Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2014, 05:46   #1

Question I want to learn to sail

Hello,
I am a 50 year old fire chief that has never sailed but I am interested in learning to sail. I want to buy myself a sail boat and enjoy sailing especially when I retire. I live near Savannah Georgia and would like someone to teach me and show me what I need to know. If you would be so kind please let me know and I will contact you or you can contact me. Thanks in advanced!
Old 19-04-2014, 07:33   #2

Re: I want to learn to sail

Probably better to take some organized lessons as your first move.
Old 19-04-2014, 07:53   #3

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

This is the kind of thing that you might get from friends, but highly unlikely from strangers. Look for regular races in your area that might be looking for rail meat, hang out at the places sailors in your area hang out at and get to know them - the normal things one does to make friends, but specifically aimed at sailing.

If you are willing to invest, find a sailing club that offers lessons and rentals, but also has racers that you can meet. They are more likely to want you on their boat if they know you at least have the basic vocabulary down.
Old 19-04-2014, 07:55   #4

Boat: Ocean Alexander
I want to learn to sail

Welcome aboard! Heading to your local yacht club and asking around to see if anyone needs green crew might work but I second the suggestion you take organized lessons. The information is presented sequentially and logically. Finishing a class or two will make you more useful as a crew member on someone else's boat as well. Good luck . Sailing into retirement is a great way to go.
Old 19-04-2014, 08:07   #5

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Chief,
Learning to sail can be a lifetime experience. And, if sailing is something you truly enjoy, it will be an interesting experience.

For starters, the suggestion offered by Letsgetsailing3 is probably the best approach. I don't know what opportunities may be available in Savannah. But here in Daytona Beach, we have a sailing association that provides memberships at a very reasonable fee. With the membership, small boats are available as well as volunteer instructors and learn-to-sail programs. Suggest you see if something along these lines might be available in Savannah.

If you find yourself near Daytona, I'd be happy to spend a little time with you.

Mac
Old 19-04-2014, 14:52   #6

Thanks Mac,
I am in Daytona from time to time so I will give you a yell when I'm heaeded that way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seighlor View Post
Chief,
Learning to sail can be a lifetime experience. And, if sailing is something you truly enjoy, it will be an interesting experience.

For starters, the suggestion offered by Letsgetsailing3 is probably the best approach. I don't know what opportunities may be available in Savannah. But here in Daytona Beach, we have a sailing association that provides memberships at a very reasonable fee. With the membership, small boats are available as well as volunteer instructors and learn-to-sail programs. Suggest you see if something along these lines might be available in Savannah.

If you find yourself near Daytona, I'd be happy to spend a little time with you.

Mac
Old 19-04-2014, 14:55   #7

Thanks everyone for replying and I appreciate your advice and will take note! I was hoping someone from near Savannah that needed a green hand might read the post and offer to let me tag alone sometime.
Thanks again!
Old 19-04-2014, 15:39   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hey Chief, I always wanted to be a fireman. Could I come down to your station and have you spend some time showing me how to drive a big firetruck and squirt water on fires?

Seriously (the above was not serious if that was not obvious), what you suggest is how many of us older folks got our early instruction in sailing. Commercial tuition was not commonly available back then, and friendly folks tried to fill in that role of instructor. In my case I got hooked in one weekend on a fellow novice's boat, the next weekend I bought a 15 foot day sailor and read a "how to sail" book... and I was off running... and making mistakes, none of which turned out to be fatal to me, my family,or that lovely little O'Day Osprey. It worked well for me, YMMV.

Nowadays sailing schools abound, and we are told in places like CF that this is the "right" way to learn to sail. It works for many, but different folks have different learning styles. For me, the path I chose still seems right. I got a lot of hours on the water, I learn well from mistakes made, and after owning the O'Day for a year and a half I sold her for what I'd paid, so the costs were very low. You could do the same if you wanted.

Cheers and good luck,

Jim

Tags
sail