Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2012, 08:10   #1

Liveaboard sailboat needed in caribbean/central america.

I am a 24 year old marine biologist and after years of multiple jobs and dedicated saving, i am finally ready to buy a sail boat and live the dream. I am looking for a large liveaboard, 40" or more, which i plan to use as a platform for a small group of people to perform research and run an ocean based social enterprise in the caribbean region.

My budget is low at $20,000, although i may be able to stretch a little further for the right opportunity. I am time rich but money poor, so i am looking for something that is mechanically and structurally sound, but i am prepared to fix up anything that might be in poor cosmetic condition. I need a large and roomy boat, capable of accommodating large groups of people and providing lots of storage. Primarily i am looking for something in florida/south-east USA, but am happy to buy anywhere in the caribbean/central america region.

If you are looking to sell your boat to someone who will really make the most out of it, with a spirit of adventure, exploration and research and a mission to contribute to people in need and the environment - then please get in touch. I am a serious buyer and have the cash ready to go. Since i am a first time buyer, any advice or direction would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers very much!
Old 19-08-2012, 23:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Liveaboard sailboat needed in caribbean/central america.

The problem with trying to find a 40'-ish ocean capable cruising boat within your budget is that you will be looking at a lot more than cosmetics that need attention. Think rig, rebuilding diesel, new standing rigging, new running rigging, new sails, various structural repairs, etc. These sort of projects inevitably cost more than what you'd spend on a boat that is already functional for your intended purpose.

I'd buy something smaller for yourself to live on and sail then find some volunteer opportunities with organizations like OceansWatch and similar. www.oceanswatch.org

Remember that purchase price is only the start. Maintaining a 40 footer costs exponentially more money than a 40 footer. What's your annual budget for maintenance, repairs, upgrades, moorage, insurance, etc?
Old 20-08-2012, 04:39   #3

I realise the budget is extremely low, although i have seen listings on yachtworld/sailboatlistings for boats of that size that supposedly are "ready to go" (engine working, decent rigging and sails). I am not necessarily looking for a boat capable of crossing oceans, just something that is capable of island hopping around the caribbean.

I can spend another $5000-10,000 initially on any upgrades/repairs (or a higher asking price). My yearly maintenance budget will depend entirely on what i am earning, hopefully i can spend around $8-10,000 per year. I am planning to live off the anchor as much as possible to avoid marina fees, hence i would like something comfortable. A motorsailer would not be out of the question.

Do you think it's possible for four people to live comfortably on a boat less than 40"?
Old 20-08-2012, 09:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

If you believe brokerage listings claiming a boat is "ready to go" I have a bridge you would be interested in buying. Island hopping in the Caribbean requires a boat that can stand up well to the often boisterous conditions. While many of the islands are fairly close (daysails), there are some longer hops.

When you say four people, are you referring to four single people or two couples? Most cheap boats in the 40' range will have two staterooms at most. For short periods of time you can put up with people living in the salon and such but most people won't find it too practical.

What you may want to do is get involved with an existing NGO/non-profit to find potential missions that you could become involved with. Then, with a specific project in mind you might be able to solicit use of a philanthropic individual's boat. We're (semi) retiring in a few years and will have our boat supporting NGO activities several months out of the year. In my case, I'll be running the boat but there are other boats in service where the owners have donated use of the boat.

From my perspective, you don't have the financial resources to pull this off with a 40' unless you're willing to take some risks and make some significant compromises. I'd say go for it but if you're going to put other people on the boat, you have some responsibility (IMHO) to provide a safe seaworthy, and appropriately outfitted vessel.
Old 20-08-2012, 10:46   #5

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I found two for this price in the Caribbean, but I lived there at the time and could physically look at the boats before I bought one. I'd suggest you get a good look at any selections before you buy and take along someone you trust who has good knowledge of boats.
Old 20-08-2012, 11:57   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Elandra, as others have said your budget vs reality is not a great match. Why do you feel you actually need to OWN a boat? With $20K in your pocket you could get some training, build some experience, and spend time working/crewing on other people's boats -- and getting paid to do it! I did a LOT more sailing before I started buying boats. Now, my ratio of "boat work" time (and expense) to sailing time is pretty ugly. I could, and have in the past, stay busy full time on other peoples boats if I were so motivated.

If you go the purchase route, then after the $20K is gone, which is going to be immediately and then some for anything approaching your objectives, how do you plan to fund the cost of owning a boat?

(PS: 40" = forty inches, 40' = forty feet)
Old 21-08-2012, 03:41   #7

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions - they are extremely useful and appreciated. I may have read too many stories online of fortunate people picking up bargain boats to go sailing around the world and realise it may be over ambitious to expect a similar outcome. However, i am determined to own my own boat - even if it means going smaller than planned and sacrificing on comfort.

Belize Sailor: I guess the reason i am deadset on owning my own boat is freedom. The dream is to be able to go where i want, when i want and do what i want. If i am working on other peoples boats i have to live to other people's agendas. I work as a type of environmental consultant in the offshore oil industry and can continue to do this freelance from wherever i like. It pays well and so thats how i intend to finance the running cost of a boat. i would like to use my free time to work on my own projects and if all goes well, one day i can rely on them instead. Plus, i can't bring a partner and 2 friends along to someone else's boat.

Island Planet : The four people consists of one couple and two singles. I agree about the responsibility for something seaworthy and won't be settling for less. This might mean i will have to go smaller than intended and be less comfortable.

tbodine88: Good to know you've found boats for that price before, where were you in the caribbean? Like i said, i am time rich but money poor, so i was planning on putting myself in the kind of situation you had yourself - living in the right place so you can be there at the right time. i have no deadline for a purchase and so in a few weeks i will relocate from the uk to the caribbean region (starting with florida) and being waiting around. Are there any hotspots you could suggest?
Old 21-08-2012, 06:01   #8

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
I found two for this price in the Caribbean, but I lived there at the time and could physically look at the boats before I bought one. I'd suggest you get a good look at any selections before you buy and take along someone you trust who has good knowledge of boats.
I was living in Antigua where I had looked at every boat for sale on the island, most of which were way above my price range or too small to go ocean cruising comfortably. I'd flown down to St Lucia to look at an Ericson 32 Krakadawn the owner of which had ceased paying the marina in which it was kept on the hard. I could of had it for $10,000, but would have needed another 10,000 to get her ready to sail. When I came back to Antigua, I met some one at the Dog Watch Pub wanting to sell theirs for $15k. I bought that boat, Badger, and sailed her back to the states.

I think you'd find more options for boats around Florida, plus the availability of good suppliers for out fitting is better. The problem in Antigua is there really were very few boats to choose from. Its an island after all. In Forida there are boats on three coasts many of which are just rotting in their marinas, some of which are for sale. Not to mention hundreds or thousands of project boats, whose owners have given up.

This holds true of all of the states. For instance I know of an ocean capable cruiser in Lake Travis TX for just 7K. The problem is of course getting it to the Gulf.
Old 21-08-2012, 08:31   #9

Sounds like florida is the place to be then. Thanks for the tip. I will be heading there indefinately in a couple of weeks, scouring the marinas so hopefully i will find something!

Tags
Caribbean, Central America, liveaboard, sailboat