Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 15:20   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Hookah Outfit & Tank

osiris, good luck with the medical issues. You know what they say, if you wake up one morning and nothing hurts, it means you died in your sleep. :-)

SCUBA tanks can be shipped by UPS. I've done that. Let the pressure out, doesn't matter if the valve is in or out as long as they are empty. Then you can either wrap the tank in some corrugated cardboard (bought in a roll or cut from a large box) and cap the ends, or buy a "sonotube" a cardboard cement footing tube, from a hardware store. Cut off 3-4 feet of it and you've got a shipping cylinder. Yes, UPS also takes those without complaint.

Either one not a project you'd want to tackle right now, I'm sure, but if you've got a local UPS store or other shipping store--they can do that, for a surcharge.

There are also some "wounded warrior" groups, legitimate charitables that teach SCUBA to disabled vets, who often have outreaches to local SCUBA shops. I'm sure they'd love a donation of tanks, and that might be a good purpose for them, requiring no packing on your part. Heck, they might be able to discuss light SCUBA as therapy for you, to build up your muscles while not loading the vertebrae.
Old 02-12-2012, 23:16   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Thank you, hellosailor - I hadn't thought of that. And the therapy part of using my equipment is also a great idea.

I have become addicted to using the full face mask. It is another whole world not getting your face and eyes in water/sea water as you do with a standard mask. Especially when cleaning a boat bottom the living critters and goop and crud that is scraped off used to coat my face and head. With the full face mask, wet suit and hood I get nothing touching, crawling over my face and all I have to do is hose down my wet suit and hood to clean the critters off after the bottom is done.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:07   #18
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I have become addicted to using the full face mask. It is another whole world not getting your face and eyes in water/sea water as you do with a standard mask.
It's the only way to go, IMHO.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:35   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I can appreciate the fullface mask.When we were first certified, the checkout dive was in a winter pond and the trick was 1-Locate mouth with one hand 2-Open mouth with one hand 3-reinsert regulator with other hand 4-close lips on regulator with first hand 5-resume breathing. (The lips didn't work without manual assistance.)

But the first time I wore a dry suit, reminded me of the first time I used an outhouse. I kept thinking, I'm forgetting something...oh yeah, you don't flush these things.<G> There's something very convenient but very, ah, out of place about being in and under the water and then stepping out without getting any of it on you. Too "businesslike" for recreational diving, but great if that's where you spend the day in the office, I suppose.