Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2013, 07:38   #166

Boat: looking again
Re: It never hurts to ask..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
atoll how far north ye coming whenye hit panama....
blue crab, you are fun!!! wanna meet ye , i think......lol--if fiberglass turns ye on, i can make ye really truly happy...LOL

the sacto delta is gorgeous and looks like a fun cruising ground.
th epictured boats are cool--

best of luck to ye, maui! continue to keep us posted
the sacto delta doesn't move, does it? or is that the delta queen? the river isn't that wide. i'm amazed at the size of the boats that get up here, lol
Old 21-03-2013, 08:18   #167
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

naaah it doesnt move except the tides....but, ye never know......is definitely pretty there, unless someone built condos in those gorgeous lil hidey hole places i used to drive near...
Old 21-03-2013, 08:57   #168

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauimichele View Post
the sacto delta doesn't move, does it? or is that the delta queen? the river isn't that wide. i'm amazed at the size of the boats that get up here, lol
I suggest you do a little looking around, the sac delta is a HUGE area.
The river that runs past sacramento itself is rather narrow.
There is the deep water channel for big ships into sacramento.

Here is another old cheap small sailboat, in Stockton, $1600 if we have given up on FREE.

1976 25' Lancer Sailboat

JackB
Old 21-03-2013, 10:54   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
I suggest you do a little looking around, the sac delta is a HUGE area.
The river that runs past sacramento itself is rather narrow.
There is the deep water channel for big ships into sacramento.

Here is another old cheap small sailboat, in Stockton, $1600 if we have given up on FREE.

1976 25' Lancer Sailboat

JackB
I haven't given up on free, but ion also open to cheap
Old 21-03-2013, 12:03   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

There are plenty of cheap boats around, but not all end up being cheap after you buy them. I spend a lot of time anchored out in the delta every year. Still unspoiled and beautiful. Easy living and the sunsets can be amazing.

Maybe take a ride around the marinas on the delta loop and asking around for cheap boats for sail.

Marinas in the California Delta
Old 21-03-2013, 12:48   #171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
very nice! good job! that all looks like a lot of trouble to me. i just wanna sip wine and watch sunsets and sunrises with some good organic coffee or tea. is that too much to ask?
i think unless you are very lucky you will have to spend a bit of money!

mine was just an example of a FREE boat that is now just about like having a NEW boat.

the moral of the story when it comes to any boat free or not is you will have to do some work on it .
Old 21-03-2013, 18:22   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
There are plenty of cheap boats around, but not all end up being cheap after you buy them. I spend a lot of time anchored out in the delta every year. Still unspoiled and beautiful. Easy living and the sunsets can be amazing.

Maybe take a ride around the marinas on the delta loop and asking around for cheap boats for sail.

Marinas in the California Delta
you are probably right, but my goal is to have a home away from home in the bay area where I grew up. I miss the SF bay so much and feel stuck here. I will never leave my kids and since my son is autistic, I will probably always have to share some sort of custody with their father. Sac is alright, but I just don't feel at home here. You are right tho, there are some amazing sunsets, but only because it gets so damn hot here! haha
Old 21-03-2013, 18:25   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i think unless you are very lucky you will have to spend a bit of money!

mine was just an example of a FREE boat that is now just about like having a NEW boat.

the moral of the story when it comes to any boat free or not is you will have to do some work on it .
yes, I realize that. I'm 46 and certainly no dummy!
Old 22-03-2013, 08:10   #174

update. made a great connection last night via craigslist. I found a guy who gets boats about once or twice a week that people can no longer afford. He takes over title and is a real barter enthusiast! he's open to most trades and has at least 15 right now, including a few sailboats. I'll go take a look next weekend when I don't have my kids. He even called me back to tell me about a free liveaboard/houseboat sitting position he found online in the area I want to dock. This is such an exciting adventure, even if I don't set sail anytime soon! I hope by May I have my little weekend get away! Anyone ever dock in Vallejo? debating there too, just to make my drive there faster for now.
Old 22-03-2013, 08:59   #175

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Wow MM...that is AWESOME NEWS! I can't wait to hear how you meeting goes!
Old 22-03-2013, 09:54   #176
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

This is amazing! The last time someone asked for a free boat he was bombbasted and raked over the coals for displaying such fortatude! He even looked like a movie star! I guess all those that threw off on him have not read your thread yet,or maybe since all things are subject to change they found a "change of heart"! Good luck with your hunt for a boat and I hope someone gives you a real nice one, something along the lines of an Oyster or a Hoilday Mansion ..I think that cute little photo of you may have helped out a lot,It did nothing for the guy that was said to look like a movie star however!..lol..
Old 22-03-2013, 10:02   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
This is amazing! The last time someone asked for a free boat he was bombbasted and raked over the coals for displaying such fortatude! He even looked like a movie star! I guess all those that threw off on him have not read your thread yet,or maybe since all things are subject to change they found a "change of heart"! Good luck with your hunt for a boat and I hope someone gives you a real nice one, something along the lines of an Oyster or a Hoilday Mansion ..I think that cute little photo of you may have helped out a lot,It did nothing for the guy that was said to look like a movie star however!..lol..
Hahaha! That's hilarious! Thank you! I hope so too!
Old 22-03-2013, 10:14   #178
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Anyone ever dock in Vallejo? debating there too, just to make my drive there faster for now.
Vallejo is a bit silted in in places depending on your depth of keel. OK for a houseboat, maybe not for a sailboat. Nice area, though the projects/ low rent area are sort of just down the street.

Benicia or Glen Cove marinas are nearby. Benicia is really nice and right down town.. If they have space that would be my pick in that area

Marina Bay in Richmond is actually pretty nice and pretty much always has space, even liveaboard space. I was there three years and felt safe enough. Actually safer then Vallejo and a nicer area, IMO.
Old 22-03-2013, 10:22   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

Vallejo is a bit silted in in places depending on your depth of keel. OK for a houseboat, maybe not for a sailboat. Nice area, though the projects/ low rent area are sort of just down the street.

Benicia or Glen Cove marinas are nearby. Benicia is really nice and right down town.. If they have space that would be my pick in that area

Marina Bay in Richmond is actually pretty nice and pretty much always has space, even liveaboard space. I was there three years and felt safe enough. Actually safer then Vallejo and a nicer area, IMO.
Thanks for the input. The more I'm on here, the more I'm leaning towards a sailboat. I really will only be on it probably 2 days a week and I won't need to be super comfy. I'm a life long camper and the sailboat just seems more fun I definitely will be considering marina bay in Richmond. I was trying to avoid bridge tolls with Vallejo and cut my drive time down a bit.
Old 22-03-2013, 10:36   #180
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well vallejo, is probably safe enough. I've stopped in there once an a while. Nice park area, SF ferry is just down the street too. Last Time I checked they had a silting issue and not much money for dredging.. About another 25 minutes to the Richmond marina (and one bridge toll).

There's also suisun marina near fairfield, not far off 80. Way up a slough but a nice little area....

Glen cove might have space and its the other side of 80 on the same exit to vallejo (780??), about the same distance as the vallejo marina.