Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 13:35   #1

Boat: Norseman 400
Hylas 46 ($300,000)

Private party is looking for a Hylas 46, preferably on the west coast. We are aware of what is already listed on all the popular websites.
Price should accrately reflect conditon of the yacht, including engine, sails, rigging, and the like.
Cash sale. We are willing to work with a broker or without a broker if your yacht isn't yet listed.
Please send an email and we'll respond promptly. Feel free to send any referalls our way as well. Thanks for reading!
Old 01-02-2013, 17:58   #2

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Hylas 46 ($300,000)

Well, just for the heck of it, I went to YW to look at Hylas 46s. Just so you know, we we've always liked the Hylas 47/Stevens 47, and we were actually looking at a Hylas 44, when our ridiculous was accepted on our Macintosh 47. Wow. The similarities are... stunning. I dragged my wife over to the computer to look at the 46s, and she said "WHOA!".

So, with that said, I'd suggest that you also look at Macintosh 47s. Yes, there's only 1 available on YW, but you might just consider it. I love the Hylas boats, but the Mac is superior in so many ways.

Here's a link to the owner's group website: McIntosh 47 Yachts - Fast cruising yachts for discerning owners

And, here's our layout, which is typical of the later boats. Note how similar it is to the Hylas 46!: http://api.ning.com/files/13lHEO8I-D...47_drawing.jpg

The biggest differences in the below decks layout is that the forward (guest) stateroom also has separate head/shower (the shower is TILED), and the guest stateroom has it's own settee. Guests just LOVE this stateroom: A queen length bunk, a settee that seats 3, a separate shower and head.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:02   #3

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the info. We are looking for a boat for offshore cruising and are using John Neal's "Boats To Consider for Offshore Cruising" list as a buying guide. Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

Since we have made our share of mistakes in the past, we are now willing (read: old enough) to learn from other people's wisdom. The McIntosh isn't on the list. Is it an obscure/rare boat?

Since we can't test sail each boat we look at before making an offer, we also run them through this calculator to get an idea of "cruisability" - lol if that's even a word.
Sailboat Design and Stability

I tried to edit my post above, but don't have access to an edit key.
In our Hylas we are looking for:Thanks very much for the reply. We do appreciate it.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55   #4

Boat: Oyster 53

Yachtworld is the best place online to get a feel for the market. We have used the site extensively over a period of 10 years or so.

While the MacIntosh may indeed be a great vessel, one thing to keep in mind is "resale." I know it's hard to imagine that one day your little daughter is going to grow up and get married and it is equally hard to imagine when looking for a boat that one day you will have to sell her. If on YW there is only 1 or 2 models for sale over a period of time of a given boat that is a good idea of the size of the market.

A boat with a brand name, such as Hylas or Tayana, will almost always sell much more quickly and at a higher price because the market is there.

If you are planning on going offshore and eventually selling your boat in Asia, or Europe then you also need to be conscious of what will sell in those markets. We had a Tayana 52 which has great name recognition in the US. However, when we ended our cruise in Spain and put her on the market there - nobody had ever heard of Tayana in Europe and she was very difficult to sell. If she had been a Hallberg Rassy, for example, she would have sold much faster. We ended up selling her to some Australians who found her...........on YW.

I will never buy a "custom" boat either, no matter how cheap (well, she would have to be a real steal) for the same reasons above.

Enjoy the search - it is half the fun!

Dhillen
Old 02-02-2013, 12:40   #5

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

They only built 16 Macintosh/Mcintoshes. One is on the bottom in Samoa. Late 80s was a bad time to be in that business. They quit building them when they realized that they were losing over $100K on each one. It was Tim King's first boat. He's now building a 50 meter in Taiwan - and is well recognized in the super yacht business.

As I said, I love the Hylas/Stevens boats - but the Mac is a REALLY fine boat. Too.

P.S. Recently we were offered $100K more for our boat, unsolicited, than we paid for it.
Old 13-02-2013, 16:36   #6

Still looking for a Hylas 46 on the west coast...
Thanks!
Old 19-04-2013, 19:02   #7

Still looking! Surely, someone has to know someone with a Hylas for sale on the west coast?
Thanks, mates!
Old 19-04-2013, 20:46   #8

Boat: Hylas 54
This guy has one in Lake Michigan

He mentioned it on the hylas owners mailing list.
Old 21-04-2013, 05:36   #9

Where do I find the "Hylas Owner's Mailing List?"
Thanks.
Old 21-04-2013, 08:21   #10

Boat: Hylas 54
It's at

http://milepost1.com/archives/hyoa.html

Pm me and I can give you his email address.
Old 10-05-2013, 17:44   #11

No longer looking.
Thanks, Mates!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:37   #12

As you have learned, Hylas yachts don't turn up for sale often on the west coast.
Several months ago , a beautiful 2001 '46 named "Aurora" sold in the SF Bay Area.
However, she went for a price closer to $400,000 than $300,000. A newer '47 was on the market about the same time but its price was closer to $500,000. Aurora, by the way, did not arrive on the west coast afloat. The owners had her trucked to California from Annapolis. There are a few firms that do a really terrific job of transporting ( by land) relatively big saiing vessels; it is not an inexpensive exercise - perhaps about equal to the cost of two years cruising frugally.

We are on the west coast and had to go to the east coast ( Fort Lauderdale) to find our '46.

Ciao,
HV
Old 05-08-2013, 16:36   #13

The Norseman 447 CC worth considering too. I acquired one after looking at the Hylass 46 amongst others and I saved some cash and got a boat just as nice IMO.

Tags
Hylas