Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2015, 04:59   #1

KISS antenna wanted

Anybody got one sitting around and don't need it let me know.
catketchme(at)gmail.com Thanks, David
Old 15-12-2015, 06:50   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: KISS antenna wanted

The KISS is a counterpoise system, not an antenna. You would not want to use one as an antenna.

If you are looking for a counterpoise, a KISS-equivalent can be built for $10 in parts and 30 minutes of time.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 15-12-2015, 12:03   #3

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter

I could use the DIY counterpoise instructions. The KISS price seems very high for what looks like a bundle of loose wires.
Old 15-12-2015, 17:47   #4

Ooops.....my bad. That's what I meant....counterpoise. I just passed my ham exam yesterday so still kinda green. Picked up a 700pro and 130 tuner. Looking forward to hooking it up and playing with it.
Cheers, new kid on the block, VA3AYE
Old 15-12-2015, 21:19   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

Polar Opposite, tanton, et al,
Three quick things that will help you all out immensely...

1) You will learn everything you could ever want to (or need to) know about the KISS (including pics), as well as how to build your own counterpoise that will be better (or at least as good), for free or at most $5....
Right here....
Re: KISS-SSB Counterpoise

Re: KISS-SSB Counterpoise

Just a VERY SMALL excerpt...
Quote:
grabbed some wire...and cut a few lengths..
[Please note that the exact res freqs are effected by these wires' close proximity to grd...just like they'd be on a sailboat...]
--- one at about 17.5' - 18' long...(which surprisingly made a nice 12mhz radial, just by chance!)
--- one to 16.2' (to approximate a 14mhz 1/4-wave radial)
--- one to 33.5' (to approximate a 7mhz 1/4-wave radial)

--- and then I cut two at random (that ended up being 14' and 16' each)
2) Secondly, you can obtain a much better RF Ground / Antenna Ground, for your system, by using other methods / other than an artificial counterpoise...

a) Such as a low-impedance direct sea water connection from the tuner grd lug to the sea water (typically via a grounding plate or nearby bronze thru-hull), thereby allowing the sea water that you're floating in to be your systems RF / Antenna ground...and a damned good one, at that!

Or...

b) Such as using as much of the long metallic parts of your boat as possible as your RF / Antenna ground...(those with metal hulls have it EASY!!)....use lifelines, stanchions, pushpits, arches, alum toe-rails (must tap into the toerail as the anodizing doesn't allow good electrical connection), metal tanks, lead keel, etc....
Tying all of these and connecting them to your tuner's grd lug, will give you a very good counterpoise...(not as good as using the sea water, as in the suggestion above, but a lot better than a KISS, and/or a home-made version of the KISS)

3) If you learn exactly what your RF ground / Antenna ground does (or is supposed to do), you'll grasp why some work significantly better than others....
Here, studying the books will be best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Opposite View Post
I could use the DIY counterpoise instructions. The KISS price seems very high for what looks like a bundle of loose wires.

I think the above info, and especially the links, will help you a lot!!!

Fair winds...

John

Tags
antenna, wanted