Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2008, 00:03   #1

Boat: C&C 30 Mk I
Looking for a boat, Pacific Northwest

I’ve sold my boat and I’ve been in the market for my next sailboat for about a month now, but I haven’t been having great luck and the summer sunshine here in British Columbia doesn’t last long, so I thought I’d see if anyone on the Cruisers Forum can suggest any leads—or if anyone’s selling.

My difficulty seems to be that my budget and needs are in an awkward range. I’m paying straight out of my pocket rather than financing through a bank or finance company (long dispiriting story there), so that means that my budget is about $25,000 Cdn, which has to cover: a) the boat price; b) the 7% BC sales tax (plus another 5% federal tax, if I buy from the States); c) initial repairs and upgrades.

On the plus side, I already have moorage lined up. Also, my needs aren’t exorbitant. I need the following features:
  • 29+ feet length
  • furling
  • fibreglass hull
  • a reliable inboard diesel that I can easily get parts for
  • VHF, sounder
  • a dinghy
Notably, certain of these elements I can add in myself as upgrades, if the base price is low enough. There are plenty of other elements I’d like (such as wheel steering), but given my budget constraints I’m philosophic about what to hope for. A coastal cruiser is fine; I'm still tied to my (5) jobs, so I won't be crossing oceans for years yet. I do, however, need the boat's fundamentals to be in serviceable shape; I’m reconciled to having to fix up any boat in my price range, but I can’t buy anything that will eat up my dwindling summer with a major stint in the workyard (i.e., I don’t mind having to work on it through the winter, but it has to be useable in the short term).

Yachtworld and the other famous search sites seem to have quite a few such boats, but now that I’ve hunted all the brokerage listings in BC (and skimmed the cream of Washington State). It seems that all the boats listed in my vague range tend to be: 1) overpriced smaller boats that are pimped up or pumped up price-wise; 2) boats that should be $30k but which are in terrible shape; 3) boats that seem generally fine on paper but then turn out to Have Something Dreadfully Wrong.

Before a kindly soul inevitably suggests it: I have indeed done the “wandering marinas looking for ‘for sale’ signs and asking around at the marina offices and inquiring about boats that look unused” search thing. This approach is one of the few things in life that is truly both fun and depressing (and I have found that the Unrealistic Seller Price Expectations Syndrome tends to be even more in evidence when a boat owner receives an unsolicited buyer inquiry). Moreover, a trip down to Florida or California to round up a deal isn’t in the cards, schedule-wise.

I’m finding myself down to a dwindling few choices, which I’m going to look at this weekend down in Washington State, and I’m running out of summer, so I thought I’d see if any of the Cruisers Forum folk in BC or Washington has any hot tips or trusty beasts they’re thinking of selling.

I suppose I might be interested in owner financing for a boat priced above my budget, but as a writer, scholarly journal editor, PhD Education student, and part-time professor, I’m frankly too shifty for people to trust.

Any leads?
Old 21-06-2008, 01:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
5 jobs?

5 jobs!

The money must be rolling in...

Now if you can roll up your sleeves, get down and dirty and do whatever it takes in six to twelve months you should be past all those heaps of @&*% and be able to buy something decent.
Old 21-06-2008, 09:52   #3

5 jobs....

5 jobs indeed -- problem is that only two of them pay. (Personal writing and academic journal editor don't pay in real cash, and full-time PhD studies actually demands my money, so I should probably not whine that it's a 'job,' hee, hee.) Of the other two jobs, one actually almost pays okay. All kidding aside, so many people in the world are doing jobs they hate, that I do honestly feel fortunate in my careers.
Old 21-06-2008, 10:00   #4

I imagine in your neck of the woods boats are very seasonal things. You're trying to buy a boat right in the peak of season. I suspect that if you can hang in there for a few months and wait until the first chill in the air comes around, you'll probably find owners stepping down off of their high price. If you want it right now, to use this summer, expect to pay a premium.

I think your price and expectations are in line with what's available around here, though.
Old 21-06-2008, 11:28   #5

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
If you are interested in a Cal 2-29 that meets all of these requirements plus comes with a trailer for transport / winter storage and comes in below your budget, PM me. Mine is for sale so that we can step up in size to better accommodate our large family.

Old 21-06-2008, 18:01   #6

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
BC sell boat in summer buy boat in winter- old Indian saying.
Old 21-06-2008, 22:33   #7

a boat tip -- a Westsail 32

Hi All:

I just did a 10-hour road trip to see a single boat, a Catalina 30, and within 30 seconds of stepping aboard I found delamination under its mast; I pulled up the cabin carpet and found waterstains at the bottom of the interior bulkhead, showing that the leakage is deep. I pity the owner.

Looking at the replies so far: the fisher37 is a gorgeous boat--I wonder if the owner would accept a Nigerian check? More seriously, though, I've PMed Clausont for more details about that Cal 2-29.

Here's a boat tip that might do someone else on the board some good. I just saw in Washington a Westsail 32 that is has not been listed by the broker yet. It's a real solid, salty beast that's too serious a boat for a beginner like me. If someone's looking for a solid deepwater boat at a budget price, the broker suggests that $22k will take that one.

According to the broker, a couple purchased it with the intent of doing some extensive cruising, then broke up and put it back on the market, but not before pulling out a stove/cupboard plus a seat; so, the interior needs some work, but it's not gutted or even really a project. At the moment, its hull looks generally okay (as much as I can tell in the water), and its upper deck just has some cosmetic spotting in the gelcoat; also, to me at least, its volvo engine looked like a candidate for repowering. (The cockpit floor completely removes to open up the entire engine compartment.) The interior is heavy wood, but not factory teak etc--salty, not artistic. Needs updated wire and electronics, the usual.

So, somebody with a bit of skill and time who wants a blue water bargain might be interested in this one. It's at the Mahina brokerage on Bainbridge Island, Washington. (They have a Westsail 28, too.)

Cheers
Old 24-06-2008, 12:31   #8

Buddy,

I saw your post and thought I would respond. From what I read, it looks like you are looking for a boat in the Pacific Northwest. My wife and I are considering selling our boat and would be happy to give you more information if you or some one you know is interested. The boat is a 35' Marples trimaran. The hulls and much of the interior are nearly completed and it also has a 45' rotating mast and sails.

HOKADESH
Old 24-06-2008, 12:43   #9

Buddy,

I just read your first post and see that our boat won't work out for you at all. (The boat is out of your price range, too small for a large family and would likely take a large part of your summer to complete the interior, etc.) About the only thing that could possibly work is the location. (Our boat is located in Charleston, Oregon.) Sorry, but I'm a little new at this.

HOKADESH
Old 24-06-2008, 16:17   #10

Thanks anyway

Thanks for the thought anyway, Hokadesh. Sounds like quite the machine!
Old 24-06-2008, 17:54   #11

Hey Buddy, was your old boat Cat 27? i'm planning to buy that as my first boat.
So i wonder if you could give me some idea of how much it would cost.
Could you tell me how much did you get it for? How much does it cost for you to insure? was it hard to find the moorage? waiting list?

i look through yachtworld and craigslist and it looks like there're way more better deal down in california. i've been thinking about buying the boat in cal and then sail it up here myself after i get CYA cert. Maybe you should do the same, there're many nice boat in your price range.
Old 25-06-2008, 08:43   #12

PM Me, Dive Blue

Hi DiveBlue:

A cat 27 for a beginner is a pretty sound idea, assuming you get a pretty sound cat 27. If you're a beginner (not that I know that you are), sailing a cat 27 up the west coast is a pretty big undertaking -- not the best sailing coast, they tell me.
I'll be happy to answer all your questions (or at least donate a modestly informed opinion) about cat 27s, the regional boat market, regional mooring, insurance etc, but that's a long conversation. PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Cheers,

Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveBlue View Post
Hey Buddy, was your old boat Cat 27? i'm planning to buy that as my first boat.
So i wonder if you could give me some idea of how much it would cost.
Could you tell me how much did you get it for? How much does it cost for you to insure? was it hard to find the moorage? waiting list?

i look through yachtworld and craigslist and it looks like there're way more better deal down in california. i've been thinking about buying the boat in cal and then sail it up here myself after i get CYA cert. Maybe you should do the same, there're many nice boat in your price range.