plumb in new fixtures so it's stand alone? Is there a upside to doing this?
Hinckley has nice lines.. Peterson is better but we can't retract a centerboard. We have a down below but it's only dark at night with the lights out. Thanks for the pointers on selling a boat in this modern day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26-04-2014, 13:43   #47

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Aft-Cabin Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Petersen View Post
Jtsailjt:

I've found that it's futile to engage with internet warriors such as yourself who are intent on proving themselves right despite their lack of facts or experience with the subject at hand.

As an example, your claim that the shower is simply "a handset (connected) to the sink spigot" is simply untrue - though accuracy doesn't seem to be a priority for you. Indeed, I find it bizarre that you choose to challenge my statements despite never having seen the boat.

This is a custom yacht (as many Hinckleys are), built to special design requirements of the previous owner who prepared the boat for a four-person, multi-month cruise through the Caribbean. Hinckley plumbed separate hot and cold water lines to a beautiful teak bulkhead-mounted Moen shower-head during a major deck-off refit at Southwest Harbor. It is both aesthetically pleasing and quite efficient, and you are the first to find issue with it. (Of course you've never been on my boat, but lack of first-hand knowledge rarely impedes folks like you.)

All that said, I have no interest in turning this into an internet battle; clearly you have an agenda – facts be damned – so have at it. I'll just cross your name off my list of potential buyers and move on ...
So I went from "timid" to "Internet warrior" to "folks like me" all in one post! Any other namecalling coming my way?
My only "agenda" is to leave the advertising hyperbole aside and discuss the boat honestly, both its attributes and its limitations, but you clearly want to avoid that and are determined to keep this thread as close to the script used in Hinckley marketing as possible.

I really don't understand what's such a big deal to you about me suggesting that the B-40 doesn't exactly have a "luxurious shower" when there is not one shown in your layout or in your photo's that you posted, and no B-40 that I've ever seen was made with one, nor is there room for one. Instead they, as with most boats of their vintage, had either no shower, or just a deck shower, or a handset that could be used in the head but got everything from any exposed plumbing, to varnished and painted surfaces, to the floor all wet and required wiping the whole thing down after each use. Of course that doesn't mean it's a "bad" boat but an actual shower that didn't drench everything in the head, and the water end up getting tracked all over the boat is something more and more cruisers expect today and that didn't used to be the case. Some people might still not mind making do with their "shower" sharing space with everything else in their head, particularly when their head was finished largely with varnished wood, but for long term cruisers, I think most would find it to be an inconvenience. But it's certainly very far from the most important thing about a boat. Not sure why you seem to think it's such a big deal to acknowledge that?

Are you seriously the one accusing me of "facts be damned" when you were the one suggesting that a B-40, with it's shallow draft, low aspect rig, and wide sheeting angles, is great at going to weather?! I'm not saying it's a bad sailing boat off the wind, but going to weather is NOT one of its strongest points, unless of course you fire up the iron genny.

I also had a lot of very good things to say about the B-40 and I definitely admire the results of the money and work and equipment you've obviously lavished on your boat, but you seem to have completely missed all those good things. Lest you think I have issues with Hinckley's in general, from where I sit right now I can see a beautiful photo of my old Hinckley Pilot 35 under sail hung on my family room wall. I gained many fond sailing memories and learned a lot and loved that boat and it was great fun to sail and despite its tender nature under sail, was more seaworthy than many might think. But even when I owned it, I could see the things it both was and was not, and discuss them openly. But I guess you don't want to go there.

Tags
Bermuda