Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 16:26   #1

Lifes adventure, need a free sailboat(please read)

Howdy,

So my name is Andrew I am 24 years old as of yesterday(easter sunday april 8th) & I am an adventurer! I have held more jobs in more different areas than most people I know twice my age to name a few; photographer(successfully) an REI adventure guide, car salesman, soldier etc. to the point though... my newest life adventure is going to be a whole new life I am selling everything i own( not much anyway as I travel a lot) getting as much money together as possible & moving to belize or atleast belize to start off with. I have an inate problem with staying put! I am reaching out with the hopes someone knows someone or themselves have a sailboat they are willing to part with for free, something in good repair floating preferably something that I could live aboard( im ok with rough living) while i repair it! I have a fair amount of sailing experience in san diego and the great lakes areas so I am willing to fly to anywhere on the west coast or gulf area to pick up the boat possibly even the carolinas This would make my dream of living somewhere abroad, somewhere warm and condusive to keeping my depression away all the more plausible and easier with all the money id be investing in the boat instead of an apartment. thank you and feel free to respond via my email!
Old 09-04-2012, 16:39   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Lifes adventure, need a free sailboat(please read)

Here is one that Im willing to let go FREE- but you have to move quick as its ready to sink if some work is not done on it right away!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	postcard1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	39728  
Old 09-04-2012, 16:45   #3

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Its a kind of a fixer-upper but has some good lines
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	39729  
Old 09-04-2012, 16:46   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Its a kind of a fixer-upper but has some good lines
Thats the one you tried to give away last year to the last guy who wanted a free boat, too bad he did not move fast enough before it sunk!
Old 09-04-2012, 19:05   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagedrifter View Post
Howdy,

So my name is Andrew I am 24 years old as of yesterday(easter sunday april 8th) & I am an adventurer! I have held more jobs in more different areas than most people I know twice my age to name a few; photographer(successfully) an REI adventure guide, car salesman, soldier etc. to the point though... my newest life adventure is going to be a whole new life I am selling everything i own( not much anyway as I travel a lot) getting as much money together as possible & moving to belize or atleast belize to start off with. I have an inate problem with staying put! I am reaching out with the hopes someone knows someone or themselves have a sailboat they are willing to part with for free, something in good repair floating preferably something that I could live aboard( im ok with rough living) while i repair it! I have a fair amount of sailing experience in san diego and the great lakes areas so I am willing to fly to anywhere on the west coast or gulf area to pick up the boat possibly even the carolinas This would make my dream of living somewhere abroad, somewhere warm and condusive to keeping my depression away all the more plausible and easier with all the money id be investing in the boat instead of an apartment. thank you and feel free to respond via my email!

I see you are in Washington. Unless that's Washington, DC, I would suggest you start hanging out at boatyards and docks. Many yards have abondoned boats they will sell cheap just to get rid of them. Many of the docks around here have old boats covered in moss on them. Start leaving notes with offers on some of these. Get out there and it will happen, maybe not for free but close enough. It will cost you so much money to do a restoration that a little layout to get your foot in the door is nothing, if you cannot afford to pay anything at all up front then you cannot afford to maintain or own a boat either, let alone restore one.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:55   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

building a raft out of empty 2liter plastic soda bottels might fit your budget.

newt has a list of all the other stuff you might need here....

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post927819
Old 10-04-2012, 05:40   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

A free boat is not a boat you will want to invest a lot of money or sweat into, I am sure there are exceptions but, it costs money to own a boat that is in good repair little lone a boat that needs a lot of work. First off you have to keep it somewhere, where you can work on it. Many docks do not like DIY fixer uppers so your choices will be limited and probably expensive, then there is the cost of getting it sail ready. More then likely a free boat will not have a motor that works and sails that are worthless. These 2 things can set you back the cost of a reasonably good boat that already has them. If this is realy a dream for you, save up at least 10K then go shopping. Don't let your dream become your nightmare.
Old 10-04-2012, 14:14   #8

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

There aren't many things as expensive as a free sailboat.

Noble dream. Reality though is gonna be much different for you. Good luck though!
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
Old 10-04-2012, 14:37   #9

Boat: 1982 Oday 34

I tried to find a free sailboat. The best I found was a 27' for $1,000 that was full of water.

Another $1,000 in plywood, wiring, and an outboard motor + mount, and she was sailing. It took closer to $6,000 and almost 3 years of work to actually get her looking nice and to have a running inboard diesel.

I could have just started sailing right away with a 27' $6k boat that had never been sunk.
Old 10-04-2012, 14:57   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I suppose you could start where the rest of us have...The jobs offered section of your local newspaper.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-04-2012, 21:28   #11

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Yay! JETEXAS and CELESTIALSAILOR get smiley faces for the best, most honest answers today.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:39   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

My friend had a boat he built and gave it away for free. It needed some work but was a good wood boat with a copper clad hull. It just needed some plywood replaced and glass over and would have been a good world cruiser.
The two guys he gave it to let it sink at the dock because they had nothing invested in it and could not afford to buy materials and didn't have the skills to maintain it.
My friend was heartbroken and so was I because I encouraged him to find someone to give it to. He would rather have taken it out beyond the 3 mile mark and sink it rather than let it sink and rot at the dock.
I would never encourage anyone to give away a boat again. There has to be some investment so that the new recipient of the gift doesn't feel that they can just walk away.
Good luck in whatever comes your way. There are very many very cheap boats in the Puget Sound. I see them daily on craigslist. Also marinas have auctions and all they want to do is recover their dock fees.
kind regards,
Old 11-04-2012, 11:52   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
There are very many very cheap boats in the Puget Sound. I see them daily on craigslist. Also marinas have auctions and all they want to do is recover their dock fees.
kind regards,
.....yes...but will you buy me a plane ticket to Puget Sound, so I can find a boat for free???
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 11-04-2012, 11:55   #14

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Even if someone gives you a free boat, it is a poisoneous gift! To refurbish a boat cost $$$$$$ and efforts that somebody looking for "the good live" or "the adventure" will probably never do! I agree that giving a boat is the surest way to see her rot in a yard or sink at a dock. If you cannot purchase a boat, you will not be able to maintain it and even less able to upgrade it, unless you work steady, save your money and put it all in the project. The adventure becomes very boring then...
Old 11-04-2012, 12:04   #15

There's 1/2 dozen floating derelict boats outside Marina del Rey, CA. They are still floating and can probably be had for next to nothing!
Don