Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 07:50   #76

Re: Hookah Diving Rig

Was looking at a little cheapie oil less compressor today in the local hardware after reading this post. It does not have a tank 230 volt 1000 watt and produces 160 liters per minute. Could you make a hooka for bottom cleaning with this rig??
Old 10-02-2014, 08:03   #77
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I have no doubt one could put together a unit similar to the Hookamax for less than what Hookamax charges (same for any other business). But my time is worth something and quite frankly I could do lots of things I pay others to do because I can always make more money but I can never make more time.
Completely understood. And a gas hookah is more complex and expensive to assemble on your own than an electric one is.

Quote:
So could you suggest a system for me to look into when my current one bites the dust.
I am a big fan of Air Line by J Sink:

Air Line Diving System | The Air Line by J. Sink

Quote:
Also interested in your take on electric verses gas. I got gas because the motor is 5hp and provides air for two (or possibly three have not tried that) divers at 30 feet with no problem (maybe deeper but I can not confirm that).
I have never used a gas-powered hookah, so am unqualified to give an opinion. But I do know from experience that electric hookahs are nearly maintenance-free, have a smaller footprint and no fuel and exhaust issues to be concerned about.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:04   #78
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Was looking at a little cheapie oil less compressor today in the local hardware after reading this post. It does not have a tank 230 volt 1000 watt and produces 160 liters per minute. Could you make a hooka for bottom cleaning with this rig??
1000 watts seems small. What is the horsepower rating? Can you post a link?

BTW- for hull cleaning, a resevoir tank is pretty much uneccessary.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:06   #79

I was looking for one myself and can't find anything. We are in Turkey, the model is called a MacAllister.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:19   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

As long as you can get a min. of 1 cu ft of air per min. at above 100 PSI, anything that is oilless should be fine.
The intermediate pressure for almost all primary SCUBA regulators is 150 PSI +,-. In other words the second stage regulator ( the one in your mouth) is designed to operate on 150 PSI. I'm sure it would work at 50 PSI, but the flow rate it could deliver would be less. In other words if you get to working hard, it would be easy to out breathe your regulator, which at 10 ft isn't unsafe, but may be annoying
Old 10-02-2014, 08:22   #81
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I was looking for one myself and can't find anything. We are in Turkey, the model is called a MacAllister.
A Google search does not produce any results for that compressor. My suggestion is that you have a look at some hookah retailer's web sites and see if you can determine what air delivery rates would work. My guess is that 60 liters per minute at 100 p.s.i. would be a target.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:24   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

160 liters per min is over 5 cu ft, which is plenty, but what's missing is 160L per min at what pressure?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:27   #83
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In other words the second stage regulator ( the one in your mouth) is designed to operate on 150 PSI. I'm sure it would work at 50 PSI, but the flow rate it could deliver would be less.
50 p.s.i. is too little to breath comfortably, IMHO. Especially while working (like when performing hull cleaning activities.) Further, many off-the-shelf 2nd stage SCUBA regs do not work well at the lower pressures delivered by hookah rigs. I recommend buying a 2nd stage modified to be used with hookah.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:28   #84

Thanks for the feedback fellows, I'll try and do a little more homework and I'll check back in. (that's code for I'll go back to the store and read the manual)
Old 10-02-2014, 18:22   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
1000 watts seems small. What is the horsepower rating?
1hp = 746 watts
Old 10-02-2014, 18:41   #86
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, that should do it then.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:34   #87

Fsstbttms....I'm looking at buying 50 feet of hose plus a regulator and whatever fittings I need to rig up that little compressor for bottom cleaning. It has the standard pop off air connection that is used for air tools.
What all do I need to buy, whats the best place to get it and about what should I pay?? This is for real shallow work, nothing below 6 feet. I am a certified diver but have zero experience with hookas. Thanks, Robert
Old 12-02-2014, 06:57   #88

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Look at the specs on this compressor. matched with a LiFePo4 battery and you have a great Hookah.

ARB Twin High Performance 12 Volt Portable Air Compressor (CKMTP12)

http://store.arbusa.com/Assets/PDF/c...ifications.pdf

Regards
Old 12-02-2014, 07:09   #89
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Fsstbttms....I'm looking at buying 50 feet of hose plus a regulator and whatever fittings I need to rig up that little compressor for bottom cleaning. It has the standard pop off air connection that is used for air tools.
What all do I need to buy, whats the best place to get it and about what should I pay?? This is for real shallow work, nothing below 6 feet. I am a certified diver but have zero experience with hookas. Thanks, Robert
Probably the easiest thing to do would be to go to Air Line or Brownies (or even Hookamax, for that matter) and simply order a length of air hose and a 2nd stage reg. That way you know the hose will be the right stuff, it will have an in-line filter already in place, the regulator will work with a hookah and all the fittings to join the parts of the hose assembly are included.
Old 12-02-2014, 15:09   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
I'm not looking to challenge your statement or say that you are not correct, but I am interested in knowing the reason(s) why a plain old air hose from Sears would not be a good idea. Can you list the potential hazards?

This is just an academic question.

Thanks,
Jim
Hose not properly certified can have plasticisers and other semi-volatile organic compounds as well as stearates and other processing chemicals. These can wind up in your lungs and under pressure, in your body. Why take chances for 50 cents? Get the proper hose and regulators.

Someone up the thread asked where to get quick disconnects. You can get them from Brownie - or - McMaster Carr; or Harbor Freight; or automotive or paint specialty store for air compressors. Please be aware these are not certified for what you plan to do with them. They will be oil or grease packed. Unless you get SS the fittings will probably be yellow brass which is a very poor performer in salt water. (too much zinc - they become porous.) The ball bearings in the release may be steel.

Considering the pitfalls and our need to dive deeper, we have the Brownine with three hoses and regulators. I am tempted to add a SS tank as an in-line floater and an unloader valve, but I'll wait to see how it works. My wife and I are both PADI certified. I recommend it if you plan to do more than scrub the boat bottom.

Our 390X will let us dive deep enough to get in trouble so we also added in 13 cubic foot standard SCUBA tanks with regulators for emergency egress. The idea of being down when the compressor stops gives me the heebee-geebees. The Brownine also comes with a belt/harness to manage the down-hose so its not pulling on your regulator. They do sell these and all of the components separately.

Tags
diving