Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2011, 13:30   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Looking for Cruising Nanny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpattyd View Post
Let me get this straight: you had sex with two different women, not planning on procreating, but did, and the women are losers so you have to take the children and sail around where ever and need a nanny to teach them and cook and clean while you sail. And it is the woman judges' fault for wanting the two year old's mother to be involved in the child's life? Did you not notice that both the women you procreated with had issues? Why do you think a nanny would want to be with you? It seems the only side of the story is your rant. Maybe you should re examine this plan and put the children first. JMHO
I think they were different nights....

Just sayin'

(twice in 5 years? some of us should be so lucky )
Old 27-12-2011, 13:48   #47

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
And both times he forgot to close the seacock.
Old 27-12-2011, 17:11   #48
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
And both times he forgot to close the seacock.

LOL! I guess his "ball" valve was stuck!!

Sorry, somebody had to say it...
Old 27-12-2011, 18:32   #49

Boat: mt34dt

As the father of a 21 yr. old, and even though I have no legal right to stop her from going on such an "adventure"--I would. She would not be trapped by some unknown man out to sea or on some remote island. Granted I have no problem with her crewing if there are more crew aboard, but this set-up, well, smells a little fishy. Not trying to be negative here just think about your daughter doing what you are asking at 18?

Legally you are up against a lot. My brother just spent 30K and 2 yrs getting custody from a drug addict, convict, arsonist, whore, etc....and although he has full custody he has to allow her access on a weekly basis.

Why not custody in the summer of 2 yr. old when you will be around and just take your 7 yr. old alone, schooling would be a piece of cake. As a math/ physics teacher and retired meteorologist, life on a boat would provide endless possibilities for tying formal education to real life situations. I mated for my dad at 8 and could run the skiff solo at that age, and often did. In a year or 2 your daughter will be ordering you around on deck. Plus chances are when encountering different cultures and ladies see you properly raising your daughter you just may be able to get one to give it a shot.

I wish you the best, but when children are involve choices have to be made in their best interest, and if that means sailing home waters and possibility charting in the summer in the islands--so be it. Fair winds and following seas.

Mike
Old 27-12-2011, 19:17   #50
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid
It seems hard to get a reply on connnecting a macerator but the boys all have lots of ideas on this topic,
You want to know how to connect a macerator? Connect the red wire to the "+" terminal, and connect the black wire to "-".

Really. It's just not that hard.
Old 27-12-2011, 19:23   #51
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1984

I definitely find it hard to find a good woman, obviously,
You want to connect with a good woman? In that case, the positive terminal....
Old 27-12-2011, 20:03   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtectTheOcean View Post
As so many have already pointed out, the wage isn't going to be the enticement.
The big problem is your gender bias. A guy can be just as nurturing and valuable an influence as a female. This is YOUR issue, not the issue of the kids or their needs.
If the need is home-schooling, you should be looking for someone capable of teaching the kids what they need to know, from the PEOPLE who would take you up on the offer to go cruising.

There are 3 pages of comments. I'm not going to read through it all. This is my comment, my advice. Of course, I think it's sound, or I wouldn't be offering it up.
Quote:
Let me get this straight: you had sex with two different women, not planning on procreating, but did, and the women are losers so you have to take the children and sail around where ever and need a nanny to teach them and cook and clean while you sail. And it is the woman judges' fault for wanting the two year old's mother to be involved in the child's life? Did you not notice that both the women you procreated with had issues? Why do you think a nanny would want to be with you? It seems the only side of the story is your rant. Maybe you should re examine this plan and put the children first. JMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
My wife and i were both work and we brought up two girls using au-pairs, which is more what your describing since nannies are essentially professional and expensive. While its was an amazingly rewarding experience and the girls got exposed to various cultures. Both my god it's hard work keeping track of 19-22 year olds. Some were terrible others were brilliant.

I can't see this working on a boat, firstly there the privacy issue, then the sexual tension, then there finding a girl comfortable with a boat and the sea, then you want them to be capable of teaching and t hen cook for them. Good luck mate, ps the European fusion project (JET) has a few sticky problems at the moment , perhaps you could sort them out first.

My view is anyone that does this job, will have major issues. Firstly any seagoing going female with half a wit never has trouble finding crew places. Why lump teaching kids on top of it..

Were you paying top bucks if might just be possible , but want you want is a pipe dream. Even if you convince someone, I suspect they'll jump ship at the next port.

Attend to your kids upbringing, forget the sailing. The only way you're going to do this is a compliant female partner that's preferably your wife and somewhat unlikely to jump ship when it gets tough. As many will testify here that's a tall order and the few that have them are holding on to them for dear life

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Try a month in the Keys and see if she (if you find her) is going to work out or as pointed out above, you may find yourself alone somewhere with two small children to care for and 800kn from home.
What you are asking sounds reasonable to you but you do realize you are essentially going on a solo sailing trip with 3 dependents that won’t be adding to the sailing of the boat, and if you want the nanny to stand watches, make sure you tell her before you head out. I think you are unrealistic in your needs, this whole must have a female role model is so last millennia. If you want a nuc family stay ashore, marry/enter a relationship and give them a female role model, if not go sailing and show them the world (I would pick 2).
Also having paid help moving from country to country, which of course you won’t ever mention to immigration, is a sticky subject and requires bonds posted and such in some countries.
I would think teaching your school aged daughter yourself and taking on help during passages makes more sense to me. I have seen that done by a single mother with 3 school aged children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think they were different nights....

Just sayin'

(twice in 5 years? some of us should be so lucky )

Okay, Sorry fellas, I spent two hours typing up responses to all of these comments and then when I submited I had timed out and my responses were all lost. I should have looked at the clock and realized but I didn't. It's probably better anyway, some of you really wouldn't have liked the responses. Maybe in a bit I'll feel like typing it all out a bit, right now, not soo much luck. I'm going to drink a damn beer and try going at it again.
Old 27-12-2011, 20:10   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta View Post
As the father of a 21 yr. old, and even though I have no legal right to stop her from going on such an "adventure"--I would. She would not be trapped by some unknown man out to sea or on some remote island. Granted I have no problem with her crewing if there are more crew aboard, but this set-up, well, smells a little fishy. Not trying to be negative here just think about your daughter doing what you are asking at 18?

Legally you are up against a lot. My brother just spent 30K and 2 yrs getting custody from a drug addict, convict, arsonist, whore, etc....and although he has full custody he has to allow her access on a weekly basis.

Why not custody in the summer of 2 yr. old when you will be around and just take your 7 yr. old alone, schooling would be a piece of cake. As a math/ physics teacher and retired meteorologist, life on a boat would provide endless possibilities for tying formal education to real life situations. I mated for my dad at 8 and could run the skiff solo at that age, and often did. In a year or 2 your daughter will be ordering you around on deck. Plus chances are when encountering different cultures and ladies see you properly raising your daughter you just may be able to get one to give it a shot.

I wish you the best, but when children are involve choices have to be made in their best interest, and if that means sailing home waters and possibility charting in the summer in the islands--so be it. Fair winds and following seas.

Mike

Believe me, I completely see where you would be coming from, except she would be on a boat with two small girls. That's better insurance than a crew of fully grown men, at least in my opinion. A small boat, there are no secrets, especially from the children. Most of the applicants who are replying to me are between 21 and 28, some are older, some are quite a bit older.

It may come down to custody in the summer and taking off with my 7 year old.

Summer in the islands wont be too likely with my insurance company, most I've come across wont insure me if I plan on being in the huricane belt during huricane season, I wouldn't want to be there either... LOL.
Old 28-12-2011, 03:58   #54
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1984 View Post
I spent two hours typing up responses to all of these comments and then when I submited I had timed out and my responses were all lost.
Welcome to CF
Old 28-12-2011, 05:18   #55
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

Welcome to CF
Yes, always copy your post into the edit buffer before clicking the post button.

cheers,
Nick.

Old 28-12-2011, 07:26   #56

Boat: Macgregor

Hi I'm new to this forum. Not sure I fit the bill. I own a small sailboat and love sailing. I was a special needs teacher for 9 years. I am returning to college to attempt to get my degree in studio arts. I am retired from teaching and am now an active artist. I love children and love teaching. I am older than you might want. I would be interested in learning more about an adventure such as this. Painting the seas would be a dream. Perhaps we could chat.
Old 28-12-2011, 07:30   #57

Boat: 33ft sloop

At least someone who could feed the bill ...... Hope for you both that something will work out .......
Old 28-12-2011, 08:04   #58

Boat: mt34dt

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianna View Post
Hi I'm new to this forum. Not sure I fit the bill. I own a small sailboat and love sailing. I was a special needs teacher for 9 years. I am returning to college to attempt to get my degree in studio arts. I am retired from teaching and am now an active artist. I love children and love teaching. I am older than you might want. I would be interested in learning more about an adventure such as this. Painting the seas would be a dream. Perhaps we could chat.
BINGO!
Old 28-12-2011, 09:52   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianna View Post
I would definitely be interested in chatting. There is no age limit, it's just more likely to be a younger person because of the attachments most people have, such as house payment, car payment. But as far as I'm concerned I'd rather have an older person with more knowledge and wisdom, also less likely to jump ship to party with the young guys on another boat... LOL. I'll send you a message with my email.
Thank you...
Old 29-12-2011, 13:23   #60

One person shows interest and everyone stops talking... LOL.

Tags
cruising