Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2010, 00:57   #1

I Want Your Baby !

My post may seem like a dream to some, but at the least, it might be a good read...

You and me... and her:

You:
You are the proud owner of a comfortable and seaworthy sailboat in the 35'-40' range (Monohull or Cat). Your baby has a few good years on her, but she is well cared for and has been treated like one of the family. She is special to you and you have done your best to take care of her, giving her all the love and attention she needs to keep her happy on the water, and comfortable while she waits for you patiently at the dock until your next adventure together. She looks great, is in great shape for her age, and she sails like a dream and understands what you want from her when you are out on the water together. She is more than comfortable to stay on for extended periods and makes you feel at home any time you have the pleasure to be in each others company. Her deck is a delight to be on and her below deck space is as cozy as a second home, warm and inviting with plenty of room to kick off your deck shoes and relax. With your love and care over the years, she has been able to keep her great figure and her classy beauty shines through, and she is as much fun to be with now as she was the first time you met her. Although you love her very much and love spending as much with her as you can, you are considering letting her go due to lack of time to sail, already purchased a newer or bigger vessel, or circumstances in your life have made it impractical for you to keep her any longer. Your main reason for still holding on to her is that you don't think there is anyone out there who is worthy of her or would take care of her and love her as you have, and is willing to keep her in good shape, maintain her beauty, and keep her where she is happy most, on the sea, or on the hook in a pristine bay along the coast of a remote and exotic location. You worry that if she were to fall into the wrong hands she would be neglected or worse, suffer a slow and painful death rusting away and slowly deteriorating in some far away dark and lonely slip as other boat owners pass her by and shake their heads and think... "What a shame, she was so beautiful."

Me:
It has been my lifelong dream to sail a boat to far away places. I am a former building contractor and the majority of my life has been spent on the sea riding waves (surfing) and in my earlier years I spent a lot of time sailing on Wednesday nights in the local Yacht club races in my home town. For the last thirteen years I have traveled the world surfing in some of the most exotic places ever seen, Maldives, Indonesia, Australia, Hawaii, Mexico, etc. During that time, I have had the pleasure to occasionally sail on some really great boats, but only for short periods of time. Many times on my trips to far away places I have seen sailboats tied up in some of the most beautiful anchorages ever seen and my thoughts were always the same, I wish that were me and that was my boat. I have been wanting to get my own boat for many years but I have never had the opportunity to do so. But I have a dream, and that dream is to have my own boat and I will hold true to that dream until it is realized.

I'm one of those "can do anything" kind of guys. When something breaks, I don't call a repair guy, I fix it myself, because I love doing it. I am a hands on person who isn't afraid to work on anything. I can fix just about anything, motors, rewire anything, refinish any kind of furniture or interior, build my own guitars, strip and paint a house, or build a new house. As a former building contractor and a guy who likes to get his hands dirty, I can fix or build just about anything. Years of experience doing remodels has taught me that anything can be fixed and made to be even better. I am at home anywhere I go, in a hotel half way around the world, sleeping on a hammock under a palm tree in Bali, in my own bed in my house (when I'm there) and I go with the flow in any situation. What I want most of all is to have my own boat, but not just any boat. I want your baby! I don't want to buy a used sailboat, and I'm not looking for a boat someone just wants to get rid of, that is not what I want. I want a boat that has a soul, a personality, definite character, and most of all, a heart. A boat that welcomes me on board with open sails and is ready to take me anywhere I want to go. She is strong, smooth and not afraid to go anywhere. She handles well and is as beautiful as she is firm on the water. She looks like a beauty on the sea or tied up at the dock and when I step on board, she rocks ever so gently as my bare foot hits the deck letting me know I am home. Although you have done your best to take care of her, there may be a few little things she needs, but when she takes one look at me walking up the dock, she knows there are many years ahead of us together on the sea and she knows she will be in good hands, loved, and cared for. She gives you a gentle rock letting you know, "He is the one" and you know she is going to be okay, and in good hands. When you do finally hand her over to me, we will both see each other fighting back the little tear that wells up in our eye, yours from perhaps a bit reluctantly, but happily, letting go of your baby but knowing in your heart she is in the right hands, and mine from knowing what it took for you to be able to do that.

My budget is $30,000 - $45,000 but your boat may be worth more than that, but you aren't so concerned with the "selling price" as you are with finding her someone who will love her and take care of her as you have for many years to come, and you might even almost give her away if you knew the right person had come along who would take care of her the way she deserves.

Am I dreaming? I hope so! I know that somewhere out there the exact situation I am looking for exists, the right boat for me and the owner who understands what I am saying, and that when you truly want something with all your heart, you'll get it. The only thing you have to do is put it out there and let the universe take care of the rest.

The End
Old 21-08-2010, 09:59   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
geeez--gimme 20k cash, firm, and my ericson 35mII is yours as long as you pass my lil test.....isnt difficult---99.99999% of worlds population will pass ......price rises for schmaltz..
Old 21-08-2010, 10:11   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
FWIW there are many boat owners that are in trouble financially...but like most of humanity ...you usually need everything you can get out of your "Baby" you can once that point is hit.....

I suppose what your really looking for is your own personal philanthropiest....He might be out their ....good luck to you....its the dream of us all really..every time we purchas a boat..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:18   #4

LOL.. i am able to wait out the market--- but i am not rich--the monthly expense to keep is no problem to me. i am aware of market..there are many folks seeking a free ride--there are many folks able to give one--good luck in your search....
Old 21-08-2010, 10:57   #5

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Oh

I thought this thread was the next evolutionary step on from the dating games in Single sailors seeking a soul mate.

I saw Zee's name next to the threat title and thought WOW, either Salty Monkey or David have been busy convincing her to heave to for a while.
Old 21-08-2010, 11:02   #6
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
SaltyMonkey WAS indeed here lurking with babybottle in hand, but then read this @#&$(&@(#$ but alas....SaltyMonkey stuck around to give zeezee moral support.
Old 21-08-2010, 16:18   #7

and i am waiting to see if i am familiar with the originator of the schmaltz scribed herein...with a true barf bag in hand...... sniffing the air as does bubba daboatkat seeing who and what is out there. the wording is most familiar--

smb--i promise i wont tell anyone i think yer ok ..

i know there are folks out there in dire need of ........--i hope this writer and the soul most needing a boost from selling boat do meet and agree on a deal not hurtful to the seller.
Old 21-08-2010, 18:59   #8

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearLifeXpert View Post
My post may seem like a dream to some, but at the least, it might be a good read...

yes and no
Old 21-08-2010, 20:02   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
There are quite a few boats for sale in Clear lake Texas, I will keep an eye out for a steal. Plus, if you walk the docks and see a boat that is neglected just ask the marina manager to give the owners your phone number - they may be willing to sell at a good price.

I have a friend that has a boat ready to go, (heck I am in love with her and I already have a boat) but I think they are asking around 80-90, so a bit outta your price range.

I totally relate to your post, I get very mushy when I talk about my boat, we sailors are a poetic lot. Good luck, I think your dream is great. I hope you find your vessel to love.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 21-08-2010, 20:03   #10

Iffin I smoked weed I would ask for a toke...NLX
I gotta say I was seein double just reading, er, tryin to read that soulful request for a baby.
Good luck dude!
Old 21-08-2010, 20:14   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Welcome aboard Billy…. Certainly did enjoy your Zany antics in this movie..

Old 21-08-2010, 22:01   #12

This is a good thread and has got me thinking about where I am now, looking for boats. Also, who I am.

I've no issues, whatsoever, kicking a banker in the nuts, to buy a foreclosed property. I've done it. You made a stupid loan, this is what it costs you.

I relish buying shares from panicked investors, desperate to sell their equity in perfectly good companies, with bright futures, for pennies on the dollar. I am going to frame my paper confirmation slip for the Ford Motor Company shares I bought last year for $1.12 each. Ford will make us proud, I am sure, eventually.

But I am looking at boats now. Meeting their owners, who are sailors. Good people, in financial straits that force them to sell. There are few buyers and I know it. I was on a boat today that I liked. Seller tells me he is primary care giver to his sick wife. Can't show me his boat. So he sends me permission to enter his marina and his boat, sends me the combination to the companionway lock and tells me where the keys to the lockers and engine are hidden inside. He says go look.

So I go. I open it up. Hot, damp, needs air. So I open all hatches and go get luch. I come back, look through the whole thing and find boat needs enormous elbow greese. Structure is good, decks are hard.

I open the bilge, it's full. There's no automatic pump in it. I find the handle for the cockpit-mounted pump handle below, in the damn dish rack. The cockpit's female pump connector is cracked, broken. I make the damn thing work and spend half an hour pumping the bilge dry.

I also spent time un-clogging the cockpit drains, digging out leaves, etc. I feel emotional connection to the boat (obviously) but can't kick the seller on his price. The boat needs A LOT of work, but I like it and can do it, myself. Do I tell him it's worth half his (already reasonable) asking price, or move on?

This is hard for me, as I'm dealing with PEOPLE that I relate to. Does working though brokers help, or do I just not make it peronal and let Mr. Market decide? Thanks for any insight.
Old 22-08-2010, 03:57   #13

Well, for me I have wanted to sail all my life and I am going to do it. Just recently my sister was hit by a semi truck and died, my Mother died shortly after. I know they didn't live their life's dreams, but their passing made it crystal clear to me that I definitely will live mine. I plan on naming the boat after them.

I'm not looking for a free ride or a handout, I am looking for a good boat I can afford and that I don't have to worry about falling apart when I'm out on the open ocean and will become a part of my life and take me where I want to go.

I thank all of you who have posted positive comments and I will take Ocean Girl's (Erika) advice and walk Marinas to look for a boat. That is very sound advice.
Old 22-08-2010, 04:18   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
A couple of rude posts were deleted from this thread. I am a little surprised that as we all pursue our dreams we would ridicule someone for pursuing theirs.

Welcome aboard nearlifeexpert and good luck with your dreams.

Hope the rudeness of a couple of people doesn't put you off our great forum.

For those (you know who you are) playing mean, please get a grip. You were all new here once yourselves.
Old 22-08-2010, 06:37   #15

Thanks Ex Calif,

I think sometimes people forget they at one time too had no boat and knew zilch about sailing, they didn't know a halyard from a hole in the wall, but I understand where I am and where I want to go. I remember when I used to call beginner surfers kooks, until I realized I was also a kook at one point, I've never said it again.

I love this forum and there are a lot of great people in here, I don't pay any attention to negative folks, they have their own issues. This forum has made me want to sail even more. I have been lurking on here for a while now, reading, studying, learning from everyone else and their experiences. I think this is the best place anyone who ever wanted to know about sailing and all the ups and downs of it could ever go.

Thanks